To Hell With 3000 Texting Deaths a Year

It was probably the 19 year old truck driver that sent 11 texts in 11 minutes and crashed into a school bus that pushed people over the edge.

A few years ago, a texting train engineer caused the train to crash and kill 25 people and injure 135. That wasn't enough. Start killing kids, you will get someone's attention.

It was probably the 19 year old truck driver that sent 11 texts in 11 minutes and crashed into a school bus that pushed people over the edge.

A few years ago, a texting train engineer caused the train to crash and kill 25 people and injure 135. That wasn't enough. Start killing kids, you will get someone's attention.

Please don't annoy them with details....."THEY CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH"

I need to tell Gracie my dick's hard

One thing for certain....there will be a permanent record of each and every transaction from each and every phone, Ipad, Iphone, laptop, gps, etc.

You are in an accident....your ass goes to jail.

3000 a year huh. Lets put a pencil to it shall we.

300 million people, and growing, in the US. We lost 3000 in a year. The percentage of the population we lost to cell phone accidents is .01%. Are we really busting our balls over .01% of the population?

In a nanny state.........yes. The government must save the citizens from themselves. I'm just curious, when will they outlaw cup holders in cars to stop people from drinking when they should be driving. Next, we can outlaw fast food drive thru windows. People shouldn't be chowing down on a Big Mac, supersized fries and a milkshake when they're buzzing down the highway at 70.

Last edited:

One thing for certain....there will be a permanent record of each and every transaction from each and every phone, Ipad, Iphone, laptop, gps, etc.

300 million people, and growing, in the US. We lost 3000 in a year. The percentage of the population we lost to cell phone accidents is .01%. Are we really busting our balls over .01% of the population?

In a nanny state.........yes. The government must save the citizens from themselves. I'm just curious, when will they outlaw cup holders in cars to stop people from drinking when they should be driving. Next, we can outlaw fast food drive thru windows. People shouldn't be chowing down on a Big Mac, supersized fries and a milkshake when they're buzzing down the highway at 70.

Like I told my 15 year old kids......hands on the wheel, eyes on the road.

Perhaps we are getting the nanny state because we act like children. What would cause someone to text while driving? Aside from a raging sense of entitlement that they have rights superior to the rights of others on the road. It's poor judgment. The same kind of poor judgment exercised by children all the time.

The freedom lovers might want to compare and equalize chowing down on that big mac to texting. Which you can well do while watching the road. They just can't escape the fact that there aren't the number of big mac deaths comparable to texting deaths.

When people start dying, other people are going to start paying attention. If people will not control themselves it will be done for them, sorry to say. I'd much rather see driver's acting like adults and conducting themselves responsibly making these intrusive laws unnecessary.

Perhaps we are getting the nanny state because we act like children. What would cause someone to text while driving? Aside from a raging sense of entitlement that they have rights superior to the rights of others on the road. It's poor judgment. The same kind of poor judgment exercised by children all the time.

The freedom lovers might want to compare and equalize chowing down on that big mac to texting. Which you can well do while watching the road. They just can't escape the fact that there aren't the number of big mac deaths comparable to texting deaths.

When people start dying, other people are going to start paying attention. If people will not control themselves it will be done for them, sorry to say. I'd much rather see driver's acting like adults and conducting themselves responsibly making these intrusive laws unnecessary.

All one has to do is study the statistics involving 17-19 year old drivers and they will immediately see how naive they are.

Are you trying to argue that, if a passenger is using a phone in a car and another car has its brakes fail that the guy using the phone should go to jail? Are you aware that, despite 10 years of study, the NTSB has no hard evidence that cell phones actually cause accidents? This can be proven using really simple math, so simple even you can understand it.

Despite the fact that we are driving more than in the past, traffic fatalities are at the lowest levels in decades despite the fact that more people have cell phones now than in the 1960s. (In fact, I am pretty sure no one had cell phones back then.)

I would also point out that the NTSB's own numbers say that conversations with passengers has killed more people than conversations on phones and texting combined. If we are really worried about saving lives why don't we ban conversations in cars completely? In any accident where there is a passenger we should assume that the driver was talking to them, lock them up, and throw away the key.

What are you talking about? 3000 deaths was enough to start 2 wars, pass the most egregious violation of civil rights in history, and create an agency whose sole purpose is to annoy innocent people who want to fly home for the holidays.

You have completely loss your sense of perspective. :eusa_whistle:

If states want to ban cell phone use in the car that's their right to do so. A federal ban, however, would be unconstitutional. In any case, there already laws against reckless driving in all 50 states, so I'm not sure why another law needs to be passed to address one specific instance of it.

Do you feel the same about seat belts

In 1965 when I bought a new Cheverolet I took a blade and cut the seat belts completely out of the car. It was my first exposure to such an idea. Now I'm uncomfortable unless I'm buckled up.

My car does not move without seat belts, but that does not mean I need some idiot politician telling me to buckle up. Until you provide some hard data that proves that cell phones are more dangerous than talking to a passenger, which is going to be impossible since the numbers show exactly the opposite, I am going to continue to mock you for wanting to ban them.

Cell phone use, texting especially, while driving is stupid and dangerous.

Now I wouldn't care all that much except that those stupid and dangerous people put the rest of us in danger.

This is a good example where INDIVIDUAL FREEDOM rightfully takes a back seat to PUBLIC SAFETY

My guess is tuning the radio using the touch screen in a new car is more distracting than using a Bluetooth headset, why don't we ban those too? Not to mention passengers, which cause roughly twice as many distraction related fatalities as all use of cell phones, we should force everyone to drive in their own car, even babies in booster seats.

Or we could simply admit that worrying about getting struck by lightning makes more sense than worrying about someone using a phone in a car and get on with our lives.

This is another facet of the entitlement culture. There is a right to text while driving. You're entitled. Freedom of speech,

A lack of personal responsibility doesn't stop at the welfare office door.

Believe it or not, there are laws that actually cover reckless driving that have existed since the first car accident. They even cover things like playing with a dog in the backseat of a car, something I think is a lot more dangerous than that guy with a Bluetooth headset that is talking to his boss.

Pretty sure that guy went to jail. despite the fact that texting and driving was not illegal at that time. Can you explain how that happened?

Pretty sure that guy went to jail. despite the fact that texting and driving was not illegal at that time. Can you explain how that happened?

You never heard of that case!
I'm aghast.

Report: Metrolink Engineer Texting With Teen Moments Before Killer Commuter Crash | Fox News

Nick Williams, a teenage train enthusiast, told CBS2 in Los Angeles he exchanged three text messages with engineer Robert Sanchez Friday afternoon. Williams, who considered Sanchez a “mentor,” received the last text at 4:22 p.m., one minute before the train wreck, according to the ocregister.com report. Williams' claims have not been confirmed.

Read more: Report: Metrolink Engineer Texting With Teen Moments Before Killer Commuter Crash | Fox News

How would you like one of your kids to be on this school bus?

NTSB: Driver texted 11 times before deadly crash - CBS News

(CBS/AP) WASHINGTON - A 19-year-old pickup truck driver involved in a deadly highway pileup in Missouri last year sent or received 11 texts in the 11 minutes immediately before the accident, federal investigators said Tuesday.

The driver sent six texts and received five texts, with the last text just before his pickup crashed into the back of a tractor truck, beginning a chain collision. The pickup was rear-ended by a school bus, which in turn was rammed by a second school bus.

The pickup driver and a 15-year-old student on one of the school buses were killed. Thirty-eight other people were injured in the Aug. 5, 2010, accident near Gray Summit, Mo

When this kind of death and injury toll starts getting racked up, someone is going to pay attention.

I'm aghast.

Report: Metrolink Engineer Texting With Teen Moments Before Killer Commuter Crash | Fox News

Nick Williams, a teenage train enthusiast, told CBS2 in Los Angeles he exchanged three text messages with engineer Robert Sanchez Friday afternoon. Williams, who considered Sanchez a “mentor,” received the last text at 4:22 p.m., one minute before the train wreck, according to the ocregister.com report. Williams' claims have not been confirmed.

Read more: Report: Metrolink Engineer Texting With Teen Moments Before Killer Commuter Crash | Fox News

(CBS/AP) WASHINGTON - A 19-year-old pickup truck driver involved in a deadly highway pileup in Missouri last year sent or received 11 texts in the 11 minutes immediately before the accident, federal investigators said Tuesday.

The driver sent six texts and received five texts, with the last text just before his pickup crashed into the back of a tractor truck, beginning a chain collision. The pickup was rear-ended by a school bus, which in turn was rammed by a second school bus.

The pickup driver and a 15-year-old student on one of the school buses were killed. Thirty-eight other people were injured in the Aug. 5, 2010, accident near Gray Summit, Mo

When this kind of death and injury toll starts getting racked up, someone is going to pay attention.

Nothing in there about him walking away free, is there? Could that be because laws already cover what you are trying to make illegal?

Didn't we invade Afghanistan over 3000 dead people?

If states want to ban cell phone use in the car that's their right to do so. A federal ban, however, would be unconstitutional. In any case, there already laws against reckless driving in all 50 states, so I'm not sure why another law needs to be passed to address one specific instance of it.

On the other hand ... its perfectly Constitutional for Congress to deny highway funds to any state which refuses to implement the ban.

Freind of my wife, a mother with an infant in the car, was speaking to her husband on her cell when she had her FATAL accident.

She got to say goodbye to her husband.

Lucky him, huh?

A widower now facing raising an infant without a mother.

Freind of my wife, a mother with an infant in the car, was speaking to her husband on her cell when she had her FATAL accident.

She got to say goodbye to her husband.

Lucky him, huh?

A widower now facing raising an infant without a mother.

Tragic

My oldest daughters good friend in high school was killed on his way to play in that years homecoming football game,he was one of the stars of the team.The young girl that caused the wreak was swatting at a bee and hit them head on

Life is hard real hard at times and the list of tragic events goes on and on.

redundant laws,do nothing ,we let this slip by,the next will be just talking to a passenger,or eating some fries.

Nose rings for all??!!!

I'm aghast.

Nothing in there about him walking away free, is there? Could that be because laws already cover what you are trying to make illegal?

Neither of the responsible parties walked away free. In both cases they were killed.

The ultimate cause of these horrific accidents isn't merely texting. It's the raging sense of entitlement that makes the personal act of texting a right no matter who it threatens. You can't pass laws against that. You can try to educate and train people to realize that they aren't the most important people in the universe but that's about all. That isn't going to happen either. Not for many years.

Some of you people crack me up.

Kids every stop sign is NOT a personal affront to your individual rights.

Do grow up.

Forum List

Back