Time To Break Apart The Mega-Banks?

Mega-Banks control the World. It's true. Look at the banks that received massive Government Bailouts. They were all giant Corporate Banks. Small banks were allowed to fail. These Mega-Banks were "Too Big to Fail" before and it's even worse now. The Government hasn't fixed anything with their massive Bailouts. They have only made things worse. We'll see this in the future.

repeal of Glass Steagal happened what 15 years ago? How did a regulatory change from 15 years ago result in a crisis today? Answer: It didnt. Nor did Glass Steagal prevent previous crises, like the S&L crisis or the Latin Debt crisis.

OK, using your kind of logic: Glass Steagal was reversed in the closing months of Clinton's presidency. 22 months later the dot com bubble collapsed.

Provisions that prohibit a bank holding company from owning other financial companies were repealed on November 12, 1999, by the Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act.

Glass?Steagall Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Coincidence? Not according to Rabbi!

repeal of Glass Steagal happened what 15 years ago? How did a regulatory change from 15 years ago result in a crisis today? Answer: It didnt. Nor did Glass Steagal prevent previous crises, like the S&L crisis or the Latin Debt crisis.

OK, using your kind of logic: Glass Steagal was reversed in the closing months of Clinton's presidency. 22 months later the dot com bubble collapsed.

Provisions that prohibit a bank holding company from owning other financial companies were repealed on November 12, 1999, by the Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act.

No, dumbshit. My point is that Glass-Steagall's repeal did not cause any financial problems. Nor did it's presence prevent any.

No, dumbshit. My point is that Glass-Steagall's repeal did not cause any financial problems. Nor did it's presence prevent any.

But it did cause financial problems according to your logic. 22 months after it's repeal the dot com bubble collapsed. Whereas it's presence did fend off a truly large recession for all of 70 years if you discount the 80's recession caused by abandoning the gold standard.

But it did cause financial problems according to your logic. 22 months after it's repeal the dot com bubble collapsed. Whereas it's presence did fend off a truly large recession for all of 70 years if you discount the 80's recession caused by abandoning the gold standard.

No, idiot. You still don't get it.
We had a truly large recession in 1973-74.
FAIL.

It's not the banks, it's their regulator.

I think it's a 50/50 split. The banks behaved badly, the regulators were too close to the banks... and the politicians were too close to the banks. Bedfellows - literally in one case.

In Britain, they are considering making the banks separate their businesses... having 'domestic banking' as separate entities from 'investment banking'. I think that has some merit - as it will protect the customers from the excessive risk-taking that banks enjoy.

The only thing that will actually protect anything is getting gov't out of the banking business. Do away with every gov't guarantee. As it is, banks figure if they screw up the gov't will pony up for depositor's money and will bail out their losses. That kind of thing only encourages risky behavior. Have banks get rated for safety like restaurants for cleanliness and let the public vote with their funds.

In Britain, they are considering making the banks separate their businesses... having 'domestic banking' as separate entities from 'investment banking'. I think that has some merit - as it will protect the customers from the excessive risk-taking that banks enjoy.

That is exactly what Glass-Steagal did.

FAIL.

I should argue that Glass-Steagal was never intended to prevent recessions, but to prevent excessive risk taking by banks (with depositors money). I should also argue that the 73 recession was also a direct result of our abandonment of the gold standard (the Saudis stopped accepting dollars for oil, demanding gold and then cutting us off causing a massive shock to our economy).

But why bother? Facts don't phase you and you aren't capable of realizing that the relaxation of critical firewalls between commercial and investment banking that were effected in 99 (Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act, rolling back the central plank of Glass-Steagal) did indeed cause this recent recession/credit crisis/deflationary trap/debt crisis.

You were wrong, you won't admit it. Oh well.

Last edited:
The only thing that will actually protect anything is getting gov't out of the banking business.

so you think that step one is to kill the Federal Reserve? Milton Friedman said the exact same thing:

“The Federal Reserve definitely caused the Great Depression by contracting the amount of money in circulation by one-third from 1929 to 1933.”

-- Milton Friedman

"...One unsolved economic problem of the day is how to get rid of the Federal Reserve..."

-- Milton Friedman

Anna Schwartz and I in our Monetary History were discussing the situation after the financial collapse of the 1930s. We said then and believed then, and I still do, that the Federal Reserve had failed to do what it was originally set up to do. It had permitted a collapse of the monetary system, it had permitted perfectly sound banks to fail by the thousands because of liquidity problems, although it had been set up in 1913 with the objective of preventing that kind of a situation. And we argued in the book that since the Fed had failed and showed no sign that it was not going to continue to fail in pursuing its function, something else was needed to perform the function for which it had originally been established and that the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation would serve that function. Interestingly enough, it did for some 40 years. From 1934 to the early '70s, there were very few bank failures. And there were essentially no runs on banks because of liquidity problems. So it did serve a useful function for 40 years. -- Milton Friedman

Friedman was in favor of abolishing the Federal Reserve System, but believed that if the money supply was to be centrally controlled that the preferable way to do it would be with a mechanical system that would keep the quantity of money increasing at a steady rate. However, instead of government involvement at all, he supported a "real," non-government, gold standard where money is produced by the private market: "A real gold standard is thoroughly consistent with [classical] liberal principles and I, for one, am entirely in favor of measures promoting its development."

Friedman once quipped that the Federal Reserve should be replaced with a computer.

The only thing that will actually protect anything is getting gov't out of the banking business.

so you think that step one is to kill the Federal Reserve? Milton Friedman said the exact same thing:

“The Federal Reserve definitely caused the Great Depression by contracting the amount of money in circulation by one-third from 1929 to 1933.”

-- Milton Friedman

Anna Schwartz and I in our Monetary History were discussing the situation after the financial collapse of the 1930s. We said then and believed then, and I still do, that the Federal Reserve had failed to do what it was originally set up to do. It had permitted a collapse of the monetary system, it had permitted perfectly sound banks to fail by the thousands because of liquidity problems, although it had been set up in 1913 with the objective of preventing that kind of a situation. And we argued in the book that since the Fed had failed and showed no sign that it was not going to continue to fail in pursuing its function, something else was needed to perform the function for which it had originally been established and that the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation would serve that function. Interestingly enough, it did for some 40 years. From 1934 to the early '70s, there were very few bank failures. And there were essentially no runs on banks because of liquidity problems. So it did serve a useful function for 40 years. -- Milton Friedman

Friedman was in favor of abolishing the Federal Reserve System, but believed that if the money supply was to be centrally controlled that the preferable way to do it would be with a mechanical system that would keep the quantity of money increasing at a steady rate. However, instead of government involvement at all, he supported a "real," non-government, gold standard where money is produced by the private market: "A real gold standard is thoroughly consistent with [classical] liberal principles and I, for one, am entirely in favor of measures promoting its development."

Friedman once quipped that the Federal Reserve should be replaced with a computer.
Friedman made mistakes but no one ever made money consistently by betting against him except maybe Nobel laureates Hayek and Samuelson and neither of them were that far from Friedman's position on this subject.

FAIL.

I should argue that Glass-Steagal was never intended to prevent recessions, but to prevent excessive risk taking by banks (with depositors money). I should also argue that the 73 recession was also a direct result of our abandonment of the gold standard (the Saudis stopped accepting dollars for oil, demanding gold and then cutting us off causing a massive shock to our economy).

But why bother? Facts don't phase you and you aren't capable of realizing that the relaxation of critical firewalls between commercial and investment banking that were effected in 99 (Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act, rolling back the central plank of Glass-Steagal) did indeed cause this recent recession/credit crisis/deflationary trap/debt crisis.

You were wrong, you won't admit it. Oh well.

Glass-Steagell obviously failed because we have had banking crises ever since.
The '73 recession had absolutely nothing--zero--to do with the gold standard. It did have to do with oil shock, caused by the embargo following US support for Israel. It was exacerbated by terrible gov't policies, including wage and price controls.

You are completely fact-free, making it up as you go. Merely because one thing preceded another does not mean one caused the other. This is your major fallacy.
The fact that you are a boob of the first order doesn't help much either.

I'm not sure how you managed to torture my post until it relented and told you what you wanted to hear.
In real life, I am suggesting that gov't guarantees of deposits encourage risky lending. That has been the main theme of every banking crisis since the Depression.

One other factor that may break apart the Mega-banks are fines for sloppy paperwork on foreclosures and fines for failure to actively maintain REO properties. CA and OH are floating balloons that amount to a $25+K tax per foreclosure in hopes of selling the properties on the courthouse steps ASAP. $50 billion in fines and counting is my back of the envelope figure on what the states and counties can generate. And courthouse deeds are by definition pristine and the money generated is a tax on non-resident owners in most cases. This should get really interesting.

I'm not sure how you managed to torture my post until it relented and told you what you wanted to hear.
In real life, I am suggesting that gov't guarantees of deposits encourage risky lending. That has been the main theme of every banking crisis since the Depression.

gee, how is directly quoting you a torture?

The Federal Reserve IS the feds in the banking business!

Then Glass-Steagal was a smashing success, thanks for admitting you were dead wrong.

no altering quotes.
Merely because one thing preceded another does not mean one caused the other. This is your major fallacy.

actually it is YOUR major fallacy, you posited that exact logic when you said that since GS was repealed 15 years ago it's repeal couldn't have anything to do with the current econ abyss. You posted that relying entirely on a correlation = causation logic, which is the very reason I have been challenging you ever since!

Could you possibly be more wrong and more duplicitous within one post?

Serious question, please answer it, then shrink back under your rock, humiliated into decades of silence and seclusion.

You're so stupid you don't know what you don't know.
I did not maintain that repeal of GS had nothing to do with the present crisis BECAUSE it happened 15 years ago. I maintain that it never had anything to do with any crisis. You would have to show some causality to make that case. You cannot. You cannot explain why it took 15 years for the repeal of GS to usher in a recession. This despite the recession of 2000, that no one says was caused by repeal of GS.
To answer your quesation, the only way I could be more wrong or more duplicitous in one post is to repost something you have written.
Oh, and I have flagged your post for violation of TOS.
And I neg repped you for good measure.

Then Glass-Steagal was a smashing success, thanks for admitting you were dead wrong.

no altering quotes.
Merely because one thing preceded another does not mean one caused the other. This is your major fallacy.

actually it is YOUR major fallacy, you posited that exact logic when you said that since GS was repealed 15 years ago it's repeal couldn't have anything to do with the current econ abyss. You posted that relying entirely on a correlation = causation logic, which is the very reason I have been challenging you ever since!

Could you possibly be more wrong and more duplicitous within one post?

Serious question, please answer it, then shrink back under your rock, humiliated into decades of silence and seclusion.

You're so stupid you don't know what you don't know.
I did not maintain that repeal of GS had nothing to do with the present crisis BECAUSE it happened 15 years ago. I maintain that it never had anything to do with any crisis. You would have to show some causality to make that case. You cannot. You cannot explain why it took 15 years for the repeal of GS to usher in a recession. This despite the recession of 2000, that no one says was caused by repeal of GS.
To answer your quesation, the only way I could be more wrong or more duplicitous in one post is to repost something you have written.
Oh, and I have flagged your post for violation of TOS.
And I neg repped you for good measure.

Uber stupid dickhead,...YOU were the colossally stupid uber dickhead who asserted that correlation = causation.

I just used your own illogic to hang you by your own petard.

Do you ever shut up when you are proven wrong, wrong, wrong?

Alan Grayson's kind of aggressiveness is exactly what is needed to rescue the middle class and restore economic stability. But corruption is too deeply imbedded in the Congress to get the necessary legislation passed.

Obama's failure to appoint an aggressive Attorney General and aim him (or her) at the Bush Crime Family set the tempo for the future. The fact that Bush and his gang of criminals were able to just walk away with smiling impunity after committing the worst sequence of crimes in America's political history is a clear invitation for a repeat performance by the next clique of opportunists to worm their way into position.

Obama's passive tactics reflect his unwillingness to offend those who are sufficiently powerful to negatively influence his plans after leaving Office. So the most we can hope for is the DNC to put up a radically aggressive replacement for Obama in 2012. Someone like Kucinich or Grayson. Because the right wing is not receptive to compromise.

Forum List

Back