Top 5 Handgun Cartridges

Good list....but.
I think I'd pass on the 44 spec and go with the .40 cal.
Hard to compare.

There are virtually no .44 Mag semi-autos, and virtually no .40 revolvers.

Desert Eagle makes a nice .44 Mag semi auto.

Who'd need it? Don't know, but I plan to add one to my collection at some point.

mgm_de44.jpg

It is a cool gun. I'd like one in my collection too. I just can't justify spending the money for something that doesn't do anything my existing guns won't do as well or better.

The biggest complaint I have about the Desert Eagle is the damn thing is heavy as hell. It weights 4lbs 12 oz unloaded. That is only 8 ozs less than the Ruger M77/44. Better ballistics and easier to shoot accurately.

But, like I said, it is a cool gun.

I don't even shoot most of my collection, so that's either here nor there, but yeah if you're looking for a practical gun, that is not it.

Personally I love my Smith & Wesson .40, that's what I carried on duty and it's what I carry on the rare occasions when I still carry, and it is ALWAYS in my vehicle.

I love my Springfield M1911. I've customized it a tad, so it works better for what I need. Other than that, the gun I am most likely to grab is my 10/22. It sees more time in my Jeep or being fired than the rest of my guns.
I have a stainless 1911. Para Ordnance, made in GOUSA.

Goes with me most everywhere.

Hard to compare.

There are virtually no .44 Mag semi-autos, and virtually no .40 revolvers.

Who'd need it? Don't know, but I plan to add one to my collection at some point.

mgm_de44.jpg

It is a cool gun. I'd like one in my collection too. I just can't justify spending the money for something that doesn't do anything my existing guns won't do as well or better.

The biggest complaint I have about the Desert Eagle is the damn thing is heavy as hell. It weights 4lbs 12 oz unloaded. That is only 8 ozs less than the Ruger M77/44. Better ballistics and easier to shoot accurately.

I don't even shoot most of my collection, so that's either here nor there, but yeah if you're looking for a practical gun, that is not it.

Personally I love my Smith & Wesson .40, that's what I carried on duty and it's what I carry on the rare occasions when I still carry, and it is ALWAYS in my vehicle.

I love my Springfield M1911. I've customized it a tad, so it works better for what I need. Other than that, the gun I am most likely to grab is my 10/22. It sees more time in my Jeep or being fired than the rest of my guns.

I want

wm_md_7008554.jpg

I think Old Doggie makes guns from scratch ...!!!! Where you at Doggie....????

I'm surrprised the .380 isn't listed. More and more women are shooting and carrying and at least around here, the .380 is the odds on favorite.

I've trained on everything from a 22LR to a .45 cal, for many reasons my personal CC of choice is the Short 9 (9x18). I know some of you monster caliber advocates scoff at anything smaller than a .40 round but no one has yet accepted my challenge to stand down range and let me shoot them with a short 9 round........ I'll aim for an extremity, I promise. :thup:

I've trained on everything from a 22LR to a .45 cal, for many reasons my personal CC of choice is the Short 9 (9x18). I know some of you monster caliber advocates scoff at anything smaller than a .40 round but no one has yet accepted my challenge to stand down range and let me shoot them with a short 9 round........ I'll aim for an extremity, I promise. :thup:

I think the 9x18 is as good as a .380 for defense.

I choose my calibers by considering power, bullet size, recoil and accuracy. The size and style of the guns also has a say. For example, the Glock is a great gun. The advances in that firearm are amazing. But it doesn't fit my hand or my shooting. My M1911, on the other hand, fits perfectly.

I think the 9x18 is as good as a .380 for defense.

I choose my calibers by considering power, bullet size, recoil and accuracy. The size and style of the guns also has a say. For example, the Glock is a great gun. The advances in that firearm are amazing. But it doesn't fit my hand or my shooting. My M1911, on the other hand, fits perfectly.
Check out the ballistics gel tests of the .380 vs the 9x18, pretty big difference. I do have an old CZ52 that I like a lot but the 7.62 x 25 FMJ round will penetrate class II body armor so unless one is using hollow points, and the fact that it's big and heavy I would not like to use it as a personal protection sidearm. You'd have to be aware not only of what you're shooting at but also of anything behind the target........

mgm_de44.jpg

I want

wm_md_7008554.jpg

I have several, and they are my favorite handgun by far. The 1911 is second.

I want

wm_md_7008554.jpg

I should just go buy one, I've always wanted one. Just hard to convince myself to pay that kinda money for essentially a decoration.

I want

wm_md_7008554.jpg

I should just go buy one, I've always wanted one. Just hard to convince myself to pay that kinda money for essentially a decoration.

Why is it a decoration? I shoot all of mine except for the Cavalry revolver. That one is too valuable to shoot. The one I shoot the most was made in 1892! I load the cartridges myself to keep the power level low, and have a blast with it!

Well, I have all but the 9mm. I started out with it but like the recoil of a .45 better, not quite as sharp in my opinion. My favorite is the 1911. Designed by God through the hands of John Moses Browning.

My groups are half the size with them, especially the government size Springfield Armory TRP. It's a heavy beast, not a great carry gun but it's the best shooter of the bunch. A Colt Defender is usually with me and shoots the same as my Commanders.

Last edited:

I want

wm_md_7008554.jpg

Why is it a decoration? I shoot all of mine except for the Cavalry revolver. That one is too valuable to shoot. The one I shoot the most was made in 1892! I load the cartridges myself to keep the power level low, and have a blast with it!

Nearly all my guns are decorations at this point. I shoot my .40 Smith & Wesson regularly just to keep my proficiency, and I occasionally take some targets out and tear them up with the M16 just for fun; but I don't hunt, and I don't compete, I just enjoy collecting the guns themselves.

I want

wm_md_7008554.jpg

Nearly all my guns are decorations at this point. I shoot my .40 Smith & Wesson regularly just to keep my proficiency, and I occasionally take some targets out and tear them up with the M16 just for fun; but I don't hunt, and I don't compete, I just enjoy collecting the guns themselves.

Me too. But I still enjoy shooting them as well. I have a good sized yard to shoot in though!

Me too. But I still enjoy shooting them as well. I have a good sized yard to shoot in though!

I have a HUGE place to shoot. And I enjoy shooting, but not nearly as much as I used to. Finding myself in different hobbies now.

But I still enjoy having the guns.

I'm surrprised the .380 isn't listed. More and more women are shooting and carrying and at least around here, the .380 is the odds on favorite.

Pipsqueak round. Mouse gun totally unsuited for self-defense...honestly, I'm not sure I would trust it to stop a big dog.

Forum List

Back