Trumpers tired of winning yet? Mine shutdowns in top US coal region bring new uncertainty

This is for you.

upload_2019-9-15_8-18-23-jpeg.279393
Hoho, you need it more than him...

I think they should keep their masturbatory fantasies to themselves, but it's a somewhat free country.

Dude. You are oversharing.

Yet you're the guy who pictures the aging doughboy President as the open-shirted terminator. Go figure.

I would LIKE to see that happen.

And voting for Trump made that more likely than voting for a dem candidate who was openly hostile to coal and coal jobs.

The entire coal industry could be gone by the end of Trump's administration and it would not effect my "ego" at all.
Having one's wishful/delusional thinking exposed is damaging to one's ego.

Wishing for good things for coal miners, is not the same as wishful thinking, and certainly not delusional.

And being "Exposed" as wishing for the best, is not damaging to my ego, at all.

And voting for Trump made that more likely than voting for a dem candidate who was openly hostile to coal and coal jobs.

The entire coal industry could be gone by the end of Trump's administration and it would not effect my "ego" at all.

Wishing for good things for coal miners, is not the same as wishful thinking, and certainly not delusional.

It's a bitch having to go off the GRU script and try and salvage something out of your mess, isn't is, Ivan.

When you wish upon a Star...

It's the very definition of it, as has been shown. But I understand your ego can't take that sort of talk. No worries.

Another Donald Trump gut decision goes haywire as coal mines go bankrupt and the existence of communities is threatened.

Perhaps Donald Trump should visit and throw some rolls of toilet paper to these victims of his gut-wrenching policies. "At two of the world's biggest coal mines, the finances got so bad that their owner couldn't even get toilet paper on credit."

Donald Trump's rollback of EPA regulations was not enough to save the coal industry.

The economy of the US is creaking as Donald Trump's gut decisions prove wrong consistently and painfully.

Mine shutdowns in top US coal region bring new uncertainty

MEAD GRUVER, Associated Press•September 14, 2019

The shutdown of Blackjewel LLC's Belle Ayr and Eagle Butte mines in Wyoming since July 1, 2019 has added yet more uncertainty to the Powder River Basin's struggling coal economy.

GILLETTE, Wyo. (AP) — At two of the world's biggest coal mines, the finances got so bad that their owner couldn't even get toilet paper on credit.

Warehouse technician Melissa Worden divvied up what remained, giving four rolls to each mine and two to the mine supply facility where she worked.

Then mine owner Blackjewel LLC filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on July 1. Worden figured the accounts would get settled quickly.
"The consensus was: In 30 days, we'll look back on this, and we made it through, and we'll be up and running, and it's a fresh start," Worden said.

What happened instead has shaken the top coal-producing region in the United States. Blackjewel furloughed most of its Wyoming employees and shut down Eagle Butte and Belle Ayr mines, the first idled by hardship since coal mining in the Powder River Basin exploded in the 1970s.

It's a big hit to the region straddling northeastern Wyoming and southeastern Montana, where coal has quietly supported the economies of both states for decades and fuels a shrinking number of power plants in 28 states.
Negotiations that could reopen the two Wyoming mines under new ownership are stalled more than two months later. Some 600 employees remain off the job. And doubts are growing about the long-term viability of the region's coal mines.

"I don't think we'll ever be that naive again," said Worden, 44.
Blackjewel, based in Milton, West Virginia, told its Wyoming employees this week that the mines might be running again soon and to let the company know if they wanted their jobs back.
Worden said she felt little reassurance. She's not the only one questioning long-held assumptions about Powder River Basin mines, which produce cleaner-burning coal less expensively than mines in other parts of the U.S. and weren't widely thought of being at risk.

But with coal in long-term decline, how the basin might eventually scale down production to a sustainable level has become a big question, said Rob Godby, director of the Center for Energy Economics and Public Policy at the University of Wyoming.

"The irony here — and it's really a cruel irony — is everybody is focused on getting these miners back to work. But really the solution to creating a healthy industry is some mines close," Godby said.

For now, little appears changed in Gillette, a city of 30,000 at the heart of the basin of rolling grasslands where tattoo shops are abundant and big, late-model pickup trucks still cruise the main drag.
This year, however, has been especially tumultuous. Three of the Powder River Basin's nine producers — Westmoreland Coal, Cloud Peak Energy and Blackjewel — have filed for bankruptcy since March. Two others, Arch Coal and Peabody, say they will merge assets in the region.

The turmoil comes as U.S. coal production is down over 30 percent since peaking in 2008. Utilities are retiring aging coal-fired power plants and switching to solar, wind and cheaper and cleaner-burning natural gas to generate electricity despite President Donald Trump's efforts to prop up the coal industry.
A decade ago, about half of U.S. electricity came from coal-fired power. Now it's below 30 percent, a shift that heavy equipment operator Rory Wallet saw as utilities became less willing to lock in multiyear contracts for Belle Ayr mine's coal.

"The market's changed," Wallet said. "The bankruptcies all tie into that."
Wallet, 40, who followed his father into the mine in 2008, said the recent closures and loss of his $80,000-a-year job surprised him. He has four children, and his wife's job at a restaurant in Gillette is their main income while they await news about the mines.

Blackjewel said Thursday that it was working on plans to restart the mines while pursuing their sale. There were no indications in federal bankruptcy court filings that the mines were set to reopen, however.
"This is a fast-moving and sometimes unpredictable process, and accordingly, we do not have answers to all of your questions at this time," the company's statement said.

Wallet is looking for a job and lobbying Wyoming lawmakers to fight harder to force Washington state to approve a port facility expansion that would allow more coal exports to Asia.
"The ports are going to be a big deal. Asia is going to be a big deal," Wallet said.
But Godby said the amount of coal that the proposed export terminal could handle would offset only a small fraction of the amount that production has declined.

Powder River Basin mines employ about 5,000 miners — 20 percent fewer than eight years ago. The impact is even wider because an additional 8,000 jobs, from teachers to car mechanics, have indirect ties to the coal industry.

Locals cheered when Trump lifted a federal moratorium on coal leases, but Worden and Wallet disagree about whether changing environmental regulations will do much good.
Both say coal should continue to have a place alongside renewable energy.
"It needs to be a group effort, not green is on one side and black is on the other," Worden said. "We don't want this community to die." ...
/—-/ So you libtards are saying President Trump isn’t working hard enough to save the coal industry. OK...

Trump couldn't give a shit about coal. He just wants the votes of people who depend on it.
/——/ You couldn’t give a shit about anything but you selfish little needs and more free stuff from the taxpayers.

Another Donald Trump gut decision goes haywire as coal mines go bankrupt and the existence of communities is threatened.

Perhaps Donald Trump should visit and throw some rolls of toilet paper to these victims of his gut-wrenching policies. "At two of the world's biggest coal mines, the finances got so bad that their owner couldn't even get toilet paper on credit."

Donald Trump's rollback of EPA regulations was not enough to save the coal industry.

The economy of the US is creaking as Donald Trump's gut decisions prove wrong consistently and painfully.

The shutdown of Blackjewel LLC's Belle Ayr and Eagle Butte mines in Wyoming since July 1, 2019 has added yet more uncertainty to the Powder River Basin's struggling coal economy.

GILLETTE, Wyo. (AP) — At two of the world's biggest coal mines, the finances got so bad that their owner couldn't even get toilet paper on credit.

Warehouse technician Melissa Worden divvied up what remained, giving four rolls to each mine and two to the mine supply facility where she worked.

Then mine owner Blackjewel LLC filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on July 1. Worden figured the accounts would get settled quickly.
"The consensus was: In 30 days, we'll look back on this, and we made it through, and we'll be up and running, and it's a fresh start," Worden said.

What happened instead has shaken the top coal-producing region in the United States. Blackjewel furloughed most of its Wyoming employees and shut down Eagle Butte and Belle Ayr mines, the first idled by hardship since coal mining in the Powder River Basin exploded in the 1970s.

It's a big hit to the region straddling northeastern Wyoming and southeastern Montana, where coal has quietly supported the economies of both states for decades and fuels a shrinking number of power plants in 28 states.
Negotiations that could reopen the two Wyoming mines under new ownership are stalled more than two months later. Some 600 employees remain off the job. And doubts are growing about the long-term viability of the region's coal mines.

Blackjewel, based in Milton, West Virginia, told its Wyoming employees this week that the mines might be running again soon and to let the company know if they wanted their jobs back.
Worden said she felt little reassurance. She's not the only one questioning long-held assumptions about Powder River Basin mines, which produce cleaner-burning coal less expensively than mines in other parts of the U.S. and weren't widely thought of being at risk.

But with coal in long-term decline, how the basin might eventually scale down production to a sustainable level has become a big question, said Rob Godby, director of the Center for Energy Economics and Public Policy at the University of Wyoming.

"The irony here — and it's really a cruel irony — is everybody is focused on getting these miners back to work. But really the solution to creating a healthy industry is some mines close," Godby said.

For now, little appears changed in Gillette, a city of 30,000 at the heart of the basin of rolling grasslands where tattoo shops are abundant and big, late-model pickup trucks still cruise the main drag.
This year, however, has been especially tumultuous. Three of the Powder River Basin's nine producers — Westmoreland Coal, Cloud Peak Energy and Blackjewel — have filed for bankruptcy since March. Two others, Arch Coal and Peabody, say they will merge assets in the region.

The turmoil comes as U.S. coal production is down over 30 percent since peaking in 2008. Utilities are retiring aging coal-fired power plants and switching to solar, wind and cheaper and cleaner-burning natural gas to generate electricity despite President Donald Trump's efforts to prop up the coal industry.
A decade ago, about half of U.S. electricity came from coal-fired power. Now it's below 30 percent, a shift that heavy equipment operator Rory Wallet saw as utilities became less willing to lock in multiyear contracts for Belle Ayr mine's coal.

Wallet, 40, who followed his father into the mine in 2008, said the recent closures and loss of his $80,000-a-year job surprised him. He has four children, and his wife's job at a restaurant in Gillette is their main income while they await news about the mines.

Blackjewel said Thursday that it was working on plans to restart the mines while pursuing their sale. There were no indications in federal bankruptcy court filings that the mines were set to reopen, however.
"This is a fast-moving and sometimes unpredictable process, and accordingly, we do not have answers to all of your questions at this time," the company's statement said.

Wallet is looking for a job and lobbying Wyoming lawmakers to fight harder to force Washington state to approve a port facility expansion that would allow more coal exports to Asia.
"The ports are going to be a big deal. Asia is going to be a big deal," Wallet said.
But Godby said the amount of coal that the proposed export terminal could handle would offset only a small fraction of the amount that production has declined.

Powder River Basin mines employ about 5,000 miners — 20 percent fewer than eight years ago. The impact is even wider because an additional 8,000 jobs, from teachers to car mechanics, have indirect ties to the coal industry.

Locals cheered when Trump lifted a federal moratorium on coal leases, but Worden and Wallet disagree about whether changing environmental regulations will do much good.
"It needs to be a group effort, not green is on one side and black is on the other," Worden said. "We don't want this community to die." ...
/—-/ So you libtards are saying President Trump isn’t working hard enough to save the coal industry. OK...

Trump couldn't give a shit about coal. He just wants the votes of people who depend on it.
/——/ You couldn’t give a shit about anything but you selfish little needs and more free stuff from the taxpayers.

I can see that your Comradeski called you for assistance to spread more hate and discontent and try and change the subject. Tells me who the GRU agents are.

I used coal! Hell yea

Every time you fire your car up you use coal since coal is used to refine it. Every time you use anything made of plastic, you are using coal. Coal is used for a lot of uses. And it doesn't have to be dirty like a Coal Fired Power Plant. Ok, the refinery is dirty because it uses coal among other reasons. Coal will always be around in one form or another just not in the degree it has been in the past.

I can see that your Comradeski called you for assistance to spread more hate and discontent and try and change the subject. Tells me who the GRU agents are.
/——/ If I wanted to spread more hate and discontent, I would join the democRAT Party and support Beto, Harris or Pocahontas.

Us folks out here in coal country and the Rust Belt are used to politicians promising us the world and a return the glory days of past, but very little ever comes of it.

Of course, it's all Trump's fault. Whenever anything negative happens, you guys find some way to blame it on Trump, even though Trump has done all he could to revive the coal industry. Coal mining is declining because there has been a massive decline in the demand for coal because of the huge increase in natural gas, which is cheaper and easier to obtain than coal.

The withering of the American coal industry

Donald Trump is great at picking losers. The most abject losers congregate around Trump and howl rapturously at his rallies.

Donald Trump's gut hasn't picked a winner yet.

People like you, constantly express your hate for people like me, and then wonder why we think that people like you, might not be the best to represent our interests in government.

And in your mind, this is something wrong with us.

You are so full of hate, that it makes you bat shit crazy.

Trump might be a lot of things. But at least he doesn't hate us, the way you liberals do.

Trump loves the uneducated which is your ilk.

Trump hates those who disagree with him. Trump hates those that don't vote for him.

Trump has amassed the biggest howling crowd of losers in the history of US politics. Donald Trump is a magnet for losers.

You hate yourself for being such a dupe and loser.
Of course, it's all Trump's fault. Whenever anything negative happens, you guys find some way to blame it on Trump, even though Trump has done all he could to revive the coal industry. Coal mining is declining because there has been a massive decline in the demand for coal because of the huge increase in natural gas, which is cheaper and easier to obtain than coal.

The withering of the American coal industry

Donald Trump is great at picking losers. The most abject losers congregate around Trump and howl rapturously at his rallies.

Donald Trump's gut hasn't picked a winner yet.

People like you, constantly express your hate for people like me, and then wonder why we think that people like you, might not be the best to represent our interests in government.

And in your mind, this is something wrong with us.

You are so full of hate, that it makes you bat shit crazy.

Trump might be a lot of things. But at least he doesn't hate us, the way you liberals do.

Trump loves the uneducated which is your ilk.

Trump hates those who disagree with him. Trump hates those that don't vote for him.

Trump has amassed the biggest howling crowd of losers in the history of US politics. Donald Trump is a magnet for losers.

You hate yourself for being such a dupe and loser.

So, I make a point that people like you hate people like me, and that is why people like me don't support people like you politically.

And your response is to insult me and people like me, by calling us, "uneducated", "losers", "losers" again, "dupes" and a third time, "losers".

What that you way of showing that people like you dont' hate people like me?

Oh, and the irony of you doing that while insulting MY intelligence? I'm sure flies right over your pointy little head.

I don't hate you. The world needs people like you. Trump has recognized the purpose of your ilk as:
  • Lip-service patriots;
  • Bogus Christians;
  • Soldiers who would die on the command of a superior for a cause they don't understand or care about;
  • Janitors;
  • Rent-a-mob at Trump rallies;
  • Actors in zombie movies.

I'm not sure why the OP is cheering the loss of two coal mines in WY?
Many coal users are switching from coal to natural gas, its cheaper and cleaner to use, which means more profit.
What if Solyndra went bankrupt?
Solyndra misled the feds out of over $500 million. Why you should care
What if 15 oil companies went bankrupt? The 15 Biggest Oil Bankruptcies (So Far)
What if the solar panel industry went bankrupt? The U.S. Solar Industry Has Been Dead For Years, So Why The Tariffs? | Seeking Alpha

Companies come and companies go, WTF??

So you are trying to move those goal posts once again. Your Gawd Rump promised that he would reopen the coal mines. Instead, they are closing at an alarming rate.

The Oil Companies are NOT going bankrupt. They are thriving. In fact, they can't seem to pump enough gas and oil.

The Solar Industry is building at an alarming rate as are the wind factories.

Tesla just became the premier auto battery manufacturer in the world. And are pushing their industrial battery packs for cities and factories to be used during peak periods.

Don't it chap your drawers that AOL is more right than wrong and you are more wrong than right? Your Gawd Rump is leading you unto tempation with his deceipt and lies by your own admission.

The world is changing.

Trump promised that when he was elected he would end the illegal REGULATIONS put in place by Potentate Obamugabe, which he did. Businesses still have sink or swim on their own.

NO UNCERTAINTY HERE....THE DEMONRAT ANSWER

635984994176240924-051116-copy.jpg

Yep.

A choice between someone who will at least TRY to look out for you, or for someone who is openly hostile to you and your interests.

And libs are confused that we don't vote for them. THey claim that pointing out the obvious reasons for our votes, is "playing the victim".

They are fucking assholes.

How about someone telling it like it is. Truth is as foreign as you are, Ivan.

If you had a choice between some one telling you, what they think it is, and that is, "You are fucked",

and someone who will to at least try to see that you are not fucked,

then no, there is not much value to "telling it like it is".

Especially if the difference, is at the least, going to be years of additional good pay and jobs.

I have no idea why you are still trying to play the "Hillary" card. She's politically dead. A non factor. Did you run out of data in your GRU database and have to recycle old information from 2016?

I would rather someone tell me the truth and then work with me on options. Telling a dead industry that Rump is going to make it all better when there is no way in hell that it can be just means that the options won't be worked on. Hell, they still aren't because too many people still believe in the lie. Better to face the truth dead on and work out options. Something you Ruskies don't understand.

The op attacks Trump supporters for supporting him specifically with regards to his pro-Coal stance.

That decision took place when the only other alternative was HILLARY, with her anti-Coal stance.

We've seen what happens, when people like you start to work out the options.

It means people like you talk to yourselves to pretend that you are addressing an issue, while people like me get fucked.

That you pretend that there is anything wrong with our decisions in this regard, is just you being an asshole.

then no, there is not much value to "telling it like it is".
Some people prefer wishful thinking and delusions. Bit of a pity when that is exposed.

Said the man that cut the majority of my post, to pretend that he crushed my argument.

Liberals. All the self awareness of a potted plant.

A dead potted plant.

dead-shriveled-spathiphyllum-plant-pot-260nw-152500682.jpg

This is for you.

upload_2019-9-15_8-18-23-jpeg.279393
Hoho, you need it more than him...

I think they should keep their masturbatory fantasies to themselves, but it's a somewhat free country.

Dude. You are oversharing.

Yet you're the guy who pictures the aging doughboy President as the open-shirted terminator. Go figure.

When people like you stop discussing seriously and start doing nothing but posting silly anti-Trump propaganda,

I try to respond in kind.

You making it sexual, is all you.

ALL YOU.

Forum List

Back