Debate Now Tolerance - Political Correctness - Liberty & Constitutional Law

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Tolerance - Political Correctness - Liberty & Constitutional Law

"Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech..."

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.​
--

Part of the US Constitution is the Bill of Rights: Bill of Rights Constitution US Law LII Legal Information Institute

Rules in effect:
"Zone 1": Clean Debate Zone (CDZ) / Introduce Yourself (Welcome Threads): Civil discourse is the focus here, regardless of topic matter. Constructive criticism and debate is the tone. No insulting, name calling, or putting down other posters. Consider it a lesson in Civics.

THE TOPICS TO BE DISCUSSED: Agree or disagree:

(1) Tolerance is a one-way street allowing opposing points of view to exist side by side in peace.

(2) Political Correctness exists only in the politically correct worlds of extremists on all sides

(3) Liberty is thrown around these days like a wet noodle at a Vegetarian restaurant. It is losing it's meaning and value in our society because of those who have abused and misused the term. Think calling every sexual encounter that is clumsy or that unfortunately ends badly, rape; every battle between people a holocaust; every Republican a right winger; every Democrat...you get the idea.

(4) Constitution law is a subject most people know little about, and those who know more than a little are usually proven wrong time and time again.​

PC is no more then the rape of true English to please a crowd that wants bigotry hidden not destroyed. Case in point.

"African American" is a term that is thought to be PC yet is in fact racist. They do this by putting the lesser group BEFORE the greater. Not all are African but all are American.

Mexico which I travel to often says Mexican African or Mexican Asian thus putting the greater group first.

PC is no more then the rape of true English to please a crowd that wants bigotry hidden not destroyed. Case in point.

"African American" is a term that is thought to be PC yet is in fact racist. They do this by putting the lesser group BEFORE the greater. Not all are African but all are American.

Mexico which I travel to often says Mexican African or Mexican Asian thus putting the greater group first.
Greater according to what

Greater to national origin or tribe. See people get on me for the word Negro but that denotes a pigment tint NOT a group. Are ALL Negros African? No and never have been.

Are ALL Pinky's American? No and never have been.

True English? Maybe you could explain that in another post. :lol:

If African-American is racist, what is Asian-American, and Irish-American?

It's amusing to see you mention the language Mexicans use. They often out a modifier after where we would before. It appears you have misunderstood what is really at play with language and have done so in order to bolster a weak argument

Greater to national origin or tribe. See people get on me for the word Negro but that denotes a pigment tint NOT a group. Are ALL Negros African? No and never have been.

Are ALL Pinky's American? No and never have been.

It's a larger group is all. You're conflating things

It's amusing to see you mention the language Mexicans use. They often out a modifier after where we would before. It appears you have misunderstood what is really at play with language and have done so in order to bolster a weak argument
No, Mexico comes first in the name. Travel there OFTEN and understand the reason behind it.

No, Mexico comes first in the name. Travel there OFTEN and understand the reason behind it.
You appear to be misunderstanding things. It's okay. You're not alone

A hyphenated American usually is prouder to be American than the modifier. You're just conflating thing to make a preconceived argument look like it is back up with facts

Free expression is always paramount. If I wished to refer to myself as an American or Arizonan or Basque-American it's my right. Why do others care?

What people call themselves is their business. Now it may be insensitive of me to NOT go along, but it is not against the law. And this where people like Foxfyre and her merry band of posters are so off course.

A hyphenated American usually is prouder to be American than the modifier. You're just conflating thing to make a preconceived argument look like it is back up with facts
I disagree I am half Mexican and live 90 miles from the border and travel there at least once a month. The "Mexican part is put first to establish national identity. Even on your passport from the it will say race...Mexican African or Mexican Asian.
The first to describe the nation of origin and the second to describe race.

And ANY race line is in truth false because not ALL Asian's are from Asia or Negros from Africa. There ARE African whites as well.

I disagree I am half Mexican and live 90 miles from the border and travel there at least once a month. The "Mexican part is put first to establish national identity. Even on your passport from the it will say race...Mexican African or Mexican Asian.

And ANY race line is in truth false because not ALL Asian's are from Asia or Negros from Africa. There ARE African whites as well.
What's up with the la raza bs?

It's language usage.

What's up with the la raza bs?

It's language usage.
To me I see La Raza as a cover group for drug cartels. Kind of like CAIR for the muslims.

Free expression is always paramount. If I wished to refer to myself as an American or Arizonan or Basque-American it's my right. Why do others care?

What people call themselves is their business. Now it may be insensitive of me to NOT go along, but it is not against the law. And this where people like Foxfyre and her merry band of posters are so off course.

Very true.

I'll state again. I really feel that conservative is code word for "stopped trying". Whenever and where ever you were in your mindset when you decided to stop trying sort of sets your beliefs in a cast and anything that threatens that cast must be destroyed.

Everything else is window dressing supporting that underlying goal.

Indeed. Now, to this wet noodle stuff.

Liberty comes with personal responsibility, although personal responsibility is no explicitly written in the US Constitution. Personal responsibility is the sum of positive things a person can do to contribute to the well being of his society, in others words, carrying the civic burden without complaint. Whether we like it or not, we Americans are one family and have to deal with each other.

Liberty ties into political correctness and makes the noodle even wetter in that liberty may allow a person to say anything he wants, but this doesn't mean he should thoughtlessy, automatically say it.

The only way to stiffen the noodle is to put it under the healing expose of the sun's light and wait.

And wait.

And turn the noodle over.

And wait some more.

Because until you are planning to eat it, a stiff noodle is better than a wet noodle. It lasts longer.

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.​
--

Part of the US Constitution is the Bill of Rights: Bill of Rights Constitution US Law LII Legal Information Institute

Rules in effect:
"Zone 1":
Clean Debate Zone (CDZ) / Introduce Yourself (Welcome Threads): Civil discourse is the focus here, regardless of topic matter. Constructive criticism and debate is the tone. No insulting, name calling, or putting down other posters. Consider it a lesson in Civics.

(1) Tolerance is a one-way street allowing opposing points of view to exist side by side in peace.

(2) Political Correctness exists only in the politically correct worlds of extremists on all sides

(3) Liberty is thrown around these days like a wet noodle at a Vegetarian restaurant. It is losing it's meaning and value in our society because of those who have abused and misused the term. Think calling every sexual encounter that is clumsy or that unfortunately ends badly, rape; every battle between people a holocaust; every Republican a right winger; every Democrat...you get the idea.

(4) Constitution law is a subject most people know little about, and those who know more than a little are usually proven wrong time and time again.​
What is tolerance? The word is linked to gays and aliens nowadays. Occupied. Coming alongside "tolerance" is the term "political correctness". What the heck is this? Who the heck has the right to tell me what is correct? Whose moral weights more than mine?
Back then, under Hitler, it was "political correct" to demonize Jews.
Heck, those are the fuck not tolerant, that tell us what we have to tolerate. .

Amendment I
--

Rules in effect:
"Zone 1":
Clean Debate Zone (CDZ) / Introduce Yourself (Welcome Threads): Civil discourse is the focus here, regardless of topic matter. Constructive criticism and debate is the tone. No insulting, name calling, or putting down other posters. Consider it a lesson in Civics.

What is tolerance? The word is linked to gays and aliens nowadays. Occupied. Coming alongside "tolerance" is the term "political correctness". What the heck is this? Who the heck has the right to tell me what is correct? Whose moral weights more than mine?

Uhm, no.

But it is common to hear from bigots and racists that they feel very strongly that they are being told what they have to tolerate.

Racists and bigots are like little 3rd graders who get caught doing something naughty and then have a hissy-fit.

:D

BTW, in English, "that", as you used in your last sentence, refers to things, meaning, inamimate objects.
But "those", which is the subject of your sentence, before the predicate, refers to animate objects, like people. So, you need the word "who", not "that".

Just a friendly hint, nothing more. Englische Grammatik hat auch ihre Macken und Tücken, weißt Du...

Amendment I
--

Rules in effect:
"Zone 1":

I actually think you make a good point. Anything can be taken to an extreme and I think we see that quite a bit with political correctness in our hyper divided society. I'm not sure why someone feels they need to carry a loaded AK 47 into Chilis or shotguns into Target Stores. I understand it's their right to do so under the law. But just as it is your right to never take a bath then get on to a public transit bus or subway, there should be reasons to do what you do and there should be reasons to oppose someone doing things that you object to; reasons beyond that you're bothered by the action.

Amendment I
--

Rules in effect:
"Zone 1":

Uhm, no.

But it is common to hear from bigots and racists that they feel very strongly that they are being told what they have to tolerate.

Racists and bigots are like little 3rd graders who get caught doing something naughty and then have a hissy-fit.

:D

BTW, in English, "that", as you used in your last sentence, refers to things, meaning, inamimate objects.
But "those", which is the subject of your sentence, before the predicate, refers to animate objects, like people. So, you need the word "who", not "that".

Just a friendly hint, nothing more. Englische Grammatik hat auch ihre Macken und Tücken, weißt Du...
The that is commonly used for people, as well.
However, your post is a good example for what I mean. You just need to mention, what "tolerance" actually is, namely the prioritization of certain groups right´s over other´s rights that does not comply with the law, and terms like "Nazi", "Racist" are hailing down on you.

Last edited:
I'm still tickled that people will be offended by what someone else does that does not effect them in any way shape or form. If you are at a point in your life to where a gay wedding is going to upset you, you likely need a hobby or need to get a life.

Forum List

Back