It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
People of a certain age will remember this film, I remember watching it for the first time in the 70's and it remains one of the most memorable movies I've ever seen. This was back during the golden age of Hollywood, when actors were not musicians, bodybuilders or athletes, they were actual actors.

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World is a 1963 American epic comedy film produced and directed by Stanley Kramer with a story and screenplay by William Rose and Tania Rose. The film, starring Spencer Tracy with an all-star cast of comedians, is about the madcap pursuit of a suitcase full of stolen cash by a colorful group of strangers. It premiered on November 7, 1963. The principal cast features Edie Adams, Milton Berle, Sid Caesar, Buddy Hackett, Ethel Merman, Dorothy Provine, Mickey Rooney, Dick Shawn, Phil Silvers, Terry-Thomas, and Jonathan Winters.

The film marked the first time Kramer directed a comedy, though he had produced the comedy So This Is New York in 1948. He is best known for producing and directing, in his own words, "heavy drama" about social problems, such as The Defiant Ones, Inherit the Wind, Judgment at Nuremberg, and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. His first attempt at directing a comedy film paid off immensely as It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World became a critical and commercial success and was nominated for six Academy Awards, winning for Best Sound Editing, and two Golden Globe Awards.

Against Kramer's wishes, the film was cut by its distributor United Artists to reduce the film's running time to 161 minutes for its general release. On October 15, 2013, it was announced that the Criterion Collection had collaborated with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, United Artists, and film restoration expert Robert A. Harris to reconstruct and restore It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World to be as close as possible to the original 202-minute version envisioned by Kramer. It was released in a five-disc "Dual Format" Blu-ray/DVDC ombo Pack on January 21, 2014.

Link to story

Last edited:
People of a certain age will remember this film, I remember watching it for the first time in the 70's

I remember going to see it when the movie actually came out around 1963?

It was in a big theater on a huge curved screen in super panavision and the scene was so wide, you had to turn your head to see what was going on on one side or the other, you couldn't take it all in at once. It was almost like the action was going on all around you.

Very popular at the time

I don’t think the comedy has aged well

Very popular at the time
I don’t think the comedy has aged well

Seriously? It is still one of the funniest movies of all time, then or now.

The only sad part is the park they went to at the end under the big W where they find the treasure is gone now, replaced by a golf course I think. But I think one or two of the original palm trees that made up the W is still there. The rest were lost in a storm.

1700077419069.png

One piece of trivia about the movie.

In 1970 it was re-released. Ron Howard took Cheryl Alley there for a first date. Ron & Cheryl have been married for 48 years.

People of a certain age will remember this film, I remember watching it for the first time in the 70's and it remains one of the most memorable movies I've ever seen. This was back during the golden age of Hollywood, when actors were not musicians, bodybuilders or musicians, they were actual actors.

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World is a 1963 American epic comedy film produced and directed by Stanley Kramer with a story and screenplay by William Rose and Tania Rose. The film, starring Spencer Tracy with an all-star cast of comedians, is about the madcap pursuit of a suitcase full of stolen cash by a colorful group of strangers. It premiered on November 7, 1963. The principal cast features Edie Adams, Milton Berle, Sid Caesar, Buddy Hackett, Ethel Merman, Dorothy Provine, Mickey Rooney, Dick Shawn, Phil Silvers, Terry-Thomas, and Jonathan Winters.

The film marked the first time Kramer directed a comedy, though he had produced the comedy So This Is New York in 1948. He is best known for producing and directing, in his own words, "heavy drama" about social problems, such as The Defiant Ones, Inherit the Wind, Judgment at Nuremberg, and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. His first attempt at directing a comedy film paid off immensely as It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World became a critical and commercial success and was nominated for six Academy Awards, winning for Best Sound Editing, and two Golden Globe Awards.

Against Kramer's wishes, the film was cut by its distributor United Artists to reduce the film's running time to 161 minutes for its general release. On October 15, 2013, it was announced that the Criterion Collection had collaborated with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, United Artists, and film restoration expert Robert A. Harris to reconstruct and restore It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World to be as close as possible to the original 202-minute version envisioned by Kramer. It was released in a five-disc "Dual Format" Blu-ray/DVDC ombo Pack on January 21, 2014.

Link to story
Remember seeing it as a kid and thinking it was a great movie. i am significantly older now and have not seen it since. If I were to see it again I think my impression would certainly be different, so I won't.

Remember seeing it as a kid and thinking it was a great movie. i am significantly older now and have not seen it since. If I were to see it again I think my impression would certainly be different, so I won't.

Shame, I watch it every chance I get, if it is on TV. It just gets better the more you watch it. Pure cinema magic. It puts into contrast just how crappy movies are now. I even have it on laserdisc in full original theaterical; aspect ratio.

I remember going to see it when the movie actually came out around 1963?

It was in a big theater on a huge curved screen in super panavision and the scene was so wide, you had to turn your head to see what was going on on one side or the other, you couldn't take it all in at once. It was almost like the action was going on all around you.
That must have been so enjoyable. I watched it on a color TV with rabbit ears and commercial break and was glued to the screen, laughing more than I ever had at a movie.

Seriously? It is still one of the funniest movies of all time, then or now.

The only sad part is the park they went to at the end under the big W where they find the treasure is gone now, replaced by a golf course I think. But I think one or two of the original palm trees that made up the W is still there. The rest were lost in a storm.
Relies too heavily on slapstick
Many of the comedians just aren’t that funny anymore

Jonathan Winters was great though

That must have been so enjoyable. I watched it on a color TV with rabbit ears and commercial break and was glued to the screen, laughing more than I ever had at a movie.

Back then, theaters were huge, seated 500-800 people at least or more, and the screen was behind a stage (they had stage shows when movies weren't playing and the screen must have been 50 feet wide with a deep curve in it. Took a special projector. But the curve made the action appear as if it were all around you.

People of a certain age will remember this film, I remember watching it for the first time in the 70's and it remains one of the most memorable movies I've ever seen. This was back during the golden age of Hollywood, when actors were not musicians, bodybuilders or athletes, they were actual actors.

Link to story
Just sailed right out there!

Forum List

Back