Transparency... A Bad Thing?

House

Opinionated Ass
Nov 1, 2012
This post was inspired by IlarMeilyr's thread, The Pink List.

As this message board is primarily aimed at citizens of a supposedly free country where citizens value transparency by the government, I find it odd that there is so much resistance when a member requests information on the reason the governing body of this site operates.

Since when did information become the enemy? Would transparency in non-government related communities not also promote the desire for more transparency from our elected officials?

Why should we hold our representatives in government to a higher standard than we ourselves are willing to live by? Is this not the definition of hypocrisy?

I am not speaking from a position of rhetorical scenarios. I founded and administrated a community that operated on the basis of informing the member base not only on the reasons behind bans, but also the very management of the site itself. It inspired trust in the community for the moderating team, because they knew what to expect and what exactly what was and was not allowed (and why). Though I stepped down from administrative duties and gave the community over to a successor when I went over the road and no longer had the time to dedicate to managing it, I am proud to say that it still operates the same way as I began it because my administrative values were shared by the community.

Now I am aware that USMB is certainly not "my" community, and no two communities are managed the same (for very obvious reasons), but I can't fathom a purpose for advocating opaque management practices, especially in a community where members value transparency and expect it from their public officials.

With respect to you, what exactly are you wanting USMB staff to do?

The bylaws of this forum aren't the same as the laws that regulate government. Private owners can run their site as they see fit as long as they aren't breaking any laws. I don't personally see any need to know what the managers of this site are "up to." I come here to kill a little time and voice my insignificant opinions and the rules allow me to do that.

Forum List

Back