Trump sued the NFL in the 1980s.

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
Interesting article.

Trump once won a lawsuit against the NFL — but the result was an embarrassment
"The United States Football League with a league intended to play football in the spring that lasted between 1983 and 1985. So they had three seasons. And as a spring league in that first year, it was pretty, they didn’t do badly, it didn’t make money, but they had decent TV ratings, they had two TV networks, they had Herschel Walker, they had Steve Young, and they had Jim Kelly. It had possibilities.

Trump buys the Generals, before the second season. The first thing he says is, “If God had wanted spring football he wouldn't have invented baseball.” So he buys into a spring league having every intention to move it to the fall to go head-to-head with the NFL, because that's the way he thinks.

It was a terrible, terrible decision. At the beginning of the third season, the league actually decided that for the fourth season they would go to the fall. The networks were furious, the players knew it wasn’t going to work out, the losses really started to mount, the owners were getting incredibly upset. Trump had a solution, however. His solution was, “We’re gonna sue. We’re going to sue the NFL for being monopolists.”

The large part of the argument was, “We can’t get a network contract because they have all three networks locked up so they must be a monopolist.” The jury did, in fact, rule that the NFL was a monopolist that had harmed the USFL. They had asked for $1.2 billion in damages, and the jury said, “We’re going to give you $1.” And in antitrust cases that’s tripled so that’s $3. Add interest that’s $3.76.

And that’s how much the USFL got. And that was the end of the USFL, thanks mainly to Donald Trump."

But I'm sure the comments he made were based on his patriotism, just like his military service was. I'm sure he didn't make the comments to stir up trouble. He wouldn't do that, would he?

And, oddly enough, in 2013, Trump was not happy with Obama weighing in on the hoopla about the Washington Redskins changing their name.

In fact, he tweeted about it.
"President should not be telling the Washington Redskins to change their name-our country has far bigger problems! FOCUS on them,not nonsense"

I guess things changed, huh?

Now who got played by Trump?

Interesting article.

"The United States Football League with a league intended to play football in the spring that lasted between 1983 and 1985. So they had three seasons. And as a spring league in that first year, it was pretty, they didn’t do badly, it didn’t make money, but they had decent TV ratings, they had two TV networks, they had Herschel Walker, they had Steve Young, and they had Jim Kelly. It had possibilities.

Trump buys the Generals, before the second season. The first thing he says is, “If God had wanted spring football he wouldn't have invented baseball.” So he buys into a spring league having every intention to move it to the fall to go head-to-head with the NFL, because that's the way he thinks.

It was a terrible, terrible decision. At the beginning of the third season, the league actually decided that for the fourth season they would go to the fall. The networks were furious, the players knew it wasn’t going to work out, the losses really started to mount, the owners were getting incredibly upset. Trump had a solution, however. His solution was, “We’re gonna sue. We’re going to sue the NFL for being monopolists.”

The large part of the argument was, “We can’t get a network contract because they have all three networks locked up so they must be a monopolist.” The jury did, in fact, rule that the NFL was a monopolist that had harmed the USFL. They had asked for $1.2 billion in damages, and the jury said, “We’re going to give you $1.” And in antitrust cases that’s tripled so that’s $3. Add interest that’s $3.76.

And that’s how much the USFL got. And that was the end of the USFL, thanks mainly to Donald Trump."

But I'm sure the comments he made were based on his patriotism, just like his military service was. I'm sure he didn't make the comments to stir up trouble. He wouldn't do that, would he?

And, oddly enough, in 2013, Trump was not happy with Obama weighing in on the hoopla about the Washington Redskins changing their name.

"President should not be telling the Washington Redskins to change their name-our country has far bigger problems! FOCUS on them,not nonsense"

Trump is all about "win, win, win".

Yes he did end the USFL in one fell swoop. Kinda like most everything he touches.

Interesting article.

He's such a smart negotiator. Just imagine how bad it would have been if he didn't win that $3,76. That's the kind of business acumen that he brings to the presidency.

Yes he did end the USFL in one fell swoop. Kinda like most everything he touches.

would be great if he he could end the corrupt NFL cartel as well with all this bullshit relocation all the time " Rams being the lone exception of course it being the only move that WAS justified." and the cheatriots tainting a great sport with their scandals.

at least the USFL had none of this bullshit going on when they were around,bring THEM back and get rid of the fucking NFL.

Last edited:
For consumers, Cable TV regulations and rules need to be changed. But the corrupted politicians do nothing. Cable TV is a monopoly that forces us to take packages we do not want. Even if it is basic. Forced to take Sports Networks, Cultural Channels, Pseudo News Channels, Religious Channels, and more. Give us the choice. The Cable TV industry is a monopoly as it is. The costs are ballistic. If any of you are interested, ESPN costs each customer that is forced to have it on Cable TV near 9 dollars a month. Fox Sports is about $3.50 a month the last I read a year or two ago. ESPN would be about 25 dollars a month or more as a Premium Service. Let those who want it, pay for it. I guarantee you, this would affect the major sports. As we pa for their massive TV contracts. You start adding the other channels and cutting half the channels might save you a third or more off your cable TV bill and that is real relief. Politicians know this. And do nothing. The Cable TV lobbyists are strong. There are still many people who are not as tech savvy as others with other options. And the politicians who are supposed to be on the side of the peasant, always screws them over while talking about those who are rich or some other privileged group. In fact Cable TV is a privileged fiefdom.

would be great if he he could end the corrupt NFL cartel as well with all this bullshit relocation all the time " Rams being the lone exception of course it being the only move that WAS justified." and the cheatriots tainting a great sport with their scandals.

at least the USFL had none of this bullshit going on when they were around,bring THEM back and get rid of the fucking NFL.

Lol, someone doesn't remember the USFL. Owners found to be lying about their net worth not paying their bills. I was a huge fan of the Boston Breakers... I mean New Orleans Breakers.... I mean Portland Breakers. More teams moved in the 3 years of the USFL than the past 25 years of the NFL.

Lol, someone doesn't remember the USFL. Owners found to be lying about their net worth not paying their bills. I was a huge fan of the Boston Breakers... I mean New Orleans Breakers.... I mean Portland Breakers. More teams moved in the 3 years of the USFL than the past 25 years of the NFL.

yeah i confess i did not watch them,just heard a little about them,well disregard that post then,looks like they are as much corrupt as the NFL is.college football is the way to go,you know THEY wont leave their fans putting a shiny brand new stadium ahead of history.

yeah i confess i did not watch them,just heard a little about them,well disregard that post then,looks like they are as much corrupt as the NFL is.college football is the way to go,you know THEY wont leave their fans putting a shiny brand new stadium ahead of history.

True, but the whole "amateur athlete" bit while they make billions and the cheating that goes on there is insane even compared to the NFL. Under table payments, tampering, classroom cheating supported by teams, seems half the schools have a "Mr Handsy" doctor.

Honestly, its a business for all three. I enjoy the games of the NFL, and college so I'll keep watching both myself and not get too worked up every time some news pops up.

Forum List

Back