Top 10 RB of all-time (from an honest perspective)

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GHook93, Oct 23, 2009.

1. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,926
    (1) Jim Brown (Had 5.2 yards per carry- highest ever- with only a 8 year career its amazing how long his career yards per season lasted)
    (2) Barry Sanders (Also retired way to young! The man produced with some of the worst OL and worst air attacks ever - one of my all time favorites to walk)
    (3) Walter Payton (It pains me to put him at 3rd, although he was great, the top 2 beat him - fast and 2nd total yards ever)
    (4) Emmit Smith (Yes he was good and a good guy, but I hated the Cowboys back then, so that probably carried over - leader in yards all time)
    (5) OJ Simpson (when he wasn't killing and beating his wife he was a stud running back)
    (6) Gayle Sayers (Sandy Kofax of football, on track to be a easy top 5'er before he got injured, he was like the; in 5 seasons he was a 5 time starting probowler; scored 22 TD in his rookie season)
    (7) Erik Dickerson (When he played he was one of the best; leader in yards per season)
    (8) LT (He has proven to be one of the greats; Single season alltime TD king with 31, most TD by a RB 28; fewest games ever to get 100 TD; second to Smith in total TD; 4.4 ypc; tie for 3rd in 200 with 180)
    (9) Marshall Faulk (Not only a great runner, but one of the best catching RB in history; 12,739 career yardsm 4.3 ypg, 130 TD - he is arguably great)
    t(10) Earl Campbell (before my time; but he had 4.4 ypg, was know as the best power back of all time) andTony Dorsett (12,739 career yards, 4.3 ypc and 92 TD; he was a great

The only current player, other than LT, that I think will make this list is Adrian Peterson (barring an injury) he is a stud in the likes of Barry Sanders!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  2. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    If it's an "honest perspective" it shouldn't matter if you liked their team or not. Also:
    Huh?

3. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,326
    Hook

Like your list...
    Only comments are Gayle Sayers career was too short. He falls into the what might have been category. If we want to do that, lets include Bo Jackson. The guy was unstoppable till he got hurt.

Earl Campbell was one of the best I ever saw. Pounded right over you. If Bum Phillips had not worn him out he would have been at the top of the list. Earl is not doing so well these days

Another guy I loved who doesn't get much credit is John Riggins. He wasn't flashy and didn't get the highlight runs of a Barry Sanders or OJ but damn that guy could move the chains. Three yards, five yards, four yards....he would just wear down the defense and keep getting those first downs when you needed them

4. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,926
    See if I was being dishonest I would have Sweetness #1 and Sayers over OJ!

Opps I meant to put wasn't

5. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,926
    Make a list! :eusa_angel:

See its sometimes hard to rank a guy when you really didn't get to see him play like Campbell. I was born in '78 when he got drafted!

6. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,326
    1. Jim Brown- Bar none
    2. Walter Payton- Ever see the guy block? wasn't anything he couldn't do
    3. Emmitt Smith- Bruising runner and tough
    4. Barry Sanders- Have some issues with Barry or he would have been higher
    5. OJ- Great instincts and rapid changes in speed
    6. Earl Campbell- Closest to Jim Brown. Teams feared going up against him
    7. Eric Dickerson- Amazing athlete, could have been more motivated
    8. John Riggins- Move the chain, move the chain, move the chain
    9. Marshall Faulk- Running and pass catching
    10. LT- Best of the modern players. Will go higher

Old School

1. Jim Thorpe
    2. Red Grange
    3. Bronco Nagurski
    4. Jim Taylor

7. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    Running backs now, let's see...

1)Walter Payton...Best i ever saw, played for a crap team most of the time, could do it all
    2) Jim Brown...Isn't number one because he didn't love the game, quit in his prime to make movies
    3)Barry Sanders...Guy was electric
    4)Emmit Smith...Jets fans still kick themselves for passing on him to take Blair Thomas
    5)Thurman Thomas..Thermal made the Bills no huddle the best offense in NFL history, only bad Super Bowls prevented them from getting the recognition they deserved
    6)Earl Cambell...A monster, game breaker all by himself
    7)OJ Anderson...the other OJ, gained 10,000 with the Crappy cards, and as an old man won 2 Superbowls with the Giants and was even MVP of a SB
    8)Franco Harris...Was the gold standard for RBs for years, tough runner who could catch the ball and was a winner, 4 SB rings
    9)Tony Dorsett...flashy and fast, helped make Dallas America's team in the 70s
    10) OJ Simpson...A peice of shit, but a top NFL back

Dishonorable mention: Larry Csonka, Giants fans will NEVER forget 'the fumble.'

About some of the other backs mentioned, Dickerson was never a winner and did a fast fade, Sayers's career was shortened by injuries, Tomlinson just hasn't played enough, and I was never a huge fan of faulk.

8. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Personally... I do take into account numbers, an overall view of the surrounding talent and whether there was all-pro support to gain those #'s or not, era, rule differences in those eras, doing it consistently over time (not necessarily who did it the longest) etc....

For me personally

And I am going to go for within the last 60 years... nothing pre-1950...

1) Barry Sanders - If he had any resemblance of a line or surrounding talent, his numbers would have been astronomical
    2) Jim Brown - Is there any doubt he was a beast?... a lycanthrope with football gear
    3) Eric Dickerson
    4) Walter Payton
    5) OJ Simpson
    6) Marshall Faulk - Probably the best receiving back ever who was also a legit top tier runner
    7) Emmit Smith - Consider him inflated with possibly the best OL ever and so many other weapons around him
    8) Earl Campbell
    9) LT - Though I don't think he'll go higher.. he's pretty much running on a quickly emptying tank
    10)Thurman Thomas

Good that someone gave some old school props to Thorpe... the greatest athlete in the 20th century

As much as I would like to put Sayers in there, he just did not do it long enough... and for that matter, who knows what the hell Bo Jackson could have done... my god that could have been 1 special guy

And lest we not forget Frank Gifford... great RB and came back as a great flanker after bad injury....

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  9. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,155
    Add: Joe Perry, Elroy (crazyLegs) Hirsch, Hugh McElhenny, Ollie Matson

10. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,926
    OJ Anderson who?
    Franco Harris, the arguably the best FB in football history (although I put Mike Alstot ahead of him), was great but not good enough to break the top 10. Thomas was great, but I think the others were better!