Tom Smothers

R.I.P.

He always played the dumb one, but in reality they say he was very bright.

Tom Smothers - who is one half of iconic comedy duo the Smothers Brothers - has passed away at 86 after a battle with cancer.

His brother Dick Smothers, 84, announced that his brother and co-star passed away at home surrounded by family in Sonoma County, California on Tuesday.

Dick said: 'Tom was not only the loving older brother that everyone would want in their life, he was a one-of-a-kind creative partner.

Comment:
The Smother Brothers TV show was on the cutting edge of social humor.
The variety TV show format died in the 70s.

here is a good clip with the "misgendered "girl from uncle"

Tom Smothers - who is one half of iconic comedy duo the Smothers Brothers - has passed away at 86 after a battle with cancer.

His brother Dick Smothers, 84, announced that his brother and co-star passed away at home surrounded by family in Sonoma County, California on Tuesday.

Dick said: 'Tom was not only the loving older brother that everyone would want in their life, he was a one-of-a-kind creative partner.

Comment:
/----/ Monday morning in high school, everyone would be talking about the hilarity on the Smothers' Brothers TV show. Many of us had their albums and knew routines by heart.
1703772145732.png

Comment:
My mom went to high school with him.

The brothers decided to discontinue the comedy show because of threats of censorship.
i think that decision came from cbs rather than the bothers. but "you can't fire me. i quit" would be a common enough response.

i don't know the show's ratings, but many people i know watched.

i think that decision came from cbs rather than the bothers. but "you can't fire me. i quit" would be a common enough response.

i don't know the show's ratings, but many people i know watched.
The show had good ratings but the network wanted them to be less controversial. The brothers could not agree to watering down their show.

I never thought that Dick was funny at all. He was just a straight man for Tom, just as Dan Rowan was for Dick Martin.

Forum List

Back