Trumpers tired of winning yet? Mine shutdowns in top US coal region bring new uncertainty

If Hillary had been elected the coal industry would be better off how? The lefts pride and joy the green new deal would benefit the coal industry how?

Retraining the miners for jobs in the green economy. Even a conservative could see that as a practical solution.
What jobs would those be?

What are the jobs most in demand in the areas where they live? That's usually a good starting point. Why doesn't the US government do retraining programs for the unemployed? You have millions of jobs you can't fill because the workers lack the skills, why not provide them with the skills? The American emphasis on everyone doing for themselves isn't getting workers prepared for the 21st Century.

If states were as interested in the training the skills employers need, instead of worrying about turning out good little conservative voters, your nation would be a lot better off.
It's not the governments job or responsibility to train people with the skills to find employment nor is their job to try and run industries they don't like out of business. As much as you liberals would like to everyone weak and depending on the government so you can control them and maintain power the majority see the danger in that and won't go for it.

And when they do provide training, no one hires them. It is just a game they play.

How about someone telling it like it is. Truth is as foreign as you are, Ivan.

If you had a choice between some one telling you, what they think it is, and that is, "You are fucked",

and someone who will to at least try to see that you are not fucked,

then no, there is not much value to "telling it like it is".

Especially if the difference, is at the least, going to be years of additional good pay and jobs.

I have no idea why you are still trying to play the "Hillary" card. She's politically dead. A non factor. Did you run out of data in your GRU database and have to recycle old information from 2016?

I would rather someone tell me the truth and then work with me on options. Telling a dead industry that Rump is going to make it all better when there is no way in hell that it can be just means that the options won't be worked on. Hell, they still aren't because too many people still believe in the lie. Better to face the truth dead on and work out options. Something you Ruskies don't understand.

The op attacks Trump supporters for supporting him specifically with regards to his pro-Coal stance.

That decision took place when the only other alternative was HILLARY, with her anti-Coal stance.

We've seen what happens, when people like you start to work out the options.

It means people like you talk to yourselves to pretend that you are addressing an issue, while people like me get fucked.

That you pretend that there is anything wrong with our decisions in this regard, is just you being an asshole.

You left out, "But Whatabout Bama".

The op attacks Trump supporters for supporting him specifically with regards to his pro-Coal stance.

That decision took place when the only other alternative was HILLARY, with her anti-Coal stance.

It means people like you talk to yourselves to pretend that you are addressing an issue, while people like me get fucked.

That you pretend that there is anything wrong with our decisions in this regard, is just you being an asshole.

Repeating the same lie over and over again doesn't make it the truth, Comradeski

I think they should keep their masturbatory fantasies to themselves, but it's a somewhat free country.

Dude. You are oversharing.

Yet you're the guy who pictures the aging doughboy President as the open-shirted terminator. Go figure.

When people like you stop discussing seriously and start doing nothing but posting silly anti-Trump propaganda,

I try to respond in kind.

You making it sexual, is all you.

ALL YOU.

We try but what we are met with is "Whatabout Hillary" or "Whatabout Bama". It's not about either of those two. It's about Rump. And Rump still spouts about making Coal great again. And until he starts a dialogue about finding alternative employment for those displaced mine workers, it's a dead deal. And you will just continue to blindly follow.

We have brought up some of the "New Green Deal" that covers that. You want no part of ANY of the New Green Deal. Even the parts that would work right now. Even the parts that we should be doing right now. So don't give us this crap about how we are blocking the discussion. And pull your head out your ass for a change.

1. Coal is still a vital part of our economy and it is not reasonable to just give up on those thousands of jobs.

2. Alternative employment is bullshit. I live in a rust belt city. That is just a way of pretending that politicians are addressing the problem, while people are fucking dying.

3. When someone like you attacks people like me, for supporting Trump, remembering what our choices were at that time, is completely valid, and it is asshole of you to pretend otherwise.

4. The parts that work right now, are working because of government subsidies and still raising energy costs significantly.

5. And you still talk like a fucking baby.

The way you post, you live in the Rust Belt alright.

What's sad, there are some very stark similarities.

If you had a choice between some one telling you, what they think it is, and that is, "You are fucked",

and someone who will to at least try to see that you are not fucked,

then no, there is not much value to "telling it like it is".

Especially if the difference, is at the least, going to be years of additional good pay and jobs.

I have no idea why you are still trying to play the "Hillary" card. She's politically dead. A non factor. Did you run out of data in your GRU database and have to recycle old information from 2016?

I would rather someone tell me the truth and then work with me on options. Telling a dead industry that Rump is going to make it all better when there is no way in hell that it can be just means that the options won't be worked on. Hell, they still aren't because too many people still believe in the lie. Better to face the truth dead on and work out options. Something you Ruskies don't understand.

Repeating the same lie over and over again doesn't make it the truth, Comradeski

But the truth is always a good answer to the lies people like you speak.

Dude. You are oversharing.

Yet you're the guy who pictures the aging doughboy President as the open-shirted terminator. Go figure.

When people like you stop discussing seriously and start doing nothing but posting silly anti-Trump propaganda,

ALL YOU.

We try but what we are met with is "Whatabout Hillary" or "Whatabout Bama". It's not about either of those two. It's about Rump. And Rump still spouts about making Coal great again. And until he starts a dialogue about finding alternative employment for those displaced mine workers, it's a dead deal. And you will just continue to blindly follow.

We have brought up some of the "New Green Deal" that covers that. You want no part of ANY of the New Green Deal. Even the parts that would work right now. Even the parts that we should be doing right now. So don't give us this crap about how we are blocking the discussion. And pull your head out your ass for a change.

1. Coal is still a vital part of our economy and it is not reasonable to just give up on those thousands of jobs.

2. Alternative employment is bullshit. I live in a rust belt city. That is just a way of pretending that politicians are addressing the problem, while people are fucking dying.

3. When someone like you attacks people like me, for supporting Trump, remembering what our choices were at that time, is completely valid, and it is asshole of you to pretend otherwise.

4. The parts that work right now, are working because of government subsidies and still raising energy costs significantly.

Your utter inability to serious respond to my points is noted.

Thus, all my points stand as the final word, till you grow some balls.

Another Donald Trump gut decision goes haywire as coal mines go bankrupt and the existence of communities is threatened.

Perhaps Donald Trump should visit and throw some rolls of toilet paper to these victims of his gut-wrenching policies. "At two of the world's biggest coal mines, the finances got so bad that their owner couldn't even get toilet paper on credit."

Donald Trump's rollback of EPA regulations was not enough to save the coal industry.

The economy of the US is creaking as Donald Trump's gut decisions prove wrong consistently and painfully.

Mine shutdowns in top US coal region bring new uncertainty

Mine shutdowns in top US coal region bring new uncertainty

MEAD GRUVER, Associated Press•September 14, 2019

The shutdown of Blackjewel LLC's Belle Ayr and Eagle Butte mines in Wyoming since July 1, 2019 has added yet more uncertainty to the Powder River Basin's struggling coal economy.

GILLETTE, Wyo. (AP) — At two of the world's biggest coal mines, the finances got so bad that their owner couldn't even get toilet paper on credit.

Warehouse technician Melissa Worden divvied up what remained, giving four rolls to each mine and two to the mine supply facility where she worked.

Then mine owner Blackjewel LLC filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on July 1. Worden figured the accounts would get settled quickly.
"The consensus was: In 30 days, we'll look back on this, and we made it through, and we'll be up and running, and it's a fresh start," Worden said.

What happened instead has shaken the top coal-producing region in the United States. Blackjewel furloughed most of its Wyoming employees and shut down Eagle Butte and Belle Ayr mines, the first idled by hardship since coal mining in the Powder River Basin exploded in the 1970s.

It's a big hit to the region straddling northeastern Wyoming and southeastern Montana, where coal has quietly supported the economies of both states for decades and fuels a shrinking number of power plants in 28 states.
Negotiations that could reopen the two Wyoming mines under new ownership are stalled more than two months later. Some 600 employees remain off the job. And doubts are growing about the long-term viability of the region's coal mines.

"I don't think we'll ever be that naive again," said Worden, 44.
Blackjewel, based in Milton, West Virginia, told its Wyoming employees this week that the mines might be running again soon and to let the company know if they wanted their jobs back.
Worden said she felt little reassurance. She's not the only one questioning long-held assumptions about Powder River Basin mines, which produce cleaner-burning coal less expensively than mines in other parts of the U.S. and weren't widely thought of being at risk.

But with coal in long-term decline, how the basin might eventually scale down production to a sustainable level has become a big question, said Rob Godby, director of the Center for Energy Economics and Public Policy at the University of Wyoming.

"The irony here — and it's really a cruel irony — is everybody is focused on getting these miners back to work. But really the solution to creating a healthy industry is some mines close," Godby said.

For now, little appears changed in Gillette, a city of 30,000 at the heart of the basin of rolling grasslands where tattoo shops are abundant and big, late-model pickup trucks still cruise the main drag.
This year, however, has been especially tumultuous. Three of the Powder River Basin's nine producers — Westmoreland Coal, Cloud Peak Energy and Blackjewel — have filed for bankruptcy since March. Two others, Arch Coal and Peabody, say they will merge assets in the region.

The turmoil comes as U.S. coal production is down over 30 percent since peaking in 2008. Utilities are retiring aging coal-fired power plants and switching to solar, wind and cheaper and cleaner-burning natural gas to generate electricity despite President Donald Trump's efforts to prop up the coal industry.
A decade ago, about half of U.S. electricity came from coal-fired power. Now it's below 30 percent, a shift that heavy equipment operator Rory Wallet saw as utilities became less willing to lock in multiyear contracts for Belle Ayr mine's coal.

"The market's changed," Wallet said. "The bankruptcies all tie into that."
Wallet, 40, who followed his father into the mine in 2008, said the recent closures and loss of his $80,000-a-year job surprised him. He has four children, and his wife's job at a restaurant in Gillette is their main income while they await news about the mines.

Blackjewel said Thursday that it was working on plans to restart the mines while pursuing their sale. There were no indications in federal bankruptcy court filings that the mines were set to reopen, however.
"This is a fast-moving and sometimes unpredictable process, and accordingly, we do not have answers to all of your questions at this time," the company's statement said.

Wallet is looking for a job and lobbying Wyoming lawmakers to fight harder to force Washington state to approve a port facility expansion that would allow more coal exports to Asia.
"The ports are going to be a big deal. Asia is going to be a big deal," Wallet said.
But Godby said the amount of coal that the proposed export terminal could handle would offset only a small fraction of the amount that production has declined.

Powder River Basin mines employ about 5,000 miners — 20 percent fewer than eight years ago. The impact is even wider because an additional 8,000 jobs, from teachers to car mechanics, have indirect ties to the coal industry.

Locals cheered when Trump lifted a federal moratorium on coal leases, but Worden and Wallet disagree about whether changing environmental regulations will do much good.
Both say coal should continue to have a place alongside renewable energy.
"It needs to be a group effort, not green is on one side and black is on the other," Worden said. "We don't want this community to die." ...
What is Trump supposed to do, subsidize them?

Comradeski, how many times are you going to cut and paste from your GRU playbook this same thing? it's still a lie no matter how many times you post it.

ALL YOU.

Your utter inability to serious respond to my points is noted.

Thus, all my points stand as the final word, till you grow some balls.

You keep just rewording the same lie. Get a better translator for your GRU spiffy comeback handbook.

Once upon a time there was thread. Now there is just the pile of shit above.

Thank You, liberals....America needs the fertilizer. About 5.5 more years of President Trump should allow that to compost quite nicely.

Comradeski, how many times are you going to cut and paste from your GRU playbook this same thing? it's still a lie no matter how many times you post it.

YOur cowardly deflection attempt is noted. YOu are a cowardly asshole.

Donald Trump is great at picking losers. The most abject losers congregate around Trump and howl rapturously at his rallies.

Donald Trump's gut hasn't picked a winner yet.

People like you, constantly express your hate for people like me, and then wonder why we think that people like you, might not be the best to represent our interests in government.

And in your mind, this is something wrong with us.

You are so full of hate, that it makes you bat shit crazy.

Trump might be a lot of things. But at least he doesn't hate us, the way you liberals do.

Trump loves the uneducated which is your ilk.

Trump hates those who disagree with him. Trump hates those that don't vote for him.

Trump has amassed the biggest howling crowd of losers in the history of US politics. Donald Trump is a magnet for losers.

You hate yourself for being such a dupe and loser.
Donald Trump is great at picking losers. The most abject losers congregate around Trump and howl rapturously at his rallies.

Donald Trump's gut hasn't picked a winner yet.

People like you, constantly express your hate for people like me, and then wonder why we think that people like you, might not be the best to represent our interests in government.

Trump might be a lot of things. But at least he doesn't hate us, the way you liberals do.

Trump hates those who disagree with him. Trump hates those that don't vote for him.

Trump has amassed the biggest howling crowd of losers in the history of US politics. Donald Trump is a magnet for losers.

So, I make a point that people like you hate people like me, and that is why people like me don't support people like you politically.

And your response is to insult me and people like me, by calling us, "uneducated", "losers", "losers" again, "dupes" and a third time, "losers".

What that you way of showing that people like you dont' hate people like me?

Oh, and the irony of you doing that while insulting MY intelligence? I'm sure flies right over your pointy little head.

I don't hate you. The world needs people like you. Trump has recognized the purpose of your ilk as:
  • Lip-service patriots;
  • Bogus Christians;
  • Soldiers who would die on the command of a superior for a cause they don't understand or care about;
  • Janitors;
  • Rent-a-mob at Trump rallies;
  • Actors in zombie movies.

And my point about how unintelligent it is of you, to constantly insult us, and then be surprised that we dont' support you?

Still to complex for you to grasp?

Here is the deal pal. YOu hate us. We realize that, and thus notice that you are actively hostile to our interests.

Thus, we dont' give you our political support.

That you find that to be evidence of something wrong with US, is just you being an insanely stupid asshole.

Your own personal hate is palpable.

You are so naive that you believe that your savior, Donald Trump, will rescue you from your abject existence.

The portents are bad for you. You will become a blubbering whimpering mess after Donald Trump is run outta town.

Get well soon.

Thank You, liberals....America needs the fertilizer. About 5.5 more years of President Trump should allow that to compost quite nicely.

You rumpers don't know what a thread is. You keep repeating the same crap over and over expecting the rest of us to swallow it. And when we take exception to it you cry foul. Rump has one very bad shock coming. In the area of Foreign Affairs (a very high item for the election) he had better hope he goes against warren. Biden will eat his lunch. As for working with the other side, he had better hope he faces Warren. Biden will eat his lunch. And calling Biden crazy? Trump gives the word Crazy a whole new definition. So what are you going to do when you figure out you are not winning and never were? You have been a very poor winner and I suspect you are going to be a nightmare loser as well.

You haven't presented a single option except, "I demand it MY way". Hate to break it to you but reality doesn't work that way for any of us. Then you run off at the fingers about "WhataboutHillary". That is sad. That means you don't have a message and are incapable of working on any solution to the problem. Coal has become a secondary source of power and in 5 years, it won't be making any power at all. And that has been it's primary use. Only it's secondary uses will continue.

You and your band or criminals have shouted down every suggestion on a solution to the problem of displaced workers. You have shouted down every mention of helping with the retraining and creating alternative jobs. You don't want solutions. You only want to follow your Rump in a daze and just ignore reality. America is taking names and will be kicking ass. Rump along with Moscow Mitch will be no longer messing things up after next year. We are tired of the Reality TV Show crap and that includes your sideshow Stripper and Donkey act.

You rumpers don't know what a thread is. You keep repeating the same crap over and over expecting the rest of us to swallow it. And when we take exception to it you cry foul. Rump has one very bad shock coming. In the area of Foreign Affairs (a very high item for the election) he had better hope he goes against warren. Biden will eat his lunch. As for working with the other side, he had better hope he faces Warren. Biden will eat his lunch. And calling Biden crazy? Trump gives the word Crazy a whole new definition. So what are you going to do when you figure out you are not winning and never were? You have been a very poor winner and I suspect you are going to be a nightmare loser as well.

As we saw one more turd on the compost pile doesn't make all that much difference. By the time President Trump retires in 5.5 more years it will have become useful in growing spendy crops we'll sell at outrageous prices to you vegan liberals.

As we saw one more turd on the compost pile doesn't make all that much difference. By the time President Trump retires in 5.5 more years it will have become useful in growing spendy crops we'll sell at outrageous prices to you vegan liberals.

LOL, you have no idea on what it takes to stay in the Farming business. At what point does the free money stop coming from the Government (btw, that's socialism) because Brazil has gotten the contracts? Or how about the Chicago Feedlots when Argentina captures the Chicken, Beef and Lamb contracts. It's september. Either an agreement comes now or our farmers are really, really screwed. And we will have to treat them like our Coal Miners when the money runs out.

To give you an idea, in Brazil, they are having one hell of a problem right now with the Rain Forest catching fire. Guess what happens to each and every acre of Rain Forest that is burnt? it becomes farm land. And the entire world depends on the Rain Forest. But what do you care that over half of the Oxygen on the Earth comes from the Rain Forest. You don't have a problem if they burn it all down, right? Well, that's exactly what is happening. And trust me, China could care less. They on care about getting their soy, and other grains cheap. And if you think that Brazil is a third world country when it comes to farming you would be wrong. They rate only second to the US and that just might change starting next year.

So you grow your food for the Viggens. If that is all you are counting on, have you ever seen a Farm Auction? It's pretty damned depressing and happens way to frequent as it is.

It's vital the GOP regain control of the House so legislation can be passed to protect the coal industry from left wing persecution.

It's vital the GOP regain control of the House so legislation can be passed to protect the coal industry from left wing persecution.

The GOP is done for. GOP lawmakers are invisible men since Trump became POTUS.

Nobody is even aware of them.

What if Uncle Sam gave an election and the GOP didn't get out of bed?

So, I make a point that people like you hate people like me, and that is why people like me don't support people like you politically.

And your response is to insult me and people like me, by calling us, "uneducated", "losers", "losers" again, "dupes" and a third time, "losers".

Oh, and the irony of you doing that while insulting MY intelligence? I'm sure flies right over your pointy little head.

I don't hate you. The world needs people like you. Trump has recognized the purpose of your ilk as:
  • Lip-service patriots;
  • Bogus Christians;
  • Soldiers who would die on the command of a superior for a cause they don't understand or care about;
  • Janitors;

And my point about how unintelligent it is of you, to constantly insult us, and then be surprised that we dont' support you?

Here is the deal pal. YOu hate us. We realize that, and thus notice that you are actively hostile to our interests.

That you find that to be evidence of something wrong with US, is just you being an insanely stupid asshole.

You are so naive that you believe that your savior, Donald Trump, will rescue you from your abject existence.

The portents are bad for you. You will become a blubbering whimpering mess after Donald Trump is run outta town.

Get well soon.

1 When you do something like, viciously smear people, and then attack them for not supporting your politically, behavior like that, supports a statement like, "your hate is palpable". To be clear for the slow kids in the class, that is what you are doing.

2. When you point out that someone viciously smeared you, and you explain that that is why you don't believe that they are on your side, and you don't support them politically, that is not "hate".

You haven't presented a single option except, "I demand it MY way". Hate to break it to you but reality doesn't work that way for any of us. Then you run off at the fingers about "WhataboutHillary". That is sad. That means you don't have a message and are incapable of working on any solution to the problem. Coal has become a secondary source of power and in 5 years, it won't be making any power at all. And that has been it's primary use. Only it's secondary uses will continue.

You and your band or criminals have shouted down every suggestion on a solution to the problem of displaced workers. You have shouted down every mention of helping with the retraining and creating alternative jobs. You don't want solutions. You only want to follow your Rump in a daze and just ignore reality. America is taking names and will be kicking ass. Rump along with Moscow Mitch will be no longer messing things up after next year. We are tired of the Reality TV Show crap and that includes your sideshow Stripper and Donkey act.

1. Coal is now secondary. It only generates 27% of the nations electricity. Which dwarfs all renewables combined, which is only at 17%. Coal will not be gone in 5 years. There could be DECADES of good jobs for a lot of people, that you want to replace with bullshit. You are thus the one ignoring reality.

What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

2. President Trump is not the one with an irrational hostility to a major sector of the economy, willing to shit can the jobs in it, for no reason.

3. The solution is to milk this cash cow for all it is worth.

4. The counter solutions you offer, have been tried and found wanting time and time again. They are bullshit.

5. IF you win, that just proves that you won, doesnt' prove that you right.

• Lip-service patriots;
  • Bogus Christians;
  • Janitors;

Get well soon.

1 When you do something like, viciously smear people, and then attack them for not supporting your politically, behavior like that, supports a statement like, "your hate is palpable". To be clear for the slow kids in the class, that is what you are doing.

2. When you point out that someone viciously smeared you, and you explain that that is why you don't believe that they are on your side, and you don't support them politically, that is not "hate".

So according to your rules:
  • If I call you hateful that is a smear; but
  • If you call me hateful that's not a smear?

Forum List

Back