Time to re-think public restrooms and showers

Pop23

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2013
The barstool down yonder
Joe Preston Virginia politician supports separate bathrooms for gays.

If the core justification for bathroom segregation is to let both genders to void among people who could not be sexually attracted to them, then Preston’s proposal is perfectly logical. Gay men are attracted to other men; lesbians are attracted to other women. A lesbian using a women’s bathroom presumably presents the same threat that a man using a women’s bathroom does. If we, as a society, are really committed to maintaining bathroom segregation, we might as well take it to its logical conclusion. The current rules were invented long before homosexuality was openly acknowledged. Any honest update should either put gays in their own separate bathroom—or abolish this ridiculous segregation altogether.

Although I disagree with abolishing the segregation, the article makes a lot of sense. It neglects to bring in the need for segregated showers, but that's almost a slam dunk if you agree with the writer

Last edited:

If the core justification for bathroom segregation is to let both genders to void among people who could not be sexually attracted to them, then Preston’s proposal is perfectly logical. Gay men are attracted to other men; lesbians are attracted to other women. A lesbian using a women’s bathroom presumably presents the same threat that a man using a women’s bathroom does. If we, as a society, are really committed to maintaining bathroom segregation, we might as well take it to its logical conclusion. The current rules were invented long before homosexuality was openly acknowledged. Any honest update should either put gays in their own separate bathroom—or abolish this ridiculous segregation altogether. [/quote}

Although I disagree with abolishing the segregation, the article makes a lot of sense. It neglects to bring in the need for segregated showers, but that's almost a slam dunk if you agree with the writer

Why doesn't anyone ever say, "Public toilets are for pissing and shitting, not socializing. So what difference does it make who's in the stall next to you?" :)

If the core justification for bathroom segregation is to let both genders to void among people who could not be sexually attracted to them, then Preston’s proposal is perfectly logical. Gay men are attracted to other men; lesbians are attracted to other women. A lesbian using a women’s bathroom presumably presents the same threat that a man using a women’s bathroom does. If we, as a society, are really committed to maintaining bathroom segregation, we might as well take it to its logical conclusion. The current rules were invented long before homosexuality was openly acknowledged. Any honest update should either put gays in their own separate bathroom—or abolish this ridiculous segregation altogether. [/quote}

Why doesn't anyone ever say, "Public toilets are for pissing and shitting, not socializing. So what difference does it make who's in the stall next to you?" :)

I think I have a right to know if either a male or a lesbian is in the shower with my 14 year old daughter. If we allow the Lesbian, why not the Male? They are both attracted to females, Right? I want neither. Thanks

use the more private one stall bathrooms then.....simple as that...do not use the larger bathrooms....

does your daughter have this problem or are you projecting it on to her

Boy o boy, So how are you going to identify homosexuals? Tattoo a pink triangle?

Not my problem. Equality is a bitch.

A lesbian is just as attracted to a female as a hetro male. I want neither in a restroom with my 14 year old daughter.

Making people wear identifying marks was the trademark of the German Nazis in concentration camps. Do you actually stand here and subscribe to that?

Boy o boy, So how are you going to identify homosexuals? Tattoo a pink triangle?

A lesbian is just as attracted to a female as a hetro male. I want neither in a restroom with my 14 year old daughter.

Making people wear identifying marks was the trademark of the German Nazis in concentration camps. Do you actually stand here and subscribe to that?

That was your idea, not mine

i understand building codes...which do not require more than a unisex bathroom or two separate bathrooms...do you object to unisex bathrooms

If the core justification for bathroom segregation is to let both genders to void among people who could not be sexually attracted to them, then Preston’s proposal is perfectly logical. Gay men are attracted to other men; lesbians are attracted to other women. A lesbian using a women’s bathroom presumably presents the same threat that a man using a women’s bathroom does. If we, as a society, are really committed to maintaining bathroom segregation, we might as well take it to its logical conclusion. The current rules were invented long before homosexuality was openly acknowledged. Any honest update should either put gays in their own separate bathroom—or abolish this ridiculous segregation altogether.

Who knew it was such a problem? Anyone who has ever showered publicly has probably shared that space with homosexuals and didn't even know it.

That was your idea, not mine

No I asked if you subscribe to Nazi ideals when it comes to identifying people?

i understand building codes...which do not require more than a unisex bathroom or two separate bathrooms...do you object to unisex bathrooms

the unisex only restroom allowance is only applicable in certain municipalities, an then only if the business is on the small size an low customer / employee load. You knew that right?

Forum List

Back