Trump releases seven-point health care reform plan

People can't write off their health insurance premiums if they can't afford to pay them in the first place.

HSA plans have two components: A high deductible health plan and another account to which you must contribute for use in paying the deductible. Combined, they're essentially the same cost as traditional health insurance premiums.

None of these "ideas" make it easier for people to afford or access critical preventive or diagnostic care, or prescription drugs.

There are too many people who don't understand how this works tossing out "ideas".

Considering that medical costs keep going up way above the reported inflation rate, how do you propose to contain costs? That is really the bottom line. Quality care for a price that people can afford. As with education, the cost just keeps going up as if there is an endless supply of money. Yet investments and paychecks have flat lined.

The wife and I were paying 800 dollars/month for a plan that I never used and she used very little. The reason being, you mentioned. It isn't so much the premium once you use it you have now to contend with out of pocket expenses.

I am lucky, I can afford it. But I also could be driving a BMW for that kind of money.
I would dump this absurd "system" we have now, one that includes seven (7) different delivery/payment components that don't even work with each other (Medicare, Medicaid, VA, ACA, Group, Workers' Comp and indigent) and simply expand the most cost efficient system of all - the Medicare/Medicare Supplement/Medicare Advantage program, an excellent blend of public and private resources.

This would completely dump this 7-tiered joke, it would take a massive monkey off the back of American employers, it would provide preventive/diagnostic services for all (which would help us detect problems FAR earlier), and it would open massive new markets for American insurers. Among other things.

It's sitting right there. It's working just fine for what is by far the highest-health care cost portion of our populace.

What I really like is the emphasis on expanded Health Savings Accounts, and the shift in tax deductibility to individuals. Another excellent proposal is price transparency.

Congress must act. Our elected representatives in the House and Senate must:

1. Completely repeal Obamacare. Our elected representatives must eliminate the individual mandate. No person should be required to buy insurance unless he or she wants to.

2. Modify existing law that inhibits the sale of health insurance across state lines. As long as the plan purchased complies with state requirements, any vendor ought to be able to offer insurance in any state. By allowing full competition in this market, insurance costs will go down and consumer satisfaction will go up.

3. Allow individuals to fully deduct health insurance premium payments from their tax returns under the current tax system. Businesses are allowed to take these deductions so why wouldn’t Congress allow individuals the same exemptions? As we allow the free market to provide insurance coverage opportunities to companies and individuals, we must also make sure that no one slips through the cracks simply because they cannot afford insurance. We must review basic options for Medicaid and work with states to ensure that those who want healthcare coverage can have it.

4. Allow individuals to use Health Savings Accounts (HSAs). Contributions into HSAs should be tax-free and should be allowed to accumulate. These accounts would become part of the estate of the individual and could be passed on to heirs without fear of any death penalty. These plans should be particularly attractive to young people who are healthy and can afford high-deductible insurance plans. These funds can be used by any member of a family without penalty. The flexibility and security provided by HSAs will be of great benefit to all who participate.

5. Require price transparency from all healthcare providers, especially doctors and healthcare organizations like clinics and hospitals. Individuals should be able to shop to find the best prices for procedures, exams or any other medical-related procedure.

6. Block-grant Medicaid to the states. Nearly every state already offers benefits beyond what is required in the current Medicaid structure. The state governments know their people best and can manage the administration of Medicaid far better without federal overhead. States will have the incentives to seek out and eliminate fraud, waste and abuse to preserve our precious resources.

7. Remove barriers to entry into free markets for drug providers that offer safe, reliable and cheaper products. Congress will need the courage to step away from the special interests and do what is right for America. Though the pharmaceutical industry is in the private sector, drug companies provide a public service. Allowing consumers access to imported, safe and dependable drugs from overseas will bring more options to consumers.

Full Health Care reform plan can be read here >>> Healthcare Reform

None of those except repealing the individual mandate require the repeal of Obamacare

Why don't Republicans work to get those ideas included in obamacare?

I challenge anyone to say they have read all 2700 pages of Obamacare. Some claim, that with the regulations put in since passage it has ballooned up to 20,000 pages. I think it is somewhere in between but clearly way above the original 2700 pages.

I like all 7 proposals and I hope they remove the mandate from the prescription drug plan while they are at it.

What I don't see is where any of the 7 are real cost savings. Much like I don't see where Obamacare saved ME personally money. Now there maybe a whole lot of folks who were able to get healthcare but I know folks who had to pay the Obamacare tax by not being poor enough to get it for free but not making enough to afford the payments. That somehow doesn't seem right.

What irks me is that I am forced to buy Obamacare or waste paying 325 dollars in Obamacare tax. Yet I am not able to deduct the premium that the government FORCES me to pay.

As with everything there are some good things in Obamacare. Hell they had to put some good things in or no one would have supported the bill. But that is a very small amount there is a whole lot that can be hacked out of the bill.
Most of the seven proposals are nice to haves. None of them constitute a healthcare plan. All can be done under Obamacare. Trump does not explain what happens to the 20 million insured through Obamacare once he cancels it. He does nothing to cover pre-existing conditions

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. Maybe some of the 7 could be incorporated which would be nice. But Obamacare isn't going anywhere. There never has been a government program that has ended. Except maybe the CCC. Never fear the 20 million will still be able to take a ride on the 280 million trying to just keep ahead of the bills.

What I really like is the emphasis on expanded Health Savings Accounts, and the shift in tax deductibility to individuals. Another excellent proposal is price transparency.

1. Completely repeal Obamacare. Our elected representatives must eliminate the individual mandate. No person should be required to buy insurance unless he or she wants to.

2. Modify existing law that inhibits the sale of health insurance across state lines. As long as the plan purchased complies with state requirements, any vendor ought to be able to offer insurance in any state. By allowing full competition in this market, insurance costs will go down and consumer satisfaction will go up.

3. Allow individuals to fully deduct health insurance premium payments from their tax returns under the current tax system. Businesses are allowed to take these deductions so why wouldn’t Congress allow individuals the same exemptions? As we allow the free market to provide insurance coverage opportunities to companies and individuals, we must also make sure that no one slips through the cracks simply because they cannot afford insurance. We must review basic options for Medicaid and work with states to ensure that those who want healthcare coverage can have it.

4. Allow individuals to use Health Savings Accounts (HSAs). Contributions into HSAs should be tax-free and should be allowed to accumulate. These accounts would become part of the estate of the individual and could be passed on to heirs without fear of any death penalty. These plans should be particularly attractive to young people who are healthy and can afford high-deductible insurance plans. These funds can be used by any member of a family without penalty. The flexibility and security provided by HSAs will be of great benefit to all who participate.

5. Require price transparency from all healthcare providers, especially doctors and healthcare organizations like clinics and hospitals. Individuals should be able to shop to find the best prices for procedures, exams or any other medical-related procedure.

6. Block-grant Medicaid to the states. Nearly every state already offers benefits beyond what is required in the current Medicaid structure. The state governments know their people best and can manage the administration of Medicaid far better without federal overhead. States will have the incentives to seek out and eliminate fraud, waste and abuse to preserve our precious resources.

7. Remove barriers to entry into free markets for drug providers that offer safe, reliable and cheaper products. Congress will need the courage to step away from the special interests and do what is right for America. Though the pharmaceutical industry is in the private sector, drug companies provide a public service. Allowing consumers access to imported, safe and dependable drugs from overseas will bring more options to consumers.

Missing the biggest key element behind the high cost of healthcare - lawyers and lawsuits. Unless lawsuits are limited the costs will continue to spiral out of control.

Missing the biggest key element behind the high cost of healthcare - lawyers and lawsuits. Unless lawsuits are limited the costs will continue to spiral out of control.

Why do you think it is a key element

People can't write off their health insurance premiums if they can't afford to pay them in the first place.

HSA plans have two components: A high deductible health plan and another account to which you must contribute for use in paying the deductible. Combined, they're essentially the same cost as traditional health insurance premiums.

None of these "ideas" make it easier for people to afford or access critical preventive or diagnostic care, or prescription drugs.

There are too many people who don't understand how this works tossing out "ideas".

Considering that medical costs keep going up way above the reported inflation rate, how do you propose to contain costs? That is really the bottom line. Quality care for a price that people can afford. As with education, the cost just keeps going up as if there is an endless supply of money. Yet investments and paychecks have flat lined.

The wife and I were paying 800 dollars/month for a plan that I never used and she used very little. The reason being, you mentioned. It isn't so much the premium once you use it you have now to contend with out of pocket expenses.

I am lucky, I can afford it. But I also could be driving a BMW for that kind of money.
I would dump this absurd "system" we have now, one that includes seven (7) different delivery/payment components that don't even work with each other (Medicare, Medicaid, VA, ACA, Group, Workers' Comp and indigent) and simply expand the most cost efficient system of all - the Medicare/Medicare Supplement/Medicare Advantage program, an excellent blend of public and private resources.

This would completely dump this 7-tiered joke, it would take a massive monkey off the back of American employers, it would provide preventive/diagnostic services for all (which would help us detect problems FAR earlier), and it would open massive new markets for American insurers. Among other things.

It's sitting right there. It's working just fine for what is by far the highest-health care cost portion of our populace.

How would that reduce healthcare costs? What component of the cost would be affected?

Do you really think that medicare cost is contained within a 120 dollar per month premium, before out of pocket expenses?

Those fortunately enough to be able to use the VA pay nothing in the way of a premium (some co-pays). Are you saying that it cost nothing to run the VA? My point is, how can you know that these programs are working well? Both have to be heavily subsidized by the government.

I will say though that the VA might as well be Medicaid. Those who a privileged to use the VA pretty much are either retired from the military or low wage people.

Two examples. One person I know didn't make it through boot camp because I believe, mental issues. He gets to use the VA because he never really made anything of himself. Yet another person puts in 6 years and is honorably discharged can't even get a VA id so they can save 10 percent at Lowes. Seems to me that all Vets are not treated equally. Now I will say if the VA were just for those with service-related injuries that would be fair. Or, open the VA to all veterans with maybe those who were successful paying a premium. That would give the healthcare provides some competition. But then again the VA is so overloaded now I am not sure they could take more.

None of those except repealing the individual mandate require the repeal of Obamacare

I challenge anyone to say they have read all 2700 pages of Obamacare. Some claim, that with the regulations put in since passage it has ballooned up to 20,000 pages. I think it is somewhere in between but clearly way above the original 2700 pages.

I like all 7 proposals and I hope they remove the mandate from the prescription drug plan while they are at it.

What I don't see is where any of the 7 are real cost savings. Much like I don't see where Obamacare saved ME personally money. Now there maybe a whole lot of folks who were able to get healthcare but I know folks who had to pay the Obamacare tax by not being poor enough to get it for free but not making enough to afford the payments. That somehow doesn't seem right.

What irks me is that I am forced to buy Obamacare or waste paying 325 dollars in Obamacare tax. Yet I am not able to deduct the premium that the government FORCES me to pay.

As with everything there are some good things in Obamacare. Hell they had to put some good things in or no one would have supported the bill. But that is a very small amount there is a whole lot that can be hacked out of the bill.
Most of the seven proposals are nice to haves. None of them constitute a healthcare plan. All can be done under Obamacare. Trump does not explain what happens to the 20 million insured through Obamacare once he cancels it. He does nothing to cover pre-existing conditions

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. Maybe some of the 7 could be incorporated which would be nice. But Obamacare isn't going anywhere. There never has been a government program that has ended. Except maybe the CCC. Never fear the 20 million will still be able to take a ride on the 280 million trying to just keep ahead of the bills.

I would happily dump obamacare which is a patchwork of plans and go to Medicare/Medicaid for all like Mac1958 proposes

You in?

Could you provide the data that backs up that claim? I am not really doubting you but I would like to see on what you base that statement.

States that incorporated strict tort reform did not see significant drops in costs

I would happily dump obamacare which is a patchwork of plans and go to Medicare/Medicaid for all like Mac1958 proposes

You in?

With full deduction for premiums, yes I might go for that. The question then becomes, how do you pay for it? After all that is really what Obamacare is all about.

States that incorporated strict tort reform did not see significant drops in costs
Medical device and drug manufacturers do not charge by State.

How would that reduce healthcare costs? What component of the cost would be affected?

Do you really think that medicare cost is contained within a 120 dollar per month premium, before out of pocket expenses?

Those fortunately enough to be able to use the VA pay nothing in the way of a premium (some co-pays). Are you saying that it cost nothing to run the VA? My point is, how can you know that these programs are working well? Both have to be heavily subsidized by the government.

I will say though that the VA might as well be Medicaid. Those who a privileged to use the VA pretty much are either retired from the military or low wage people.

Two examples. One person I know didn't make it through boot camp because I believe, mental issues. He gets to use the VA because he never really made anything of himself. Yet another person puts in 6 years and is honorably discharged can't even get a VA id so they can save 10 percent at Lowes. Seems to me that all Vets are not treated equally. Now I will say if the VA were just for those with service-related injuries that would be fair. Or, open the VA to all veterans with maybe those who were successful paying a premium. That would give the healthcare provides some competition. But then again the VA is so overloaded now I am not sure they could take more.
I train regularly on Medicare, so I'll be happy to go as deep as you'd like on this.

Costs are contained within the structure of the plans. In Medicare Advantage plans, you can choose either a PPO plan for most choice or a more cost-controlled HMO plan. These plans are in part subsidized by the government, and they maintain very low premiums through competition.

Medicare Supplements merely fill in the gaps left by traditional Medicare and are not funded by the government. Premiums start at about $150 and then increase, plus you need a separate prescription drug plan (PDP) for drugs (these are usually included in Medicare Advantage Plans).

I would also include tort reform and whatever else is possible to keep costs down, as well.

Would increased Medicare taxes be required? Most likely. But we would have taken huge costs off of employers, and since a vast majority of our health care spending over age 65, the increase would not be linear. Younger people would still eat up a much smaller portion.

Or we just continue on with this mess.

Maybe we could start here. How does Obamacare or any proposed change affect each of the pieces of the pie?

trend-pie-chart1.png
+

2010-Private-Health-Insurance-Benefits-by-Medical-Spending1.jpg

I train regularly on Medicare, so I'll be happy to go as deep as you'd like on this.

Costs are contained within the structure of the plans. In Medicare Advantage plans, you can choose either a PPO plan for most choice or a more cost-controlled HMO plan. These plans are in part subsidized by the government, and they maintain very low premiums through competition.

Medicare Supplements merely fill in the gaps left by traditional Medicare and are not funded by the government. Premiums start at about $150 and then increase, plus you need a separate prescription drug plan (PDP) for drugs (these are usually included in Medicare Advantage Plans).

I would also include tort reform and whatever else is possible to keep costs down, as well.

Would increased Medicare taxes be required? Most likely. But we would have taken huge costs off of employers, and since a vast majority of our health care spending over age 65, the increase would not be linear. Younger people would still eat up a much smaller portion.

Or we just continue on with this mess.

I guess I just don't understand. I don't see where your post reduces cost. Yes, medicare reduces cost to the person. As in my example, my wife and I paid 800 per month for a crap plan full of co-pays and out of pocket. It really wasn't healthcare it was insurance against losing our savings if something bad happened, and I am not sure it did that.

Premiums, today, for medicare is 120 dollars per month an increase of about 16 percent it was at 104 dollars per month. That amount, for how much I plan on using medicare isn't bad. I can also get a HMO medicare advantage plan for 0 dollars. Still have the co-pays and out of pocket expenses. But sure beats 400 plus crap plan I had. Since I robbed the cradle I still have the wife's insurance to take care of. So, I am thinking, retire, drop income, subsidies will result. Thus, I don't work but get the same benefits. Seems like a win-win.

Don't get me wrong, compared to a lot of folks around me I have it made even with paying out the butt for healthcare insurance. Now if my FA would do something for me I really would be doing well.

I like the idea of Mr. and Ms. Jones walking into Humana....

There is a counter there with a cash register and a uniformed assistant behind the desk.

"Welcome to Humana....what is your order?"

They look up at the board behind her and sees the triple bypass is $48,000 but a quadruple bypass is $58,000.
Seems high.

Then they look over to the angioplasty menu and there is a special!!! If you balloon 3 coronary arteries, the 4th one is free!. A triple AP is $16,000. Thelma looks at Paul and the $16 grand was meant for their daughter to go to school but in the bare knuckles world of GOP healthcare...its pay up or be buried.

"Cash or charge?" the attendant behind the counter asks as she manipulates her touch screen.

Sounds cool.

Agreed. Why introduce competition into healthcare.....and for Christssakes do not inform the public of costs and options! :D

Great. YOU should definitely go with the lowest bidder for your next major surgery. Do the world a favor

Maybe you don't remember the original healthcare debate.....:(

The GOP had ideas?

What were they?

Tort reform (saves $250 billion a year) Dems shot it down.

Sell health insurance across State Lines (saves consumers $100 billion a year (Dems shot it down)

Tax free health savings accounts (Dems shot it down).

You actually get to keep your health plan and doctor (Obama and Dems lied....killed it).

The insurance across state lines is something.

Tort reform is dumb.
HSAs are a joke
Plans that met the basic ACA

The GOP had ideas?

What were they?

Sell health insurance across State Lines (saves consumers $100 billion a year (Dems shot it down)

You actually get to keep your health plan and doctor (Obama and Dems lied....killed it).

Tort reform is dumb.
HSAs are a joke

How does allowing insurance across state lines save a nickel?

Consider in my area the whole network is more or less owned by the same provider. Both hospitals within 25 miles and most of the medical practices. There is just no way outsiders can compete.

But let's say there is validity to the argument. Using the two pie charts I provided, what piece of the pie would be reduced and by how much?

Does anyone even question why a surgery, that is pretty much non invasive would cost 14000 dollars?

The GOP had ideas?

What were they?

Tort reform is dumb.
HSAs are a joke

Like 60 year old men forced to buy well baby coverage and mammogram coverage? :lol: The public hates Obummblercare for a reason. It sucks.

The GOP had ideas?

What were they?

Tort reform is dumb.
HSAs are a joke

Like 60 year old men forced to buy well baby coverage and mammogram coverage? :lol: The public hates Obummblercare for a reason. It sucks.

I'm sure everyone with pre existing conditions hate it most.

The GOP had ideas?

What were they?

Tort reform is dumb.
HSAs are a joke

I'm sure everyone with pre existing conditions hate it most.

Sucks and the majority of Americans know it. But nice try. :thup:

Forum List

Back