Top 5 Handgun Cartridges

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
This goes hand in hand with my previous thread. But I think it will generate more disagreement.

America s Top 5 Handgun Cartridges - American Rifleman

The author picked the .22lr, .38Special/.357Magnum, 9mm, .44Special/.44Magnum, and the .45ACP.

I own firearms in all but the 9mm. It is interesting that 2 of the cartridges listed are dual calibers.

Not a bad list at all.

Yes, the .38SP/.357 158gr HP....accurate and devastating revolver round.

One of my first gifts to my girlfriend was ammo for her .357. It is now loaded with a .38 Special shotshell in the first position, and MagSafe .357s in the next 5. Ain't love grand?

One of my first gifts to my girlfriend was ammo for her .357. It is now loaded with a .38 Special shotshell in the first position, and MagSafe .357s in the next 5. Ain't love grand?

Snake shot will eventually mess up the rifling in the barrel....we carry that way out here too because of rattlesnakes but don't practice with it.

This goes hand in hand with my previous thread. But I think it will generate more disagreement.

The author picked the .22lr, .38Special/.357Magnum, 9mm, .44Special/.44Magnum, and the .45ACP.

I own firearms in all but the 9mm. It is interesting that 2 of the cartridges listed are dual calibers.

Not a bad list at all.

Good list....but.
I think I'd pass on the 44 spec and go with the .40 cal.

Snake shot will eventually mess up the rifling in the barrel....we carry that way out here too because of rattlesnakes but don't practice with it.

I have only fired it to see how it patterned. I carry .44 Special shotshells in my Ruger when I'm out scouting hunting locations. It makes great snake and feral critter protection. She has it in her .357 to allow for nerves on the first shot. Probably not lethal if she shoots an intruder, but it will stop them from shooting back while she fired the next 5 rounds.

Not a bad list at all.

Good list....but.

To be fair, if you pass on the .44 Special you would have to pass on the .44 Magnum too. I might take the .40S&W over the 9mm, but since I already have my fav in a semi-auto, it is a moot point for me.

Not a bad list at all.

Good list....but.

To be fair, if you pass on the .44 Special you would have to pass on the .44 Magnum too. I might take the .40S&W over the 9mm, but since I already have my fav in a semi-auto, it is a moot point for me.

I thought we were talking cartridges? No reason you cant prefer the .44 mag over the special.
And I would no doubt take the .40 over the 9mm.
And like you I dont have a 9 and I have no desire to own one.
And like you my preferred caliber in a semi auto is the .45.

The plastic in most shot cartridges is more harmfull that the shot.

Lead is lead, no matter how it gets deposited on the rifling.

Good bronze brush and Hoppe's #9 works well.

I won't shoot a lead bullet in any high velocity cartridges because it just melts lead into the barrel.

.38+P in my old S&W is just as deadly as the .357.

Any energy expended by the bullet after it leaves the body is wasted anyway.

Note how many agencies are going to the 5.5's, which penetrate body armor and then ricochet all inside the body, wreaking havoc.

Not a bad list at all.

Good list....but.
Hard to compare.

There are virtually no .44 Mag semi-autos, and virtually no .40 revolvers.

The plastic in most shot cartridges is more harmfull that the shot.

Lead is lead, no matter how it gets deposited on the rifling.

Good bronze brush and Hoppe's #9 works well.

I won't shoot a lead bullet in any high velocity cartridges because it just melts lead into the barrel.

No, snake shot has a haphazard dispersal traveling over the rifling in an uneven pattern which will eventually start surface damage to the rifling. And yes Brother, we all know how to use a brush and Hoppe's.

I would rate them that way also except for the 9mm which is very popular but just have never cared much for myself. I have one or more handguns in those calibers but instead of the 9mm I have another duel caliber in the Tarus revolver in 45LC/ 410 shotshell which I expect will make a fine snake gun and home defence weapon where over penitration could be a problem. It might be remembered that in a revolver the .22 will also handle .22 short, .22 long, .22 CB, etc.

Not a bad list at all.

Good list....but.
Hard to compare.

Desert Eagle makes a nice .44 Mag semi auto.

Who'd need it? Don't know, but I plan to add one to my collection at some point.

mgm_de44.jpg

Not a bad list at all.

Good list....but.
Hard to compare.

Who'd need it? Don't know, but I plan to add one to my collection at some point.

mgm_de44.jpg

It is a cool gun. I'd like one in my collection too. I just can't justify spending the money for something that doesn't do anything my existing guns won't do as well or better.

The biggest complaint I have about the Desert Eagle is the damn thing is heavy as hell. It weights 4lbs 12 oz unloaded. That is only 8 ozs less than the Ruger M77/44. Better ballistics and easier to shoot accurately.

But, like I said, it is a cool gun.

Not a bad list at all.

Good list....but.
Hard to compare.

mgm_de44.jpg

It is a cool gun. I'd like one in my collection too. I just can't justify spending the money for something that doesn't do anything my existing guns won't do as well or better.

The biggest complaint I have about the Desert Eagle is the damn thing is heavy as hell. It weights 4lbs 12 oz unloaded. That is only 8 ozs less than the Ruger M77/44. Better ballistics and easier to shoot accurately.

I like the Ruger semi-auto .44 Carbine, though I wish it held more rounds.

Great hog gun.

Not a bad list at all.

Good list....but.
Hard to compare.

mgm_de44.jpg

I don't even shoot most of my collection, so that's either here nor there, but yeah if you're looking for a practical gun, that is not it.

Personally I love my Smith & Wesson .40, that's what I carried on duty and it's what I carry on the rare occasions when I still carry, and it is ALWAYS in my vehicle.

Not a bad list at all.

Good list....but.
Hard to compare.

mgm_de44.jpg

I don't even shoot most of my collection, so that's either here nor there, but yeah if you're looking for a practical gun, that is not it.

Personally I love my Smith & Wesson .40, that's what I carried on duty and it's what I carry on the rare occasions when I still carry, and it is ALWAYS in my vehicle.

I love my Springfield M1911. I've customized it a tad, so it works better for what I need. Other than that, the gun I am most likely to grab is my 10/22. It sees more time in my Jeep or being fired than the rest of my guns.

Good list....but.
Hard to compare.

mgm_de44.jpg

I love my Springfield M1911. I've customized it a tad, so it works better for what I need. Other than that, the gun I am most likely to grab is my 10/22. It sees more time in my Jeep or being fired than the rest of my guns.

I have a pretty nice M16A1 to. Shhhhhhhhhh

Forum List

Back