Troops begin combat operations in New Orleans

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
HURRAY FOR OUR TROOPS!!

NEW ORLEANS — Combat operations are underway on the streets “to take this city back” in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
“This place is going to look like Little Somalia,” Brig. Gen. Gary Jones, commander of the Louisiana National Guard’s Joint Task Force told Army Times Friday as hundreds of armed troops under his charge prepared to launch a massive citywide security mission from a staging area outside the Louisiana Superdome. “We’re going to go out and take this city back. This will be a combat operation to get this city under control.”

Jones said the military first needs to establish security throughout the city. Military and police officials have said there are several large areas of the city are in a full state of anarchy.

Dozens of military trucks and up-armored Humvees left the staging area just after 11 a.m. Friday, while hundreds more troops arrived at the same staging area in the city via Black Hawk and Chinook helicopters.

“We’re here to do whatever they need us to do,” Sgt. 1st Class Ron Dixon, of the Oklahoma National Guard’s 1345th Transportation Company. “We packed to stay as long as it takes.”

While some fight the insurgency in the city, other carry on with rescue and evacuation operations. Helicopters are still pulling hundreds of stranded people from rooftops of flooded homes.

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and police helicopters filled the city sky Friday morning. Most had armed soldiers manning the doors. According to Petty Officer 3rd Class Jeremy Grishamn, a spokesman for the amphibious assault ship Bataan, the vessel kept its helicopters at sea Thursday night after several military helicopters reported being shot at from the ground.

Numerous soldiers also told Army Times that they have been shot at by armed civilians in New Orleans. Spokesmen for the Joint Task Force Headquarters at the Superdome were unaware of any servicemen being wounded in the streets, although one soldier is recovering from a gunshot wound sustained during a struggle with a civilian in the dome Wednesday night.

“I never thought that at a National Guardsman I would be shot at by other Americans,” said Spc. Philip Baccus of the 527th Engineer Battalion. “And I never thought I’d have to carry a rifle when on a hurricane relief mission. This is a disgrace.”

Spc. Cliff Ferguson of the 527th Engineer Battalion pointed out that he knows there are plenty of decent people in New Orleans, but he said it is hard to stay motivated considering the circumstances.

“This is making a lot of us think about not reenlisting.” Ferguson said. “You have to think about whether it is worth risking your neck for someone who will turn around and shoot at you. We didn’t come here to fight a war. We came here to help.”

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-1077495.php

I hope this is not a mini Somalia. We saw President Clinton screwed up that military effort.

But you know the soldiers are right. They have to go in there and attack Americans now. This is disgraceful. I never thought we would see the day. Well...I have thought that we might see Americans fighting Americans in civil war, But I never really believed in my heart that it would happen. I was always hoping it wouldnt. This might not be huge, but in reality it is a civil war. How utterly disgusting.

"little Somalia"?

Does this mean we'll be there a week or two, have some of our guys get killed, than break away New Orleans from the rest of the country and have them be independent?

theim said:
"little Somalia"?

Does this mean we'll be there a week or two, have some of our guys get killed, than break away New Orleans from the rest of the country and have them be independent?

That brought a smile, thanks I needed it. I think the 'shoot to kill' should have been implemented 2 days ago, but better late than never, if there are still predators preying on anyone.

Kathianne said:
That brought a smile, thanks I needed it. I think the 'shoot to kill' should have been implemented 2 days ago, but better late than never, if there are still predators preying on anyone.

I agree. Perhaps even sooner? There are unconfirmed reports that some of the city's most organized gangs (3rd Ward Vicelords, Chopper City Crips) told police there were roving bands of armed drug addicts shooting people on the street, raiding drug houses, raping people and generally all around going nuts.

Lil Chechyna.

I just wish the troops godspeed and God's protection, because they're dealing with some truly sadistic, crazy monsters out there treating their part of New Orleans like their own fiefdom.

NATO AIR said:
I agree. Perhaps even sooner? There are unconfirmed reports that some of the city's most organized gangs (3rd Ward Vicelords, Chopper City Crips) told police there were roving bands of armed drug addicts shooting people on the street, raiding drug houses, raping people and generally all around going nuts.

Lil Chechyna.

I just wish the troops godspeed and God's protection, because they're dealing with some truly sadistic, crazy monsters out there treating their part of New Orleans like their own fiefdom.

Agreed, barbarians at the gate. However barbarians used to some levels of comforts and 'appropriate force' police. They are not used to being 'hunted' and my guess is a few examples and they will decide to stop. Not to mention, what they could get has probably been gotten.

Kathianne said:
Agreed, barbarians at the gate. However barbarians used to some levels of comforts and 'appropriate force' police. They are not used to being 'hunted' and my guess is a few examples and they will decide to stop. Not to mention, what they could get has probably been gotten.

Crack/drug fiends ain't too bright.

But yea, I almost feel sorry for them. A lot of these troops are from Iraq/Afghanistan and they will not hesitate to put a bullet in a sucker's head if he wants to act a fool and threaten somebody's life.

NATO AIR said:
Crack/drug fiends ain't too bright..

Not to mention paranoid. I've never seen people so paranoid in my life. They'll hole themselves up in a few spots and not move. They really are too stupid to live.

Said1 said:
Not to mention paranoid. I've never seen people so paranoid in my life. They'll hole themselves up in a few spots and not move. They really are too stupid to live.

Last I heard, they're sending the USS Iwo Jima to NO. That means a thousand combat Marines who probably just got screwed on an already heightened deployment tempo, and most have more than likely been in Iraq.

I hope they clean house. Everything that nornally hides these inner-city predators/parasites has been stripped away. There's nothing to hide their game now.

Go ahead ..... shoot at some pissed off jarheads.

GunnyL said:
Last I heard, they're sending the USS Iwo Jima to NO. That means a thousand combat Marines who probably just got screwed on an already heightened deployment tempo, and most have more than likely been in Iraq.

I hope they clean house. Everything that nornally hides these inner-city predators/parasites has been stripped away. There's nothing to hide their game now.

Go ahead ..... shoot at some pissed off jarheads.

heard a story from a senior chief who called the ship yesterday to check in (he's been on leave in biloxi, where his wife is a civilian facilitator/instructor at Keesler's navy/air force weather guesser school).

he joined in the relief efforts along with a recently seperated army medic. after two days in biloxi, they decided, screw it, let's hit the big time and go to NO.... hitched a ride with an MSNBC helicopter in Baton Rouge and ended up at a big hotel in new orleans that wasn't too flooded out but was near a relief operations center.
lo and behold, saturday morning the army medic meets his old first sgt., who is now in the LO national guard (high year tenure maybe, what do they have in the army? who knows)

the first sgt. told him it was a "shame we can't let you tag along"

medic asked him "why?"

"well shit, we're gonna make sure ain't no damn crackhead looters left for the jarheads to play with"

"some kind of competition first sgt?"

"hell naw, just wanna piss em off even more after having to deploy down here and then having nothing to shoot at"

NATO AIR said:
heard a story from a senior chief who called the ship yesterday to check in (he's been on leave in biloxi, where his wife is a civilian facilitator/instructor at Keesler's navy/air force weather guesser school).

he joined in the relief efforts along with a recently seperated army medic. after two days in biloxi, they decided, screw it, let's hit the big time and go to NO.... hitched a ride with an MSNBC helicopter in Baton Rouge and ended up at a big hotel in new orleans that wasn't too flooded out but was near a relief operations center.
lo and behold, saturday morning the army medic meets his old first sgt., who is now in the LO national guard (high year tenure maybe, what do they have in the army? who knows)

medic asked him "why?"

"well shit, we're gonna make sure ain't no damn crackhead looters left for the jarheads to play with"

"hell naw, just wanna piss em off even more after having to deploy down here and then having nothing to shoot at"

The New Orleans Mayor(won't say his name 'cause he is so stupid) was on CNN this morning...he is now saying his Police and Firemen are stressed out and wants to give them R&R outside the State...says: Las Vegas has alot of hotels and would be a good place to send them and their families...'no way Jose'...this man is a fraud...does he forget that 1/2 of his police and firemen walked off the job(AWOL) and the remaining holed up in there precincts not helping anyone but themselves(total corruption) I suppose he fears they will be the targets of the military since corruption in New Orleans is so well known!

NATO AIR said:

medic asked him "why?"

I doubt the Nat'l Guard has enough rounds to rid NO of the vermin. :poke:

GunnyL said:
A MEU on workups to deploy to the ME will. :firing:
PhoneCon from DIRFema to CMC:

CMC: Can I take your order sir?
DIRFema: yes, I'd like a BLT to go............ to new orleans
CMC: Coming right up sir.

pegwinn said:
PhoneCon from DIRFema to CMC:

CMC: Can I take your order sir?
DIRFema: yes, I'd like a BLT to go............ to new orleans
CMC: Coming right up sir.

I just hope it doesn't turn out like the Rodney King LA riots. They called us in to help, then Bradley wanted to take our ammo away.

It seems the difference in terminology concerning the word "cover" came to a head when a cop told a Marine in a Hummer to cover him and the Marine opened up on the house with his 60.

Heh .....

GunnyL said:
I just hope it doesn't turn out like the Rodney King LA riots. They called us in to help, then Bradley wanted to take our ammo away.

It seems the difference in terminology concerning the word "cover" came to a head when a cop told a Marine in a Hummer to cover him and the Marine opened up on the house with his 60.

Heh .....

Who were you with? They asked us to leave the city proper after a 25 tracked a lowrider fulla gangbangers.

pegwinn said:
Who were you with? They asked us to leave the city proper after a 25 tracked a lowrider fulla gangbangers.

"Us" = the Marines. I was with RTR at MCRD at the time. It was a big issue for the city of San Diego because they were worried the shit would spread. We were on alert just in case.

I had my herd all fired up that they were going to get to repel boarders! Privates are so gullible.

GunnyL said:
"Us" = the Marines. I was with RTR at MCRD at the time. It was a big issue for the city of San Diego because they were worried the shit would spread. We were on alert just in case.

I had my herd all fired up that they were going to get to repel boarders! Privates are so gullible.

Heh. I was with 3dLAV's. We went up and ended up coming back since the locals and grunts had it under control. On one occasion I noted an LAV25 tracking a ganbanger car. Amazing that the car skedaddled out quickly. Yeah privates are gullible. Ax qual anyone?

pegwinn said:
Heh. I was with 3dLAV's. We went up and ended up coming back since the locals and grunts had it under control. On one occasion I noted an LAV25 tracking a ganbanger car. Amazing that the car skedaddled out quickly. Yeah privates are gullible. Ax qual anyone?
No doubt I'm jumping in middle of something. I just want to note that since the Army has taken over LA problem and Marine's MS, there has been a noted decline in problems. Once again, the military shines.

Forum List

Back