Time travel

I thought time was just an object created by humans to suit their need for a structual life style.

But whose to say that everything that happens just goes away. What if there isn't a past? And what if there isn't a future? I think that future and the past are just things created by humans.

I thought time was just an object created by humans to suit their need for a structual life style.

But whose to say that everything that happens just goes away. What if there isn't a past? And what if there isn't a future? I think that future and the past are just things created by humans.

Time is created by humans????

Timex is created by humans.

No, by plastic surgeons trying to turn it back! :lol:

Timex is created by humans.

Amazing how they take a lickin' and keep on tickin':razz:

and its an object....

Yes...name one other species that has any sense of what time is? TIme is just an object that isn't even real.

Yes...name one other species that has any sense of what time is? TIme is just an object that isn't even real.

It's an object that is not real. Yeah, OK. :cuckoo:

One of the best novels I've read is the out of print novel "The End of Eternity" By Isaac Asimov. To me, bove all plausiibility is criticality one in a time travel novel. Asimov's novel written in 1955, hasn't yet been made into a movie, and even if it is I'm not sure I'd bother seeing it, because everything made into film is factored to the largest audience possible. On the other hand an author like Asimov, a scientist as wel as being a noted science fiction author will write for the genre. Asimov is accused of playing fast and loose with romance in this book but his main purpose was to move the story along rather than spending a lot of time in the emotional process.

It is is being considered again to be made into a feature film by New Regency. Previously it was a project at Paramount with Ridley Scott as director and Tom Cruise in the lead role, but it never got off the ground.

The End Of Eternity
"The story focuses on an all-male organisation and place called Eternity to which scientists (who then become known as Eternals) are recruited to travel back and forth through time subtly altering events to create the maximum impact on improving the world.

The main character, Andrew Harlan, must send another Eternal called Cooper back in time with the mathematical knowledge to make the creation of Eternity and time travel possible.

Harlan breaks the rules by becoming involved with a woman from another time and when confronted over this, he maliciously strands Cooper in the wrong period - which would mean Harlan's own reality and Eternity itself will be erased from existence. Harlan comes to his senses and realises he must try to rescue Cooper, and later learns a terrible truth about Eternity and its effects on human existence."

Is time travel possible?

Yes.

Happens every time you read a book or see a movie. For a really good explaination, read the book "Illusions" by Richard Bach.

Then, go read "Jonathan Livingston Seagull".

Yes, just because your inferior brain cannot comprehend the fact that time is just something that exists in our minds doesn't mean it is real.

Just to give me a laugh. Give me a definition of time. And not the dictionary's version. Make-up your own.

Yes, just because your inferior brain cannot comprehend the fact that time is just something that exists in our minds doesn't mean it is real.

Just to give me a laugh. Give me a definition of time. And not the dictionary's version. Make-up your own.

Hard to define but I know it is NOT "an object that is not real".

Time is real, and it's quantifiable. It is at most a dimension of existence, all matter travels through it and leaves a trail, time itself leaves an imprint on matter which we are slowly beginning to understand how to read. The measurement of time is what is not real, but no less or more than the measurement of distance or weight or energy ... measurement is arbitrary and subjective. Also, the theory that some matter travels in reverse through time is not true either, it's based on the fact that instead of degrading like most matter, it builds up, but the directionality of travel is constant, even the speed.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntm1YfehK7U]YouTube - Time - Pink Floyd[/ame]

As for the thread topic- I've heard and read several physicists that say to avoid creating paradoxical situations, that if a time machine were to be invented, it could travel to the future, but most likely not be able to travel to any point in the past beyond the moment of its creation. Otherwise some disturbance of the past could create a situation in which the machine would not be invented, thus nullifying the disturbance, thus allowing the machine to be invented, etc.... a paradox loop.

I know what you're trying to say here, and I had the same "I wonder" thoughts when I was young. But time is a something- a dimension of reality. It's hard to define much more clearly than that, just like length and width are dimensions but are difficult to define other than say they are dimensions. And you can't just use distance as a definition for length or width, since time and space are united as spacetime and therefore "distance" is a definition for time as well.

The easiest proof that it is not just subjective to human experience is that experiments based on Einstein's relativity theories have shown that it is possible to slow or speed up time. So time is not some absolute "big tick" that only exists in the perceptions of people, or there would be no measurable difference in time created by the experiment. Since the experiment yielded results than indicated that time did vary, then it confirms the theoretical possibility that I can have a different "time experience" than you. In other words, I could experience a week of time while you experience 50 years of time. One twin could physically age a year while the other physically aged 20 years. These results would not be possible if time was just an artificial construct in the human mind.

Not a bad thought though. Even if thinking leads to wrong conclusions, at least it's thinking. After all, Einstein showed that even Newton was wrong. :)

YouTube - Time - Pink Floyd

You can't throw Floyd into this sort of conversation. I'm getting a headache from my mind expanding... who needs drugs when you have Pink Floyd and phyisics...

:lol:

Time Travel. It's a cornucopia of disturbing concepts.

Think of this; you go back in time and cause your own demise. You upset the timeline in such a way that you no longer exist. Poof you are gone. But now that you are gone in the future, you can no longer go back in time to upset the timeline. So do you magically reappear?

As for the thread topic- I've heard and read several physicists that say to avoid creating paradoxical situations, that if a time machine were to be invented, it could travel to the future, but most likely not be able to travel to any point in the past beyond the moment of its creation. Otherwise some disturbance of the past could create a situation in which the machine would not be invented, thus nullifying the disturbance, thus allowing the machine to be invented, etc.... a paradox loop.

I know what you're trying to say here, and I had the same "I wonder" thoughts when I was young. But time is a something- a dimension of reality. It's hard to define much more clearly than that, just like length and width are dimensions but are difficult to define other than say they are dimensions. And you can't just use distance as a definition for length or width, since time and space are united as spacetime and therefore "distance" is a definition for time as well.

The easiest proof that it is not just subjective to human experience is that experiments based on Einstein's relativity theories have shown that it is possible to slow or speed up time. So time is not some absolute "big tick" that only exists in the perceptions of people, or there would be no measurable difference in time created by the experiment. Since the experiment yielded results than indicated that time did vary, then it confirms the theoretical possibility that I can have a different "time experience" than you. In other words, I could experience a week of time while you experience 50 years of time. One twin could physically age a year while the other physically aged 20 years. These results would not be possible if time was just an artificial construct in the human mind.

Not a bad thought though. Even if thinking leads to wrong conclusions, at least it's thinking. After all, Einstein showed that even Newton was wrong. :)

I understand what you are talking about. The "theory" of relavistic time travel. But, that's not what other people were thinking of time as.

The "time" they were talking about is seconds, minutes, hours, weeks, etc. Those are "measurements" of time.

But there is no such thing as the past or future. It's impossible to show the past in anyway, shape, or form. Even a recording of something that happened at an earlier date was a present video when taken. And there is no future because everything a person does constantly changes the outcome of the "future".

But, because almost everyone in the world keeps track of "time" it's impossible to not believe in it. Everything in society is based off preparation for the future. Why do we go to school? To get a good job in the "future"
Why do we practice for anything? To prepare for an upcoming event or game.
Why do we have training before we get a new job? So we can achieve a certain standard in the future.

I also understand how the statement "time is an object that isn't real" doesn't make sense. Because it doesn't make sense. How could an object not be real? Well let me try to put it into a new perspective. Time is just a thought that humans have become accustom to. Like I said in a previous post. It helps the human mind go about life with structure.

Forum List

Back