TN oks guns on campuses

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
Bill allowing guns on Tennessee campuses becomes law
Educators and other full-time staffers at Tennessee's public state universities and colleges will soon be able to carry handguns on campus after Governor Bill Haslam allowed a bill to become law on Monday without his signature.
The bill that the Republican governor allowed to become law had little opposition in both houses, easily passing 69-24 in the House and 28-5 in the Senate last month. The law will go into effect on July 1.
The law, which affects 50 state institutions, was opposed by both the State Board of Regents and the University of Tennessee system.
Gun control on college campuses is a growing focus in the national debate over access to guns.
Including Tennessee, 10 states now allow guns on campus, although the Tennessee and Arkansas laws allow only faculty and staff to carry handguns, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures, which tracks policies in all 50 states.
In Georgia, Governor Nathan Deal, a Republican, is expected on Tuesday to either sign or veto a measure that would allow licensed gun owners ages 21 and over to carry concealed handguns on the campuses of public colleges and universities in that state.
On Aug. 1, 2016, a so-called campus carry law takes effect in Texas, allowing people 21 and older with a concealed handgun license to carry handguns in classrooms and buildings throughout the University of Texas system.
In Tennessee, anyone carrying a gun under the new law must have a permit and notify local police or campus security, whichever has responsibility for law enforcement on campus. Students are not allowed to carry handguns on campus.
-----------------

I don't disagree with this a bit :thup:

Bill allowing guns on Tennessee campuses becomes law
Educators and other full-time staffers at Tennessee's public state universities and colleges will soon be able to carry handguns on campus after Governor Bill Haslam allowed a bill to become law on Monday without his signature.
The bill that the Republican governor allowed to become law had little opposition in both houses, easily passing 69-24 in the House and 28-5 in the Senate last month. The law will go into effect on July 1.
The law, which affects 50 state institutions, was opposed by both the State Board of Regents and the University of Tennessee system.
Gun control on college campuses is a growing focus in the national debate over access to guns.
Including Tennessee, 10 states now allow guns on campus, although the Tennessee and Arkansas laws allow only faculty and staff to carry handguns, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures, which tracks policies in all 50 states.
In Georgia, Governor Nathan Deal, a Republican, is expected on Tuesday to either sign or veto a measure that would allow licensed gun owners ages 21 and over to carry concealed handguns on the campuses of public colleges and universities in that state.
On Aug. 1, 2016, a so-called campus carry law takes effect in Texas, allowing people 21 and older with a concealed handgun license to carry handguns in classrooms and buildings throughout the University of Texas system.
In Tennessee, anyone carrying a gun under the new law must have a permit and notify local police or campus security, whichever has responsibility for law enforcement on campus. Students are not allowed to carry handguns on campus.
-----------------

I don't disagree with this a bit :thup:

Well this is just horrible. Now all the murderers are going to go to the colleges to do their muderin'. You got to make it illegal. Tell the murderers that they're not allowed to have guns, and they won't be able to do any murderin' because they won't want to break the law.

They are also talking about giving students guns? Can you think of a bigger mass of insane jack asses other than a college campus?

They are also talking about giving students guns? Can you think of a bigger mass of insane jack asses other than a college campus?
13076545_1018808571502298_4721719228226658382_n.jpg

A licensed, properly trained staff member at a local elementary school has a gun locked in her room and I'm guessing it's not the only school that has a staff member ready to respond if necessary. It's not that she's afraid of parents or students, it's in case of a Newtown. Different states have different laws, and I don't really like the thought of armed security guards walking around a school with a big old gun, but I think it's a sensible solution. In a high school in a high crime area, the idea might backfire (no pun intended).

Mmmm ... the OP stated students are NOT allowed to carry on campus ... it was bolded.

The second part talked about George's law the making I would let students have guns.

Mmmm ... the OP stated students are NOT allowed to carry on campus ... it was bolded.

The second part talked about George's law the making I would let students have guns.

Say What?

"In Georgia, Governor Nathan Deal, a Republican, is expected on Tuesday to either sign or veto a measure that would allow licensed gun owners ages 21 and over to carry concealed handguns on the campuses of public colleges and universities in that state."

Where does it say anything about giving students guns?

Say What?

"In Georgia, Governor Nathan Deal, a Republican, is expected on Tuesday to either sign or veto a measure that would allow licensed gun owners ages 21 and over to carry concealed handguns on the campuses of public colleges and universities in that state."

Many students are over 21, and have licenses.

Say What?

Has nothing to do with your previous post.

Say What?

Sure it does . I'd be freaked over crazy ass students packing heat . The GA laws doesn't say guns are limited to staff . Meaning students could carry too.

Say What?

Sure it does . I'd be freaked over crazy ass students packing heat . The GA laws doesn't say guns are limited to staff . Meaning students could carry too.

YOUR previous post was about giving students free guns.

and yes, students, over the age of 21, would be able to carry.

Forum List

Back