Radio host savage always up for a fight

Philobeado

Gold Member
Apr 8, 2009
Gulf of Mexico Coast, Texas
By Jennifer Harper (Contact) | Sunday, May 17, 2009

The battle rages.

Shouts, warnings, directives, threats, a stray explosion or two. There's sudden silence, eloquent commentary, a plaintive oath — then a fierce laugh born of old New York. It is tough and merry, both wise and wise guy.

Batten down the hatches. Duck and cover. Michael Savage is on the airwaves, delivering his rapid-fire message over 400 radio stations, three hours a day, five days a week. He has fought the good fight for 15 years, flanked by his 10 million weekly listeners who now consider themselves the "Savage Nation."

Savage Battalion, more like.

They rally behind the laserlike takes on immigration, white males, cheeky liberals, wimpy conservatives, media bias, cultural wars, porous borders, Iraq, Afghanistan, terrorism, same-sex marriage, corrupt Hollywood, junk science, big medicine, big government, scurrilous officials. Mr. Savage is generous with personal memories. He pouts. He is giddy.

The loyal audience steps to the Savage drumbeat, they salute a man who is often at the center of a lawsuit, a boycott or public outrage.

"I do it because I do it. I speak, therefore I am," Mr. Savage says.

And that is it, the whole battle plan.

"People come to me because they know I will tell them the truth. The price is that you give your heart and soul every day. Every day. And in order to get there, you get thrown in the cauldron," he continues. "And a man emerges from that cauldron, and he is case hardened."

Mr. Savage has been in many, many cauldrons over the years.

This is a man who has described himself as "right of Rush Limbaugh, and left of God." He invented the phrase "compassionate conservative" 15 years ago, though it later became a rallying cry in the Republican quest for the White House.

Gay advocates continue to call him a bigot or a fascist. Mr. Savage has wrangled with the Roman Catholic Church for its humanitarian support of illegal immigrants. He accused the Council on American-Islamic Relations of maintaining ties to terrorists (CAIR), then sued them. The group in turn organized an advertising and listener boycott — a favorite method among Savage critics to defame him.

The cauldron du jour, though, is the entire British government. On May 4, Home Secretary Jacqui Smith included Mr. Savage on a list of 22 terrorists, criminals and other undesirables who were no longer welcome in the country. She claimed that the radio host was "fomenting hatred" and could prompt "intercommunity tension."

The event galvanized the press, not to mention a slew of free-speech advocates and the Savage Nation itself.

Their hero was primed to be savage, though. Mr. Savage called Mrs. Smith a lunatic, witch, Bolshevik, low-life and a tin-pot dictator among other things — then sued her for defamation of character, calling upon his listeners to cancel travel plans to Britain and boycott British goods.

"She painted a target on my back," he says.

Mr. Savage is appealing to Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton to have his name stricken from the list, using the Thomas More Law Center as an intermediary. Meanwhile, defenders emerged, including the American Radio Free Speech Coalition and — curiously — CAIR.

"Even though we have challenged Michael Savage's hate speech and even ran an advertising campaign against his show, we still do not back this ban from Britain based on principle, not based on the man himself. We believe freedom of speech is a two-way street," notes CAIR spokesman Ibrahim Hooper.

The situation is complex and full of competing dynamics — just like Mr. Savage himself.

By Jennifer Harper (Contact) | Sunday, May 17, 2009

The battle rages.

Shouts, warnings, directives, threats, a stray explosion or two. There's sudden silence, eloquent commentary, a plaintive oath — then a fierce laugh born of old New York. It is tough and merry, both wise and wise guy.

Batten down the hatches. Duck and cover. Michael Savage is on the airwaves, delivering his rapid-fire message over 400 radio stations, three hours a day, five days a week. He has fought the good fight for 15 years, flanked by his 10 million weekly listeners who now consider themselves the "Savage Nation."

Savage Battalion, more like.

They rally behind the laserlike takes on immigration, white males, cheeky liberals, wimpy conservatives, media bias, cultural wars, porous borders, Iraq, Afghanistan, terrorism, same-sex marriage, corrupt Hollywood, junk science, big medicine, big government, scurrilous officials. Mr. Savage is generous with personal memories. He pouts. He is giddy.

The loyal audience steps to the Savage drumbeat, they salute a man who is often at the center of a lawsuit, a boycott or public outrage.

"I do it because I do it. I speak, therefore I am," Mr. Savage says.

And that is it, the whole battle plan.

"People come to me because they know I will tell them the truth. The price is that you give your heart and soul every day. Every day. And in order to get there, you get thrown in the cauldron," he continues. "And a man emerges from that cauldron, and he is case hardened."

Mr. Savage has been in many, many cauldrons over the years.

This is a man who has described himself as "right of Rush Limbaugh, and left of God." He invented the phrase "compassionate conservative" 15 years ago, though it later became a rallying cry in the Republican quest for the White House.

Gay advocates continue to call him a bigot or a fascist. Mr. Savage has wrangled with the Roman Catholic Church for its humanitarian support of illegal immigrants. He accused the Council on American-Islamic Relations of maintaining ties to terrorists (CAIR), then sued them. The group in turn organized an advertising and listener boycott — a favorite method among Savage critics to defame him.

The cauldron du jour, though, is the entire British government. On May 4, Home Secretary Jacqui Smith included Mr. Savage on a list of 22 terrorists, criminals and other undesirables who were no longer welcome in the country. She claimed that the radio host was "fomenting hatred" and could prompt "intercommunity tension."

The event galvanized the press, not to mention a slew of free-speech advocates and the Savage Nation itself.

Their hero was primed to be savage, though. Mr. Savage called Mrs. Smith a lunatic, witch, Bolshevik, low-life and a tin-pot dictator among other things — then sued her for defamation of character, calling upon his listeners to cancel travel plans to Britain and boycott British goods.

"She painted a target on my back," he says.

Mr. Savage is appealing to Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton to have his name stricken from the list, using the Thomas More Law Center as an intermediary. Meanwhile, defenders emerged, including the American Radio Free Speech Coalition and — curiously — CAIR.

"Even though we have challenged Michael Savage's hate speech and even ran an advertising campaign against his show, we still do not back this ban from Britain based on principle, not based on the man himself. We believe freedom of speech is a two-way street," notes CAIR spokesman Ibrahim Hooper.

The situation is complex and full of competing dynamics — just like Mr. Savage himself.

LOL. You must be kidding. Dr. Savage is a silly loud-mouth coward. First of all, consider his tactic of resorting to name-calling when people call to voice their disagreements with him. Savage often hangs up on the callers and continues to berate them off the air. (He has such fairness and class. LOL) He resorts to name-calling other talk show hosts. He refers to Bill O’Reilly as the leprechaun. Yet, did you know that Michael’s original last name was Weiner?

Then there are the outlandish statements that he makes. He declared that 99 percent of autism cases involve a brat who hasn’t been told to cut the act out. Don’t let the title of “Dr.” fool you. He does not have a degree in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. He has never apologized for making such and offensive and erroneous claim – much less retract it.

He also does not seem to realize that freedom of speech includes the freedom to be quoted (to a degree), criticized, and boycotted. He sued Michael Savage Sucks, Savage Stupidity, and Take Back the Media, (web sites urging the boycott of Savage's sponsors). Obviously, Michael Savage can dish it out, but he can't take it. By the way, he lost those cases.

More recently, he sued CAIR for practically daring to do the same thing. CAIR compiled a 4-minute audio, put it on their web site, criticized him, and encouraged people to boycott him. CAIR's use of the radio program excerpts is, of course, protected under the fair use doctrine. The Copyright Act specifically makes clear that third parties may utilize copyrighted works for purposes of commentary or criticism, as CAIR did in this case.

He also sued CAIR for racketeering. The judge said Savage could try to amend this second claim by trying to show specific alleged financial harm by CAIR to his business. Savage decided not to file an amended racketeering claim. (He basically chickened out.) His attorney said that Savage had received threats and didn't want to take the risk that the case could inspire a "lone nut" to try to harm his family. (Yet, there is no proof to this allegation - not even a recorded call.)

Of course, the great Savage never though about possibly getting threats before he stated his suit. He never told his listeners, from whom he asked donations, that he might get spooked into giving up. He has yet to offer to return donates back to the people who thought that he would fulfill his promise to fight CAIR to the end and take it to the Supreme Court if necessary.

Now he is hinting at another lawsuit. Based upon his track record, if I were the opposition, I would not be the slightest bit concerned. In fact, I might thank him for the publicity. I doubt that there has been much excitement concerning the UK for quite some time. Oh no. Now the government has his name on some list and the government thinks that it should watch out for Savage. He might sue the DOJ or the UK. Big freaking deal. (Yawn)

Last edited:
Savage referred to the typical Obama voter--as sheep needing a sheep herder. The sheep herder being Barack Obama. Yes--very insulting as sheep are so stupid they would starve to death prior to finding a patch of rich grass on their own just 20 feet away.

Weiner is a self loathing, homophobic Jew, whose greatest wish at one time was to photograph Allen Ginsberg's rectum. He is a fraud, a xenophobe and an asshole. the world would be better off without him, and a hypocrite, now that he asks Hillary, his sworn enemy to fix his little immigration problem in the UK.

people in show biz usually don't use their real names:
Real Names of Famous Folk - Celebrity Pseudonym Central!

That was a neat web site – but I was referring to his competitors: O’Reilly, Limbaugh, and Hannity. He resorts to petty name-calling when Savage was the one who changed his name. Anyway, if we are to resort to name-calling, Cabbage would be a good name for Savage. It is bug and round with a roughage exterior, but consists of little more than hot air on the inside.

Forum List

Back