Trump's Wall Promises Screw Up Policy = Tail Wagging The Dog

Is The Wall The Tail Wagging The Donald/Dog?

• yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • brilliant analogy

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JBvM

VIP Member
Jun 7, 2018
... ... ...
Did Trumpeteers hear Trump say he will have Mexico paying/writing a check? Is this what Trumpeteers walked away expecting?

tail/wall wagging the Dog/The Donald - The point is, what did Trump say, what did he mean, and how did people interpret at the time and how do people now interpret what they heard...

This reminds me of the serious discussion of constitutional meanings and interpretations -- people can hear things, and read things and still not agree - sometimes not even with themselves. Many of the people who have spoken and written words don't always agree on exactly what they themselves meant, as if having an internal dialogue -- except with Trump he claims to have not spoken the words he has clearly spoken.

If ever there were a case to be made for the Tail Wagging The Dog .. we have one with Trump having trapped himself with campaign promises of a Wall

The Border Wall: How a Potent Symbol Is Now Boxing Trump In

The boldest promise of Donald Trump’s presidential campaign was also one of his first.

"I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me, and I’ll build them very inexpensively," Trump said, announcing his candidacy on June 16, 2015. "I will build a great, great wall on our southern border. And I will have Mexico pay for that wall."

Once A Fence, Later Slats, Almost Always A Wall: Trump's Border Wall Contradictions

Once A Fence, Later Slats, Almost Always A Wall: Trump's Border Wall Contradictions

Know what I find funny as hell? "Build the wall" wasn't so much a campaign slogan as it was a way for his handlers to get him to remember to talk about immigration during the campaign. However.................somehow it morphed from being a way to remember to talk about immigration and became a campaign slogan and eventually, a campaign promise he feels he needs to make good on.

Where The Idea For Donald Trump's Wall Came From

Donald Trump’s plan to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border did not come from security analysts following years of study or through evidence that a wall would reduce illegal immigration. Amazingly, for something so central to the current U.S. president, the wall came about as a “mnemonic device” thought up by a pair of political consultants to remind Donald Trump to talk about illegal immigration.

In 2014, Trump’s plan to run for president moved into high gear. His political confidant was consultant Roger Stone. “Inside Trump’s circle, the power of illegal immigration to manipulate popular sentiment was readily apparent, and his advisers brainstormed methods for keeping their attention-addled boss on message,” writes Joshua Green, author of Devil’s Bargain: Steve Bannon, Donald Trump, and the Nationalist Uprising. “They needed a trick, a mnemonic device. In the summer of 2014, they found one that clicked.”

Joshua Green had good access to Trump insiders, including Sam Nunberg, who worked with Stone. “Roger Stone and I came up with the idea of ‘the Wall,’ and we talked to Steve [Bannon] about it,” according to Nunberg. “It was to make sure he [Trump] talked about immigration.”

The concept of the Wall did not click right away with the candidate. “Initially, Trump seemed indifferent to the idea,” writes Green. “But in January 2015, he tried it out at the Iowa Freedom Summit, a presidential cattle call put on by David Bossie’s group, Citizens United. ‘One of his pledges was, ‘I will build a Wall,’ and the place just went nuts,’ said Nunberg. Warming to the concept, Trump waited a beat and then added a flourish that brought down the house. ‘Nobody,’ he said, ‘builds like Trump.’”

Losers cutting and pasting media crap and parroting it as gospel, again.

iu

you must have missed the sticky:

"Merged about 30 threads in this one forum JUST from today.. Topics on the shutdown showdown, what is a wall, emergency powers, all those stories. Just because you have a comment -- doesn't mean there should be a brand new thread... Just because a different media source weighs in -- don't need a new thread.

We're cutting lots of slack on the "on topic" rule here. Don't want this place to look like Twitter. Bad enough y'all are talking past each other when you're TOGETHER in one thread on a topic. Don't need to make that worse by having 4 or 6 simultaneous shouting matches on every daily outrage...

Gonna start closing/warning threads on folks who are abusing the thread creation button and NOT checking the listings before they post. Use judgement and courtesy please.. "

CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back