To Hell With 3000 Texting Deaths a Year

Some of you people crack me up.

Kids every stop sign is NOT a personal affront to your individual rights.

Do grow up.

Nobody is saying that,the growing up should be the realization that law on top of law will do nothing.

As a bicyclist those things can be scary, but when a car passes and they are smoking pot....

I am not a horn beeper but a few weeks ago I am driving behind a van with a handicap licence, and the darn thing keeps slowing down and moving back and forth on the road. The driver is texting, picture this, a van with handicapped children and the driver is texting constantly. I beeped a hundred times and she looked at me like I was the crazy one. I've often thought someone should start a web site and then ask for pictures of people texting along with their license plate in picture too.

Freind of my wife, a mother with an infant in the car, was speaking to her husband on her cell when she had her FATAL accident.

She got to say goodbye to her husband.

Lucky him, huh?

A widower now facing raising an infant without a mother.

Man, that's a horrible story, sorry to hear about that.

People don't realize how distracted cell driving is. At best it reduces your ability to react to other drivers who make mistakes - and at worst it makes you a drunk driver.

I think the key difference between a cell conversation and a conversation with someone in the car is that the person in the car is in the car - they are part of the situation, part of your experience of being in the car and driving. The person on the phone isn't in the car - so when you talk to them, your head is elsewhere. This is why hands-free isn't really any safer. But a radio is safe - because its passive. It doesn't demand that you respond to it.

When I'm talking to someone in the car while I'm driving, if my talking slows down or cuts off because the traffic situation requires more of my attention, that's OK because the passenger is also at least partially aware of the traffic situation. If my talking becomes weird on the phone, however - say, with my boss - my boss, who isn't in the car and aware of the traffic, won't know why I've suddenly stopped talking or slowed down my talking - so I feel a social obligation to try to continue the conversation as if there were no traffic.

Freind of my wife, a mother with an infant in the car, was speaking to her husband on her cell when she had her FATAL accident.

Lucky him, huh?

Tragic

My oldest daughters good friend in high school was killed on his way to play in that years homecoming football game,he was one of the stars of the team.The young girl that caused the wreak was swatting at a bee and hit them head on

Life is hard real hard at times and the list of tragic events goes on and on.

redundant laws,do nothing ,we let this slip by,the next will be just talking to a passenger,or eating some fries.

Nose rings for all??!!!

Is there any scientific evidence that talking to passengers significantly reduces ones ability to drive safely? Because I've never heard of such a study.

As far as eating while driving, I wouldn't be surprised if there were studies that showed that was bad, too. But I'd hazard a guess it isn't as bad as a cell phone - if you suddenly stop eating your cheeseburger - it won't care.

Really though, when you are driving, you should really just only be driving. I forget where I learned this - but the cars in europe tend to not have cupholders - because europeans like to do only one thing while they drive - drive. It makes sense.

Lucky him, huh?

Tragic

My oldest daughters good friend in high school was killed on his way to play in that years homecoming football game,he was one of the stars of the team.The young girl that caused the wreak was swatting at a bee and hit them head on

redundant laws,do nothing ,we let this slip by,the next will be just talking to a passenger,or eating some fries.

Nose rings for all??!!!

Is there any scientific evidence that talking to passengers significantly reduces ones ability to drive safely? Because I've never heard of such a study.

As far as eating while driving, I wouldn't be surprised if there were studies that showed that was bad, too. But I'd hazard a guess it isn't as bad as a cell phone - if you suddenly stop eating your cheeseburger - it won't care.

Really though, when you are driving, you should really just only be driving. I forget where I learned this - but the cars in europe tend to not have cupholders - because europeans like to do only one thing while they drive - drive. It makes sense.

Annual deaths from drunk driving is around 10,000. If its 3,000 from cell phones - that's pretty bad.

YET ANOTHER NEW LAW

This is stupid... just how on earth are they going to enforce this...?

Suppose I stop in parking lot and send a text.

Then pull out onto the road and immediately get into an accident.... now what???

The authorities have the right to subpoena my cell phone records, and what will they see?? They will see that at 'the approximate' time of the accident there was cell phone activity.... now what???

Im sick of BIG BROTHER looking over my shoulder.

Reckless driving is already illegal.... give me a break!
Just have your lawyer pinpoint your location at the rest stop where you made the call and countersue for defamation.

The modern world is a series of loops around the courts lately... just sayin' :eusa_whistle:

Lucky him, huh?

Tragic

Nose rings for all??!!!

Annual deaths from drunk driving is around 10,000. If its 3,000 from cell phones - that's pretty bad.

The study in question,did just that,it states that even hands free cell phone use should be banned,so tell me how that is any different than talking to the guy next to youin your car?

Iam not arguing that we need to pay attention when driving,I am on the road all the time,see people doing many stupid things,talking is not one of them generally. tailgating,no turn signals the list goes on,all are covered under the law,so is inattentive driving,we have alll the laws we need already on the books why do we need more,for that feel good knee jerk feelings?? It is not a far fetched idea that one will lead to another,and you won't be grabing that drink or having a smoke in the not so distant future.

Talking to someone, eating, listening to the radio can all be done with eyes on the road. Texting is more like reading a magazine. You do have to read the screen and watch what you are texting.

I need to tell Gracie my dick's hard

One thing for certain....there will be a permanent record of each and every transaction from each and every phone, Ipad, Iphone, laptop, gps, etc.

You are in an accident....your ass goes to jail.

3000 a year huh. Lets put a pencil to it shall we.

300 million people, and growing, in the US. We lost 3000 in a year. The percentage of the population we lost to cell phone accidents is .01%. Are we really busting our balls over .01% of the population?

In a nanny state.........yes. The government must save the citizens from themselves. I'm just curious, when will they outlaw cup holders in cars to stop people from drinking when they should be driving. Next, we can outlaw fast food drive thru windows. People shouldn't be chowing down on a Big Mac, supersized fries and a milkshake when they're buzzing down the highway at 70.

Oh but hey! Pizza is a vegetable for school lunches! :cuckoo:

The best fix for this problem would be to release all insurance companies from having to pay on claims where the cell phone was involved. Then allow consumers to sue each other over damages, for those of us in no fault states.

You never heard of that case!
I'm aghast.

Report: Metrolink Engineer Texting With Teen Moments Before Killer Commuter Crash | Fox News

Nick Williams, a teenage train enthusiast, told CBS2 in Los Angeles he exchanged three text messages with engineer Robert Sanchez Friday afternoon. Williams, who considered Sanchez a “mentor,” received the last text at 4:22 p.m., one minute before the train wreck, according to the ocregister.com report. Williams' claims have not been confirmed.

Read more: Report: Metrolink Engineer Texting With Teen Moments Before Killer Commuter Crash | Fox News

How would you like one of your kids to be on this school bus?

NTSB: Driver texted 11 times before deadly crash - CBS News

(CBS/AP) WASHINGTON - A 19-year-old pickup truck driver involved in a deadly highway pileup in Missouri last year sent or received 11 texts in the 11 minutes immediately before the accident, federal investigators said Tuesday.

The driver sent six texts and received five texts, with the last text just before his pickup crashed into the back of a tractor truck, beginning a chain collision. The pickup was rear-ended by a school bus, which in turn was rammed by a second school bus.

The pickup driver and a 15-year-old student on one of the school buses were killed. Thirty-eight other people were injured in the Aug. 5, 2010, accident near Gray Summit, Mo

When this kind of death and injury toll starts getting racked up, someone is going to pay attention.

Nothing in there about him walking away free, is there? Could that be because laws already cover what you are trying to make illegal?

Neither of the responsible parties walked away free. In both cases they were killed.

The ultimate cause of these horrific accidents isn't merely texting. It's the raging sense of entitlement that makes the personal act of texting a right no matter who it threatens. You can't pass laws against that. You can try to educate and train people to realize that they aren't the most important people in the universe but that's about all. That isn't going to happen either. Not for many years.

You know what I find most interesting about the accident you keep siting as proof we need to ban cell phones? The NTSB report clearly states that, although the guy was texting, ther is no proof he was texting at the time of the accident, and the tow bus drivers who crashed into him after he hit the semi were both tailgating, but neither of them was using a cell phone to talk or text.

Maybe you should go find a better example, if you can. While you do so I will point out that actual fatalities are at there lowest level since the 1950s despite the fact that people are supposedly texting and driving more than ever.

Talking to someone, eating, listening to the radio can all be done with eyes on the road. Texting is more like reading a magazine. You do have to read the screen and watch what you are texting.

I know half a dozen teenagers who can text with their phone in their pockets, want to try again?

I need to tell Gracie my dick's hard

One thing for certain....there will be a permanent record of each and every transaction from each and every phone, Ipad, Iphone, laptop, gps, etc.

You are in an accident....your ass goes to jail.

And just think of the idiot who does it. He can tell the doctor's and nurses at the E.R. he doesn't want their "Socialized Health Care".

Then he can tell the cops that, "Your damn right I was texting and I'll do it again".

Then he can his insurance that, "I don't care, I was texting and proud of it".

Then he can the judge, "Dammit, So What...I Will Text Again".

Then he can his prison guards "So the fuck what if people died, I wanted to text".

Forum List

Back