Time for a third party?

Divine Wind

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2011
Texas
The poll below shows many Americans, like myself, feel that neither the Democrats nor the Republicans represent our interests. Is it time for a third party? I say yes....and so do many other Americans.

Americans Continue to Say a Third Political Party Is Needed
A majority of U.S. adults, 58%, say a third U.S. political party is needed because the Republican and Democratic parties "do such a poor job" representing the American people. These views are little changed from last year's high. Since 2007, a majority has typically called for a third party.
jl_dyv9sa0g2nh6kkomuma.png

uk_59h716ewa8h8jzxqaxw.png

What would and who would a 3rd party represent?

Would it be conservative or liberal, reactionary or progressive?

Would it support the will of the people, and be guided by referendums to decide wedge issues (abortion, gun control, tax policy, liberty issues on religion vis a vis the rights of minority populations).

Would such a party support free markets or regulated markets?

Would it support established industries and eschew new technologies?

Would it support a textual interpretation of the Constitution, or recognize the 21st century is greatly different than the 18th?

Would it close our borders and be a by-stander on the world stage, or seek power and control over the policies of other foreign nations?

Would it be fiscally conservative, fiscally responsible or spend like a drunk Marine?

Would it support the will of the people, and be guided by referendums to decide wedge issues (abortion, gun control, tax policy, liberty issues on religion vis a vis the rights of minority populations).

Would it support a textual interpretation of the Constitution, or recognize the 21st century is greatly different than the 18th?

Would it close our borders and be a by-stander on the world stage, or seek power and control over the policies of other foreign nations?

Would it be fiscally conservative, fiscally responsible or spend like a drunk Marine?

The most obvious third party would be Republicans who are sick of abortion and social issues and Democrats who are sick of out of control spending

You have multiple other parties. They all have to start at the bottom and the success will be longer in coming. They have to garner support in the states first and move up. The presidential election is the one that "the people" have the least control over.

The most obvious third party would be Republicans who are sick of abortion and social issues and Democrats who are sick of out of control spending
Agreed. It would represent those Americans who are "socially liberal and fiscally conservative". It fits the American maxim of "I don't care what you do, just don't do it on my lawn or make me pay for it".

I left the Republican party after being a member for 32 years. When I joined in 1974 the GOP was about fiscal responsibility and national defense. Now it's about gay marriage, banning abortions, anti-science and a host of other religious issues. It's been moving that way ever since 1980 when the Christian Coalition began their takeover of the Republican party.

To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, "I didn't leave the Republican Party. The Republican Party left me". While I don't agree with the LP on their isolationist issues (issues they are tempering), I do agree with the remainder of their platform: Platform

You have multiple other parties. They all have to start at the bottom and the success will be longer in coming. They have to garner support in the states first and move up. The presidential election is the one that "the people" have the least control over.
Agreed here. Instead of going for the "brass ring" of the WH, the Libertarian Party is better of securing local and state positions before making inroads into Congress and, eventually, the White House.

Whole lotta people don't like the libertarian party.

Why? Because they are content to let the Democratic or Republican Party do their speaking for them or because they know a third party won't win so they simply choose the lesser of two evils?

I thought the Tea Party was supposed to cure all the right winger's ills
images

Removing the Social Conservatives from the Republican Party will effectively make the R Party a minority party and put the D's in power for years to come. Social conservatives control the vote in Red States, removing them from the R Party will hand over to the D's the electoral college.

Out of control spending is too subjective a phrase, a third party would be wise to set economic policy to responsively take care of what needs to be done, and eschew things (such as unnecessary wars and corporate welfare) which do noting for the many and continue to enrich the few.

A third or fourth or greater number of parties may work in a Parliamentary system, where coalitions control policy and who is the executive (the Prime Minister); in our system chaos would reign (any doubt, consider the chaos the Tea Party has had on governance).

Agreed. It would represent those Americans who are "socially liberal and fiscally conservative". It fits the American maxim of "I don't care what you do, just don't do it on my lawn or make me pay for it".

I left the Republican party after being a member for 32 years. When I joined in 1974 the GOP was about fiscal responsibility and national defense. Now it's about gay marriage, banning abortions, anti-science and a host of other religious issues. It's been moving that way ever since 1980 when the Christian Coalition began their takeover of the Republican party.

To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, "I didn't leave the Republican Party. The Republican Party left me". While I don't agree with the LP on their isolationist issues (issues they are tempering), I do agree with the remainder of their platform: Platform

I left in 1990 when it was becoming very clear HW showed he didn't learn a damned thing in eight years under Reagan

Easy with the third party Divine.Wind LOL....easy

First things first....;)

Let Mr Trump become President first (and he will)

After that ... whatever will be, will be! :D

I thought the Tea Party was supposed to cure all the right winger's ills
images
On the grassroots level, it did to an extent, but on the national level (which now drives all levels) it just drove them toward extreme right partisanship.

Removing the Social Conservatives from the Republican Party will effectively make the R Party a minority party and put the D's in power for years to come. Social conservatives control the vote in Red States, removing them from the R Party will hand over to the D's the electoral college.

Out of control spending is too subjective a phrase, a third party would be wise to set economic policy to responsively take care of what needs to be done, and eschew things (such as unnecessary wars and corporate welfare) which do noting for the many and continue to enrich the few.

A third or fourth or greater number of parties may work in a Parliamentary system, where coalitions control policy and who is the executive (the Prime Minister); in our system chaos would reign (any doubt, consider the chaos the Tea Party has had on governance).

I think there are more liberals who think we're spending too much than you think there are. They have just been coralled by the Democrats and their endless they are worse message.

And I didn't say the socons would leave the Republican party, I said non-socons would to join the third party.

I would still be left without a party, I was just logically saying in our system non-socon Republicans and more fiscally conservative Democrats would be the obvious third party

Why? Because they are content to let the Democratic or Republican Party do their speaking for them or because they know a third party won't win so they simply choose the lesser of two evils?

No. Because of their platform.
If that is true, then why do you think the ranks of the Independents have grown to the point it's larger than either the Republicans or Democrats?

Democratic, Republican Identification Near Historical Lows
In 2015, for the fifth consecutive year, at least four in 10 U.S. adults identified as political independents. The 42% identifying as independents in 2015 was down slightly from the record 43% in 2014. This elevated percentage of political independents leaves Democratic (29%) and Republican (26%) identification at or near recent low points, with the modest Democratic advantage roughly where it has been over the past five years.
6lfnhxwzy0qumyhgcnobdg.png

Party Affiliation
ezpznsk9husgbwvyhzczog.png

a third party will solve nothing. Work with what you have and make that work for you.

No. Because of their platform.
If that is true, then why do you think the ranks of the Independents have grown to the point it's larger than either the Republicans or Democrats?

Democratic, Republican Identification Near Historical Lows
In 2015, for the fifth consecutive year, at least four in 10 U.S. adults identified as political independents. The 42% identifying as independents in 2015 was down slightly from the record 43% in 2014. This elevated percentage of political independents leaves Democratic (29%) and Republican (26%) identification at or near recent low points, with the modest Democratic advantage roughly where it has been over the past five years.
6lfnhxwzy0qumyhgcnobdg.png

Party Affiliation
ezpznsk9husgbwvyhzczog.png

Independent ≠ Libertarian. I am Independent.

The poll below shows many Americans, like myself, feel that neither the Democrats nor the Republicans represent our interests. Is it time for a third party? I say yes....and so do many other Americans.

Americans Continue to Say a Third Political Party Is Needed
A majority of U.S. adults, 58%, say a third U.S. political party is needed because the Republican and Democratic parties "do such a poor job" representing the American people. These views are little changed from last year's high. Since 2007, a majority has typically called for a third party.
jl_dyv9sa0g2nh6kkomuma.png

uk_59h716ewa8h8jzxqaxw.png
Have you checked out the Libertarians? I don't know anything about them, yet, but I aim to find out. Supposedly fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

Forum List

Back