trade schools are better than higher ed. let me make the case, my friends!

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
If you went to school to learn a trade, you must be lesser, because someone long ago decided that college should be called “higher” education. Considering the state of colleges and universities today, the word “higher” may be the most misleading of them all.

The way we speak about education is inherently classist. When a student of lesser means attends a traditional four-year school, we say she “overcame her circumstances.” When a student from a wealthy background chooses a trade school we say he didn’t “live up to expectations.” We are all but telling people that the trade jobs this country needs are dirty, and that skills-based education is for people without means or, much worse, without potential.

So, that is why Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, Warren Buffet, and all of those other billionaires went to trade school; right?

• Banned
So, that is why Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, Warren Buffet, and all of those other billionaires went to trade school; right?
I have a 2 year AAS degree from a tech school and I make more than my brother, who is a CPA with a 6 year Bachelor's degree. I think with tech schools you get directed, specialized training. The standard colleges want you to spend vast amounts of money on "general" courses that don't really even apply to your trade, making them way overly expensive.

Trade schools get you more bang for your buck.

...When a student of lesser means attends a traditional four-year school, we say she “overcame her circumstances.” When a student from a wealthy background chooses a trade school we say he didn’t “live up to expectations.” ....

Who says that? If YOU do, knock it off.

• Banned
The theory is that you need the "other stuff" in order to make yourself viable for management. In reality it just teaches you the lexicons and doctrines of the central planners and provides a kind of "visa" that helps you impress the myopic, elitist gate keepers of the employers. Most HR dweebs are nothing but robotic idiots.

• Banned
i totally lied. I went to Rehab at 19 and never finished college (don’t tell anyone, okay?)

If you went to school to learn a trade, you must be lesser, because someone long ago decided that college should be called “higher” education. Considering the state of colleges and universities today, the word “higher” may be the most misleading of them all.

The way we speak about education is inherently classist. When a student of lesser means attends a traditional four-year school, we say she “overcame her circumstances.” When a student from a wealthy background chooses a trade school we say he didn’t “live up to expectations.” We are all but telling people that the trade jobs this country needs are dirty, and that skills-based education is for people without means or, much worse, without potential.
Different strokes for differ folks, a saying that certainly applies to folks making a decision about education.

First off, everyone should complete their high school education, whether you go to public school, private school, home schooled, or get a GED. Many large companies require a high school education for all jobs if you're over 21. Companies like fast food restaurants, retail sales, construction will hire you but they will do a double take when they see you don't have a high school education. The question is why don't. Completion of education always sends a message to employers that you have the ability to commit yourself to a task and finish it. Without a high school education, you're likely to hit a wage ceiling that can be difficult to surpass.

College is not for everyone. It is for everyone who has the ability to complete college without having to attend diploma mills and seek the easiest degrees. According to the US Census Bureau, a college degree is worth a million bucks over a lifetime.

The right kind of trade school, certification program, etc. can be very valuable to both those with and without college degrees. Many college curriculum particular liberal arts are great at teaching you to think, to study, and to analyze. You'll be able to talk to customers, your peers, and your bosses about a variety of subjects even in different languages. Unfortunately, you probably want have the specifics skills your employer is looking for unless you graduated in one of the hot fields in science or technology. Today in many of the vocational trades, employers want some basic job related education before they even take you on as an apprentice.

Last edited:
Have you ever heard of "aptitude"?

I have an IQ over 140, but I am a terrible carpenter. Can't make a square cut to save my ass, and I do carpentry around the house all the time. I've tried laying brick, and I can't lay a neat slab of mortar. Can't run a clean or even bead of weld material.

I know guys who can do all that, but who can't spell, or lay out a logical argument to support something they "feel" to be true.

Parents should work to try to figure out where a kid's talents lie, and to help them develop their talents as far as possible. Maybe they have talents that will never lead to a good income, so they have to be shown to either learn to live on the cheap, or find something else that will pay the bills while they play music on the side.

Trouble is, some parents believe that if their kids don't go to college, they will never "amount to anything," which is total bullshit. Shame on such parents.

And always remember, the MOST PROMISING path to financial success in this country is ENTREPRENEURSHIP! There are millions and millions of wildly successful people in this country who are business owners or simply investors, and often, the business has nothing to do with their formal education. They are landscapers, builders, store owners, used car dealers, home-improvement contractors, roofers, consultants, and so on. EVERYONE should consider a small business their first economic goal, then if that doesn't work out, look elsewhere. And it's best to start that small business before you have a wife, kids, and a mortgage.

And always remember, the MOST PROMISING path to financial success in this country is ENTREPRENEURSHIP! There are millions and millions of wildly successful people in this country who are business owners or simply investors, and often, the business has nothing to do with their formal education. They are landscapers, builders, store owners, used car dealers, home-improvement contractors, roofers, consultants, and so on. EVERYONE should consider a small business their first economic goal, then if that doesn't work out, look elsewhere. And it's best to start that small business before you have a wife, kids, and a mortgage.

thx, my sucessful biz is in yr 21.....

I could speak at length of the trades ,it's evolution , and probably bore the pants off most of you~S~

A case for increasing the minimum wage and unemployment compensation for simply being unemployed; to be better able to respond to local market conditions.

You know the funny thing, the trades have always been a hidey hole for college grads waiting for thier 'big break' .

I can recall this one youngster, tall , fit , wasn't so bad w/his hands .......realize that many construction sites are kinda like the star wars bar scene , 'cept with HH's ,carharts & toolbelts.....

So being i like conversation , i pic the kids interests ,easy to do with most.....only to learn he quietly subscribed to higher venacular mano 'e mano w/me

Finally, calling him out on what was obviously higher ed, he shyly admitted he was looking for a librarians job......220lb 6'3' young stud......mumblin' at his workboots

Last heard, he got his dream job.......to each his own!

~S~

With a higher minimum wage and compensation for capitalism's natural rate of unemployment; Labor can help pay for infrastructure they use.

A regime of continual upgrade would be a more efficient use of labor.

Forum List

Back