Torture of Plagerism

DamnYankee

No Neg Policy
Apr 2, 2009
So, do you think Maureen's "slip" was intentional, or subliminal, or completely innocent?

May 17, 2009
Categories: Blogs

Dowd lifts TPM passage; updates NYT column

A TPMCafe blogger charged plagiarism earlier after picking up on a striking similarity between a passage in Maureen Dowd's column today and a recent post by TPM editor Josh Marshall.

Dowd: "More and more the timeline is raising the question of why, if the torture was to prevent terrorist attacks, it seemed to happen mainly during the period when the Bush crowd was looking for what was essentially political information to justify the invasion of Iraq."

Marshall: "More and more the timeline is raising the question of why, if the torture was to prevent terrorist attacks, it seemed to happen mainly during the period when we were looking for what was essentially political information to justify the invasion of Iraq."

Since then, Dowd's column has been updated with a reference to Marshall and notes that there hadn't been proper attribution in the original Times piece.

While it might be assumed that Dowd accidentally cut-and-pasted the passage in her notes, and forgot the attribution, she tells Huffington Post that she never actually read Marshall's item. So how did it wind up on today's op-ed page?

i was talking to a friend of mine Friday about what I was writing who suggested I make this point, expressing it in a cogent -- and I assumed spontaneous -- way and I wanted to weave the idea into my column.

but, clearly, my friend must have read josh marshall without mentioning that to me. we're fixing it on the web, to give josh credit, and will include a note, as well as a formal correction tomorrow.

So Dowd unknowingly quoted Marshall without attribution, while assuming she was knowingly quoting a friend without attribution -- a friend who apparently has a great memory for remembering TPM posts verbatim and feeding them to Times columnists.

Updates follow....
Dowd lifts TPM passage; updates NYT column - Michael Calderone - POLITICO.com

She's been in the game too long to do it intentionally so I'm going with subliminal or innocent.

I find it hard to believe that the quoted piece, in question, is nearly verbatim and that she did not actually read her friend's previously written piece. Just too damned coincidental for me, regardless of how long she's been in the business.

There is no doubt she did it on purpose, fully cognizant of the implications and the fact it would be plastered all over cyberspace. Given the criticality of this information, posting it will forever relieve the minds of so many in doubt and probably lead to world peace and a cure for cancer.

"It is pretty obvious that the debasement of the human mind caused by a constant flow of fraudulent advertising is no trivial thing. There is more than one way to conquer a country."
Raymond Chandler

GOOD GOD, people, as much as I despise Maureen Dowd, at least she can fucking spell plagiarism correctly (though she probably plagiarized funk & wagnall's to do so).

Forum List

Back