The REAL "Worst Director"of all time

fncceo

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2016
If you ask any assembly of film fans, "Who is the worst professional film director of all time?", the largest share of votes would go to Ed Wood Jr. Wood, the "creative" hand behind such classics as "Glen or Glenda", "Plan 9 From Outer Space", and "Bride of The Monster" is an incredibly bad director. Wood movies have terrible, cringeworthy dialogue, cheesy acting, and some of the most unconvincing special effects in movie history.

However, as bad as Wood's films are ... the is Steven "freaking" Spielberg compared to one of his Hollywood contemporaries, Coleman Francis. Francis is best know for his three films, "Beast of Yucca Flats, "Skydivers". and "Red Zone Cuba".

While Wood's movies are unintentionally funny from their pure amateurishness, Francis' movies are the kind of thing they could use to torture political prisoners. They have no continuity because they have not plot to continue. To say the acting is wooden would be an understatement because trees, given enough force, can actually move. The dialogue is like reading stereo instructions translated from Klingon when you can actually hear it ... which, thankfully, you often can't because of terrible recording technique.

I would recommend watching one of his films to see just how bad they are, but I could never live with myself if I ever exposed a fellow carbon-based life form to such heinous torture.

main-qimg-444fcf9bb6f6e6549ca7d7766556c2d6-lq.jpeg

As far as Directors go? The "Night of the Living Dead", "Dawn of the Dead", and "Day of the Dead" guy.

In one the mall scenes, one of the cameramen is in there just a rollin'. And they left it in there. :uhoh3:

You can see feet and arms and booms and all kinds of stuff.

Idk, I just watched the worst movie ever.

It's called "Coffin Full of Dollars", and it is terribad.

As far as Directors go? The "Night of the Living Dead", "Dawn of the Dead", and "Day of the Dead" guy.

George Romero, the created of an entire genre of "zombie movies" isn't a bad director, but his films did get progressively worse ... although ... "Land of the Dead" made 37-years after "Night of the Living Dead"is arguably the best film he made in the genre.

His stories are original, the dialogue acceptable, and his film techniques are often copied by more mainstream directors.

They are definitely low-budged B-films, but they aren't bad films.

George Romero, the created of an entire genre of "zombie movies" isn't a bad director, but his films did get progressively worse ... although ... "Land of the Dead" made 37-years after "Night of the Living Dead"is arguably the best film he made in the genre.

His stories are original, the dialogue acceptable, and his film techniques are often copied by more mainstream directors.

They are definitely low-budged B-films, but they aren't bad films.
If you want to see bad, that "Coffin full of Dollars" is so bad, it's not even funny.

Sergio Leone it is not.

If you want to see bad, that "Coffin full of Dollars" is so bad, it's not even funny.

Sergio Leone it is not.

If more than 30% of it is actually in focus, it's still better than Coleman Francis.

Worst directed picture was George Axelrod's 1968 production of "Lord Love A Duck" with leads Roddy McDowell and Tuesday Weld. The most memorable faux pas was the microphone hanging from the boom directly in the scene, boom and cable and microphone. That makes Tuesday's winning of a major Berlin acting award all the more amazing.

You kind of show your ignorance of Hollywood by pointing at easy target Ed Wood. There are a thousand crappy movies out there but nobody cares about the director.

Last edited:
Jesse Hibbs - Joe Butterfly
was a hit in Japan and I am not sure why. The Direction among other things made it mostly unwatchable. Fine talented actors did their best but the way the story unfolded their entering and leaving scenes and their interaction in those scenes seemed amature. It shows up on late late shows sometimes and I still wonder why Audie Murphy's character was even put in the movie. It was a comedy but I didn't find it funny at all.

If you ask any assembly of film fans, "Who is the worst professional film director of all time?", the largest share of votes would go to Ed Wood Jr. Wood, the "creative" hand behind such classics as "Glen or Glenda", "Plan 9 From Outer Space", and "Bride of The Monster" is an incredibly bad director. Wood movies have terrible, cringeworthy dialogue, cheesy acting, and some of the most unconvincing special effects in movie history.

However, as bad as Wood's films are ... the is Steven "freaking" Spielberg compared to one of his Hollywood contemporaries, Coleman Francis. Francis is best know for his three films, "Beast of Yucca Flats, "Skydivers". and "Red Zone Cuba".

While Wood's movies are unintentionally funny from their pure amateurishness, Francis' movies are the kind of thing they could use to torture political prisoners. They have no continuity because they have not plot to continue. To say the acting is wooden would be an understatement because trees, given enough force, can actually move. The dialogue is like reading stereo instructions translated from Klingon when you can actually hear it ... which, thankfully, you often can't because of terrible recording technique.

I would recommend watching one of his films to see just how bad they are, but I could never live with myself if I ever exposed a fellow carbon-based life form to such heinous torture.

View attachment 850498
All three got skewered by MST3K.

Nobody was a more prolific director of horrid movies than Bert I Gordon....

All three got skewered by MST3K.

Nobody was a more prolific director of horrid movies than Bert I Gordon....

I call them popcorn movies From The Rabbits to Grasshoppers his movies were fun to watch and were low budget but with them being shown so much on the late shows I am sure they made a lot of money. Part of the fun is noticing the cheap special effects such as'' giant grasshoppers'' crawling across a picture of a building. :) :auiqs.jpg:

View attachment 850498
I saw Plan 9 in the cinema back in the 80s with a load of drunken students. It was awful. Paper plates passing as space ships if I recall.
Still better than anything made by Tim Burton.

Woody Allen
Most of his films attempted to excuse and normalize his interest in very young girls, and much-much younger girls dating much-much older men. It was his fetish, and of course, had sex with and eventually married his own step daughter. (not legally his step daughter, but in every sense WAS his step daughter)
But liberals still love and defend him

In one the mall scenes, one of the cameramen is in there just a rollin'. And they left it in there. :uhoh3:

You can see feet and arms and booms and all kinds of stuff.

Idk, I just watched the worst movie ever.

It's called "Coffin Full of Dollars", and it is terribad.
For anyone interested in Ed Wood, I would recommend Tim Burton's movie with Johnny Depp. Depp gave a pretty accurate portray of Wood although the story is not completely factual.

Wood was not really a director. He was filmmaker which means he shot film of just about everything. He wrote about 80 pulp novels, most about sex and crime, made over a hundred TV commercial, wrote scripts for movies TV which rarely sold. Appeared in countless movies, mostly walkons and and uncredited roles. Despite the fact that he was never really successful at anything, he never considered himself a failure, although everyone else did.

He died an alcohol in total poverty at 54.

Reverend Steve Galindo, who is from Seminole, Oklahoma, established a religion with Ed Wood as its official savior in 1996. Although it was set up as a joke, it is a legally recognized faith now. At present, it has over 3500 baptized followers or Woodites.

For anyone interested in Ed Wood, I would recommend Tim Burton's movie with Johnny Depp. Depp gave a pretty accurate portray of Wood although the story is not completely factual.

Wood was not really a director. He was filmmaker which means he shot film of just about everything. He wrote about 80 pulp novels, most about sex and crime, made over a hundred TV commercial, wrote scripts for movies TV which rarely sold. Appeared in countless movies, mostly walkons and and uncredited roles. Despite the fact that he was never really successful at anything, he never considered himself a failure, although everyone else did.

He died an alcohol in total poverty at 54.

Reverend Steve Galindo, who is from Seminole, Oklahoma, established a religion with Ed Wood as its official savior in 1996. Although it was set up as a joke, it is a legally recognized faith now. At present, it has over 3500 baptized followers or Woodites.
And one of the earliest open cross dressers.
Openly cross dressing in the 1960s? You had to be crazy. Which he certainly was.

And one of the earliest open cross dressers.
Openly cross dressing in the 1960s? You had to be crazy. Which he certainly was.
I don't know if he was crazy but he was certainly unfit for life in American in the mid 20th century.

Unfairly tarred as the “worst director of all time,” Wood made no-budget films that were howlingly inept—full of continuity errors and garbled dialogue, flimsy sets and wooden acting. Yet they were totally his own creations which he was proud of.

The idea of making movies without the backing of major studies and investors, using unpaid actors, and scripts created on the fly was laughable. He made his first "commercial" films with an 8mm camera his father gave him. He had no training in acting or any phase of movie making. His equipment came from pawn shops and loans from friends, his studio was a back yard and a garage, and his sets were made by himself and friends. Although his works would never measure up to trained professionals, his efforts have inspired many up and coming armature film makers.

Forum List

Back