Top 10 RB of all-time (from an honest perspective)

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
(1) Jim Brown (Had 5.2 yards per carry- highest ever- with only a 8 year career its amazing how long his career yards per season lasted)
(2) Barry Sanders (Also retired way to young! The man produced with some of the worst OL and worst air attacks ever - one of my all time favorites to walk)
(3) Walter Payton (It pains me to put him at 3rd, although he was great, the top 2 beat him - fast and 2nd total yards ever)
(4) Emmit Smith (Yes he was good and a good guy, but I hated the Cowboys back then, so that probably carried over - leader in yards all time)
(5) OJ Simpson (when he wasn't killing and beating his wife he was a stud running back)
(6) Gayle Sayers (Sandy Kofax of football, on track to be a easy top 5'er before he got injured, he was like the; in 5 seasons he was a 5 time starting probowler; scored 22 TD in his rookie season)
(7) Erik Dickerson (When he played he was one of the best; leader in yards per season)
(8) LT (He has proven to be one of the greats; Single season alltime TD king with 31, most TD by a RB 28; fewest games ever to get 100 TD; second to Smith in total TD; 4.4 ypc; tie for 3rd in 200 with 180)
(9) Marshall Faulk (Not only a great runner, but one of the best catching RB in history; 12,739 career yardsm 4.3 ypg, 130 TD - he is arguably great)
t(10) Earl Campbell (before my time; but he had 4.4 ypg, was know as the best power back of all time) andTony Dorsett (12,739 career yards, 4.3 ypc and 92 TD; he was a great

The only current player, other than LT, that I think will make this list is Adrian Peterson (barring an injury) he is a stud in the likes of Barry Sanders!

Last edited:
Hook

Like your list...
Only comments are Gayle Sayers career was too short. He falls into the what might have been category. If we want to do that, lets include Bo Jackson. The guy was unstoppable till he got hurt.

Earl Campbell was one of the best I ever saw. Pounded right over you. If Bum Phillips had not worn him out he would have been at the top of the list. Earl is not doing so well these days

Another guy I loved who doesn't get much credit is John Riggins. He wasn't flashy and didn't get the highlight runs of a Barry Sanders or OJ but damn that guy could move the chains. Three yards, five yards, four yards....he would just wear down the defense and keep getting those first downs when you needed them

Hook

Like your list...
Only comments are Gayle Sayers career was too short. He falls into the what might have been category. If we want to do that, lets include Bo Jackson. The guy was unstoppable till he got hurt.

Earl Campbell was one of the best I ever saw. Pounded right over you. If Bum Phillips had not worn him out he would have been at the top of the list. Earl is not doing so well these days

Another guy I loved who doesn't get much credit is John Riggins. He wasn't flashy and didn't get the highlight runs of a Barry Sanders or OJ but damn that guy could move the chains. Three yards, five yards, four yards....he would just wear down the defense and keep getting those first downs when you needed them

Make a list! :eusa_angel:

See its sometimes hard to rank a guy when you really didn't get to see him play like Campbell. I was born in '78 when he got drafted!

1. Jim Brown- Bar none
2. Walter Payton- Ever see the guy block? wasn't anything he couldn't do
3. Emmitt Smith- Bruising runner and tough
4. Barry Sanders- Have some issues with Barry or he would have been higher
5. OJ- Great instincts and rapid changes in speed
6. Earl Campbell- Closest to Jim Brown. Teams feared going up against him
7. Eric Dickerson- Amazing athlete, could have been more motivated
8. John Riggins- Move the chain, move the chain, move the chain
9. Marshall Faulk- Running and pass catching
10. LT- Best of the modern players. Will go higher

Old School

1. Jim Thorpe
2. Red Grange
3. Bronco Nagurski
4. Jim Taylor

Running backs now, let's see...

1)Walter Payton...Best i ever saw, played for a crap team most of the time, could do it all
2) Jim Brown...Isn't number one because he didn't love the game, quit in his prime to make movies
3)Barry Sanders...Guy was electric
4)Emmit Smith...Jets fans still kick themselves for passing on him to take Blair Thomas
5)Thurman Thomas..Thermal made the Bills no huddle the best offense in NFL history, only bad Super Bowls prevented them from getting the recognition they deserved
6)Earl Cambell...A monster, game breaker all by himself
7)OJ Anderson...the other OJ, gained 10,000 with the Crappy cards, and as an old man won 2 Superbowls with the Giants and was even MVP of a SB
8)Franco Harris...Was the gold standard for RBs for years, tough runner who could catch the ball and was a winner, 4 SB rings
9)Tony Dorsett...flashy and fast, helped make Dallas America's team in the 70s
10) OJ Simpson...A peice of shit, but a top NFL back

Dishonorable mention: Larry Csonka, Giants fans will NEVER forget 'the fumble.'

About some of the other backs mentioned, Dickerson was never a winner and did a fast fade, Sayers's career was shortened by injuries, Tomlinson just hasn't played enough, and I was never a huge fan of faulk.

Personally... I do take into account numbers, an overall view of the surrounding talent and whether there was all-pro support to gain those #'s or not, era, rule differences in those eras, doing it consistently over time (not necessarily who did it the longest) etc....

For me personally

And I am going to go for within the last 60 years... nothing pre-1950...

1) Barry Sanders - If he had any resemblance of a line or surrounding talent, his numbers would have been astronomical
2) Jim Brown - Is there any doubt he was a beast?... a lycanthrope with football gear
3) Eric Dickerson
4) Walter Payton
5) OJ Simpson
6) Marshall Faulk - Probably the best receiving back ever who was also a legit top tier runner
7) Emmit Smith - Consider him inflated with possibly the best OL ever and so many other weapons around him
8) Earl Campbell
9) LT - Though I don't think he'll go higher.. he's pretty much running on a quickly emptying tank
10)Thurman Thomas

Good that someone gave some old school props to Thorpe... the greatest athlete in the 20th century

As much as I would like to put Sayers in there, he just did not do it long enough... and for that matter, who knows what the hell Bo Jackson could have done... my god that could have been 1 special guy

And lest we not forget Frank Gifford... great RB and came back as a great flanker after bad injury....

Last edited:
1. Jim Brown- Bar none
2. Walter Payton- Ever see the guy block? wasn't anything he couldn't do
3. Emmitt Smith- Bruising runner and tough
4. Barry Sanders- Have some issues with Barry or he would have been higher
5. OJ- Great instincts and rapid changes in speed
6. Earl Campbell- Closest to Jim Brown. Teams feared going up against him
7. Eric Dickerson- Amazing athlete, could have been more motivated
8. John Riggins- Move the chain, move the chain, move the chain
9. Marshall Faulk- Running and pass catching
10. LT- Best of the modern players. Will go higher

Old School

1. Jim Thorpe
2. Red Grange
3. Bronco Nagurski
4. Jim Taylor

Add: Joe Perry, Elroy (crazyLegs) Hirsch, Hugh McElhenny, Ollie Matson

1)Walter Payton...Best i ever saw, played for a crap team most of the time, could do it all
2) Jim Brown...Isn't number one because he didn't love the game, quit in his prime to make movies
4)Emmit Smith...Jets fans still kick themselves for passing on him to take Blair Thomas
5)Thurman Thomas..Thermal made the Bills no huddle the best offense in NFL history, only bad Super Bowls prevented them from getting the recognition they deserved
7)OJ Anderson...the other OJ, gained 10,000 with the Crappy cards, and as an old man won 2 Superbowls with the Giants and was even MVP of a SB
8)Franco Harris...Was the gold standard for RBs for years, tough runner who could catch the ball and was a winner, 4 SB rings

About some of the other backs mentioned, Dickerson was never a winner and did a fast fade, Sayers's career was shortened by injuries, Tomlinson just hasn't played enough, and I was never a huge fan of faulk.

OJ Anderson who?
Franco Harris, the arguably the best FB in football history (although I put Mike Alstot ahead of him), was great but not good enough to break the top 10. Thomas was great, but I think the others were better!

OJ Anderson who?
Franco Harris, the arguably the best FB in football history (although I put Mike Alstot ahead of him), was great but not good enough to break the top 10. Thomas was great, but I think the others were better!
Harris was a half back, not full back, Rocky Bleir was the full back on that team.

OJ Anderson was a great back, a lot of his best years were spent on horrible cards teams.

Alstot can't shine Harris's cletes, everyone believed Franco would best Jim Brown's record but age caught up to him.

1. Walter Payton - his agility almost makes one forget that he could run round, through and over people as well. The best all round back ever.
2. Barry Sanders - played on a useless team all his career, but would have set the yardage record had he not retired early. Changed direction like a fish.
3. Eric Dickerson - A threat to score every time he touched the ball. He was to running what Marino was to passing.
4. Earl Campbell - The best power back ever. To have Campbell coming straight at you at speed must have been terrifying.
5. Jim Brown - slightly before my time, but the film I've seen of him is spectacular. Would have loved to have seen him play the game today.
6. Gayle Sayers - Had he had a full career, he could have been right at the top. His moves were as good as Sanders, but he was arguably faster.
7. Red Grange - The galloping ghost. Changed the pro game forever and was voted the greatest ever collegiate player.
8. O.J. Simpson - never looked fast until you noticed the fact that he kept running away from defenders.
9. Marcus Allen - a great threat as a receiver as well, but an even better runner and almost unstoppable at the goal line. I take Allen over Faulk.
10. Emmit Smith - a great runner, but not sure he would have achieved what he did without the benefit of being on some great teams.

10. Emmit Smith - a great runner, but not sure he would have achieved what he did without the benefit of being on some great teams.
All you need to know to answer this, is how poorly these "great" teams did when he was injured or out for contractual issues. Quick answer: Very poorly.

Last edited:
Doak Walker, in only 5 years, racked up 33 touchdowns in only 1,520 yards.

But, I think Adrian Peterson already belongs in the Top 10. The guy is a beast.

But, I think Adrian Peterson already belongs in the Top 10. The guy is a beast.
So you are telling me if AP career ended today (I sure hope not my fantasy is very reliant on him) that he would be a top 10? No way!

I definitely think he has a chance, barring injury, crack the top 10, but if it ended now. No way!

(1) Jim Brown (Had 5.2 yards per carry- highest ever- with only a 8 year career its amazing how long his career yards per season lasted)
(2) Barry Sanders (Also retired way to young! The man produced with some of the worst OL and worst air attacks ever - one of my all time favorites to walk)
(3) Walter Payton (It pains me to put him at 3rd, although he was great, the top 2 beat him - fast and 2nd total yards ever)
(4) Emmit Smith (Yes he was good and a good guy, but I hated the Cowboys back then, so that probably carried over - leader in yards all time)
(5) OJ Simpson (when he wasn't killing and beating his wife he was a stud running back)
(6) Gayle Sayers (Sandy Kofax of football, on track to be a easy top 5'er before he got injured, he was like the; in 5 seasons he was a 5 time starting probowler; scored 22 TD in his rookie season)
(7) Erik Dickerson (When he played he was one of the best; leader in yards per season)
(8) LT (He has proven to be one of the greats; Single season alltime TD king with 31, most TD by a RB 28; fewest games ever to get 100 TD; second to Smith in total TD; 4.4 ypc; tie for 3rd in 200 with 180)
(9) Marshall Faulk (Not only a great runner, but one of the best catching RB in history; 12,739 career yardsm 4.3 ypg, 130 TD - he is arguably great)
t(10) Earl Campbell (before my time; but he had 4.4 ypg, was know as the best power back of all time) andTony Dorsett (12,739 career yards, 4.3 ypc and 92 TD; he was a great

The only current player, other than LT, that I think will make this list is Adrian Peterson (barring an injury) he is a stud in the likes of Barry Sanders!

Gale Sayers was 10 times the RB Emmitt was. OJ was as well, but fuck OJ. Gale should be #2.

Gale Sayers was 10 times the RB Emmitt was. OJ was as well, but fuck OJ. Gale should be #2.

I am as much of a homer like any other Bears fan, but from an honest perspective Sayers could be that high!

I am as much of a homer like any other Bears fan, but from an honest perspective Sayers could be that high!

Before his injury, anyway. He had a style similar to Barry. The Bears draft in 65 has to be the best for any team ever. Butkus and Sayers? I am unaware of any draft better than that.

Walter Payton (no need for supporting comments)

Barry Sanders (did it with NO help at all from o-line)

Jim Brown (although I'd like to have seen what he could do if he'd have finished his career, much like Barry)

Emmitt - even though he had the best o-line and fullback in history, and one of the greatest passing games ever to help set up his running game

Marshall Faulk - I could have easily put him higher, but I gave Emitt over him because of stats alone.

Dickerson

Dorsett

Sayers

OJ

Bo Jackson - just because of the potential he had

I want to put Jamal Lewis in for honorable mention, and also Curtis Martin, THE MOST underrated running back in football history.

Last edited:
Walter Payton (no need for supporting comments)

Barry Sanders (did it with NO help at all from o-line)

Jim Brown (although I'd like to have seen what he could do if he'd have finished his career, much like Barry)

Emmitt - even though he had the best o-line and fullback in history, and one of the greatest passing games ever to help set up his running game

Marshall Faulk - I could have easily put him higher, but I gave Emitt over him because of stats alone.

Dickerson

Dorsett

Sayers

OJ

Bo Jackson - just because of the potential he had

I want to put Jamal Lewis in for honorable mention.

See I think Erik Williams and Larry Allen had a lot to do with Emmitt's success. I can only imagine what Dorsett could have done with the O-line emmitt had. I might put dorsett ahead of emmitt.

Forum List

Back