CDZ Trump speech at the BSA Jamboree

The Boy Scouts loved it. What's the issue?

BSA has disavowed his speech

Considering the never endorsed it in the first place, it's just more political backpedaling to prevent some lefties from doxxing the BSA leadership.

No...it is just their polite way of telling Trump he is an a-hole

Nah, they just fear the repercussions from the more militant leftists.

Here's the text of the speech. Read a Transcript of Trump's Boy Scout Jamboree Speech

Maybe OP could point out the exact "profanity" and "inappropriateness" for us. Also, maybe OP can explain to us why Boy Scouts shouldn't hear about politics.

I listened to clips of the speech. The transcripts have obviously and appropriately been edited. Boy Scouts are required to learn about "politics" (it's called "Citizenship" and encouraged to participate. No previous president has done what Trump did: give a blatantly political speech at a non-political event designed for non-political purposes. By the way, were you ever a Boy Scout? Or a volunteer Boy Scout leader? You don't seem to be very familiar with the program or values.

The Citizenship badge (I was a counselor) covers the Bill of Rights, how our government is constituted and your roles and responsibilities as a citizen

It has never been used as an exercise in partisan politics

Here's the text of the speech. Read a Transcript of Trump's Boy Scout Jamboree Speech

Maybe OP could point out the exact "profanity" and "inappropriateness" for us. Also, maybe OP can explain to us why Boy Scouts shouldn't hear about politics.

I listened to clips of the speech. The transcripts have obviously and appropriately been edited. Boy Scouts are required to learn about "politics" (it's called "Citizenship" and encouraged to participate. No previous president has done what Trump did: give a blatantly political speech at a non-political event designed for non-political purposes. By the way, were you ever a Boy Scout? Or a volunteer Boy Scout leader? You don't seem to be very familiar with the program or values.

The Citizenship badge (I was a counselor) covers the Bill of Rights, how our government is constituted and your roles and responsibilities as a citizen

It has never been used as an exercise in partisan politics

Well now that your side uses kids to promote gun control, global warming, and government control of healthcare, You don't get to be all shocked and appalled when the other side uses kids the same way.

Not even the same way, here they were just being spoken to, they weren't made to write a report or make statements, or do an assignment like you see leftists do.

Once again, Trump demonstrates that he is clueless
He has no sense of how to behave in public and how to behave between different groups
You do not treat a group of Boy Scouts the same as you would speaking to the Tea Party

Other Presidents who spoke in front of scouts used it as a way to instill values and the importance of serving your country

Trump used it as another venue to trash Obama and Hillary, threaten Congress and badmouth his attorney general

Once again, Trump demonstrates that he is clueless
He has no sense of how to behave in public and how to behave between different groups
You do not treat a group of Boy Scouts the same as you would speaking to the Tea Party

Other Presidents who spoke in front of scouts used it as a way to instill values and the importance of serving your country

Trump used it as another venue to trash Obama and Hillary, threaten Congress and badmouth his attorney general

And yet having groups sit in front of Politicians giving left wing speeches is probably A-OK. Global warming, single payer, cops suck, guns suck, it doesn't matter if people who lean right have to sit through that and keep those fake smiles on their faces. Some left leaning people had to hear things they don't agree with.

The horror, the horror.

You did not give specific examples of profanity. "The transcripts have obviously and appropriately been edited"?! You have any proof of that? You heard clips? Weren't those edited?

"Trump, speaking in Glen Jean, West Virginia, began his remarks with a pledge that he wouldn’t talk about the current climate in Washington, D.C., commenting, “Who the hell wants to speak about politics when I’m in front of the Boy Scouts?” " As reported in multiple news clips and published news reports. Give it up. You are embarrassing yourself by looking like you can't read an online news report. Most everyone included that quote.

You do not make a convincing argument against the topic of politics for Boy Scouts. Yes, I am familiar with Boy Scouts and was a Girl Scout myself. Trump referrenced [sic]current events and spoke about his actions vs his opponents actions. Again, how is this inappropriate for the Boy Scout audience? Trump also spoke of success, achieving your dreams through perseverance, love of country. How is that not appropriate for Boy Scouts to hear?

"The Boy Scouts of America released a statement late Monday to a reporter who asked about its political stance, saying the organization was “wholly non-partisan and does not promote any one position, product, service, political candidate or philosophy.”

“The sitting president serves as the BSA’s honorary president,” the statement, obtained by BuzzFeed’s Michelle B. Van Dyke, read. “It is our long-standing custom to invite the U.S. president to the National Jamboree.”

It seems that the values of the Scouting movement didn't get through to you when you defend a political harangue to a captive audience who were not expecting it for the first time in 78 years of Jamborees. I haven't seen an outpouring of support for Trump's behavior, and I noticed that none of the Eagle Scouts in his cabinet (or for that matter and Eagle Scouts prominent in government) were on the podium with him. The response in Scouting forums is heavily negative.

I'm sorry you got so little out of your Girl Scout experience. It's a fine organization which the Boy Scouts could learn from. They never barred gay adult leaders and avoided the mess the BSA got into until Robert Gates provided much needed leadership to the National Committee. Both organizations are polling adult leaders about some merged programs and units. Maybe it's time you got involved again.

Wow. You make a whole lot of assumptions about me personally. Whatever turns you on, I guess.

Meanwhile, how sad that you are unable to see beyond your own prejudices. The Boy Scouts don't take political sides but the POTUS is their honorary president, so they invite him to their Jamboree. That president chooses to include political issues in his words to the assembled. What you call a "harangue" is what most people call a talk. Maybe you haven't been to very many talks. There are invariably moments/topics included that are not of interest and or necessarily something you agree with. That's the way it goes with human beings. Some of the things I learned during my Scouting experience were courtesy and open mindedness. Those tools come in handy, don't you think?

Maybe it's time you acquainted yourself with the Scout attitude. Surely an organization open to homosexual leaders can muster a little tolerance for the views of their honorary president.

Last edited:
The speech was highly inappropriate by any standard. Regardless of political preferences, this was not the place for a profanity laced political speech. At least we know Mr. Trump was never associated with the Scouting Movement before his election, so no one has to be embarrassed to have approved his application.

Yes, because no President has ever done a political speech in front of children, or used children as props for a speech....
Some Presidents will even use a child's pet goat.

The speech was highly inappropriate by any standard. Regardless of political preferences, this was not the place for a profanity laced political speech. At least we know Mr. Trump was never associated with the Scouting Movement before his election, so no one has to be embarrassed to have approved his application.

Yes, because no President has ever done a political speech in front of children, or used children as props for a speech....

No President has ever given a political screed in front of the Boy Scouts

They are supposed to be inspirational

How many have given speeches in general? and do you have a source to say none were 'political" if they were given?

And I asked about speeches in front of minors in general (sorry I have an issue calling a 18 year old a "child"

The most common ages at a Jamboree are 15 and 16, which is usually about half.

You did not give specific examples of profanity. "The transcripts have obviously and appropriately been edited"?! You have any proof of that? You heard clips? Weren't those edited?

"Trump, speaking in Glen Jean, West Virginia, began his remarks with a pledge that he wouldn’t talk about the current climate in Washington, D.C., commenting, “Who the hell wants to speak about politics when I’m in front of the Boy Scouts?” " As reported in multiple news clips and published news reports. Give it up. You are embarrassing yourself by looking like you can't read an online news report. Most everyone included that quote.

You do not make a convincing argument against the topic of politics for Boy Scouts. Yes, I am familiar with Boy Scouts and was a Girl Scout myself. Trump referrenced [sic]current events and spoke about his actions vs his opponents actions. Again, how is this inappropriate for the Boy Scout audience? Trump also spoke of success, achieving your dreams through perseverance, love of country. How is that not appropriate for Boy Scouts to hear?

"The Boy Scouts of America released a statement late Monday to a reporter who asked about its political stance, saying the organization was “wholly non-partisan and does not promote any one position, product, service, political candidate or philosophy.”

“The sitting president serves as the BSA’s honorary president,” the statement, obtained by BuzzFeed’s Michelle B. Van Dyke, read. “It is our long-standing custom to invite the U.S. president to the National Jamboree.”

It seems that the values of the Scouting movement didn't get through to you when you defend a political harangue to a captive audience who were not expecting it for the first time in 78 years of Jamborees. I haven't seen an outpouring of support for Trump's behavior, and I noticed that none of the Eagle Scouts in his cabinet (or for that matter and Eagle Scouts prominent in government) were on the podium with him. The response in Scouting forums is heavily negative.

I'm sorry you got so little out of your Girl Scout experience. It's a fine organization which the Boy Scouts could learn from. They never barred gay adult leaders and avoided the mess the BSA got into until Robert Gates provided much needed leadership to the National Committee. Both organizations are polling adult leaders about some merged programs and units. Maybe it's time you got involved again.

Wow. You make a whole lot of assumptions about me personally. Whatever turns you on, I guess.

Just making observations from what you post.
Meanwhile, how sad that you are unable to see beyond your own prejudices. The Boy Scouts don't take political sides but the POTUS is their honorary president, so they invite him to their Jamboree. That president chooses to include political issues in his words to the assembled. What you call a "harangue" is what most people call a talk. Maybe you haven't been to very many talks. There are invariably moments/topics included that are not of interest and or necessarily something you agree with.
I have attended one National Jamboree, six NOAC's and the largest annual Scouting event about 15 times, all of which have had prominent and often political speakers. This is the first time I have heard anything approaching what Trump did. From the Scout boards, apparently, four thousand Scouters haven't seen it either. Give it up; you lost this discussion a long time ago.

That's the way it goes with human beings. Some of the things I learned during my Scouting experience were courtesy and open mindedness. Those tools come in handy, don't you think?

You think Trump's speech exhibits courtesy and open mindedness?

Meanwhile, how sad that you are unable to see beyond your own prejudices. The Boy Scouts don't take political sides but the POTUS is their honorary president, so they invite him to their Jamboree. That president chooses to include political issues in his words to the assembled. What you call a "harangue" is what most people call a talk. Maybe you haven't been to very many talks. There are invariably moments/topics included that are not of interest and or necessarily something you agree with.
I have attended one National Jamboree, six NOAC's and the largest annual Scouting event about 15 times, all of which have had prominent and often political speakers. This is the first time I have heard anything approaching what Trump did. From the Scout boards, apparently, four thousand Scouters haven't seen it either. Give it up; you lost this discussion a long time ago.

That's the way it goes with human beings. Some of the things I learned during my Scouting experience were courtesy and open mindedness. Those tools come in handy, don't you think?

I "lost" the discussion? You are kidding yourself. Trump's speech was unique and some people didn't like it. I see no reason to dismiss him or anyone on that basis. Clearly, simply him being Donald Trump is enough reason for you to disapprove of him.
I think his speech was what it was. You've ignored your own point that Boy Scouts are so wonderful- so open minded, so courteous- yet they just can't accept a speech that isn't like everybody else's? LOL Spread the tolerance!

Surely you can't deny that trump celebrated the scouts, held them up as a wonderful role model for young people, and acknowledged how many in his own cabinet had been scouts. He connected with the crowd and they seemed to enjoy it. I don't think these kids are so fragile or so sheltered that they cannot judge the president for themselves.

I don't understand how we can force feed first graders sex education, teach high schoolers about white privilege, the badness of America, and every other democratic talking point but the president of the United States has to have his words monitored by the speech police for suitability. I think it was wonderful that this kids got to see the president, listen to an uplifting positive message about their organization, and get recognition that they justly deserve. Everyone there will remember this for the rest of their lives. Lighten up for gods sake.

How many have given speeches in general? and do you have a source to say none were 'political" if they were given?

And I asked about speeches in front of minors in general (sorry I have an issue calling a 18 year old a "child"

Honestly that is on the border of "child" as well.

I "lost" the discussion? You are kidding yourself. Trump's speech was unique and some people didn't like it. I see no reason to dismiss him or anyone on that basis. Clearly, simply him being Donald Trump is enough reason for you to disapprove of him.
I think his speech was what it was. You've ignored your own point that Boy Scouts are so wonderful- so open minded, so courteous- yet they just can't accept a speech that isn't like everybody else's? LOL Spread the tolerance!
Trump's speech wasn't unique
It was the same crap he gives everyone else

Surely you can't deny that trump celebrated the scouts, held them up as a wonderful role model for young people, and acknowledged how many in his own cabinet had been scouts. He connected with the crowd and they seemed to enjoy it. I don't think these kids are so fragile or so sheltered that they cannot judge the president for themselves.

I don't understand how we can force feed first graders sex education, teach high schoolers about white privilege, the badness of America, and every other democratic talking point but the president of the United States has to have his words monitored by the speech police for suitability. I think it was wonderful that this kids got to see the president, listen to an uplifting positive message about their organization, and get recognition that they justly deserve. Everyone there will remember this for the rest of their lives. Lighten up for gods sake.

Trump knows very little about scouting and it showed in his speech
He offered some platitudes and offered a vague endorsement of camping

Trump's speech wasn't unique
It was the same crap he gives everyone else
OK. Then the Boy Scouts knew what they were getting when they invited him to speak. They choose to invite him anyway.

Regardless of political preferences.

Saying so doesn't make it so. Those who want to deceive believe such denying phrases get them off the hook. Your see-through disguise couldn't hide your bias.

Frankly I have no idea what your point is. Can you put it in little words for the feeble-minded like myself?
Pretending you don't understand after you've been caught using a deceptive phrase is another trick learned from your Masters of Deceit gurus.

We are repeating ourselves, so I think it's time to end our exchange. We've each said what we had to say. Please feel free to have the last post in our exchange. I have enjoyed the exchange.

Honestly that is on the border of "child" as well.

I agree.

Forum List

Back