Time For A Pause and Thank You!

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/bush

My uncle was a lieutenant on CPD. My brother is Deputy Chief of Police on large suburban force. My nephew just graduated Summa Cum Laude in Law Enforcement and completed his internship with Secret Service, My son is studying for law enforcement.

I remember 9/11 and the firefighters and the policemen, and the Port Authority workers. These are our first responders, these are those that help us, day in and day out:

WASHINGTON -

President Bush paid tribute on Sunday to 156 law enforcement officers killed last year while making traffic stops, arresting criminals, investigating crimes and performing other duties.

The names of the officers were added to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial, along with 259 others who died in previous years but were not yet engraved on the memorial that was dedicated in 1991.

"All of these men and women served the cause of justice," Bush said at a memorial service on the Capitol lawn. "Our nation stands in admiration and gratitude for their service, and we ask God's blessings for the families and friends they have left behind."

Each May 15 is Peace Officers Memorial Day as a result of a resolution signed by President Kennedy in 1962. Bush has spoken at a memorial service every year since he became president.

Bush was joined on stage this year by Cabinet secretaries, senators and other federal officials. Thousands of uniformed police officers and relatives of the fallen were in the audience. Country singer Darryl Worley sang "I Miss My Friend" in tribute.

Bush said the nation must never take its police officers for granted and cited a few who died in the line of duty last year: two Detroit officers killed while making a traffic stop, a sheriff's deputy from Pennsylvania killed while serving a bench warrant and an Arizona officer who died while diving for evidence in a murder case.

After his remarks, Bush placed a red carnation in a memorial wreath set up on the Capitol lawn. The program, which listed the names of 156 officers killed on the job in 2004, was delayed by more than 90 minutes while Bush went down to the audience and spent time hugging and greeting the family members.

Absolutely, these guys are unsung heroes who deserve our admiration and respect. From time to time there will be a few bad apples on the force, but these few are insignificant when compared to the overall number who serve with valor and honor.

Years ago I was walking down a sidewalk near the Atlanta police HQ and from the opposite way came an officer, going into work I guess..I stopped him and ask "how long have you been a policeman"?
He said, "8 years". I extended my hand to him and said "thanks".
He first took a step back away from me, big surprise for him I guess, I'm sure he was thinking some wacko wants to shake my hand, why, where's the gun or knife?
His shock was clear, so with my hand still extended I followed quickly with "tell all the other guys thanks too".
With that he stepped back toward me, we shook hands, he smiled,
and that was that...
I think it made him feel good..I know I did.

Mr. P said:
Years ago I was walking down a sidewalk near the Atlanta police HQ and from the opposite way came an officer, going into work I guess..I stopped him and ask "how long have you been a policeman"?
He first took a step back away from me, big surprise for him I guess, I'm sure he was thinking some wacko wants to shake my hand, why, where's the gun or knife?
His shock was clear, so with my hand still extended I followed quickly with "tell all the other guys thanks too".
and that was that...

Im fairly sure that doesn't happen to them very often, you probably made his week.

Mr. P said:
and that was that...

My nephew I mentioned in the first post, is graduating from the police academy tomorrow, first in his class. I spoke with my brother today, to make arrangements on how to get my dad there, as the parking situation is tough regarding nearly a half mile walk.

Seems my brother will be dressed in his 'dress uniform' to present my nephew his diploma! His Chief, the other deputy chief, and the City manager are going to attend also. (BTW, the nephew is employed by another city, my brother did not want him applying where he works, though same county.)

Anyways, just another pause to say, I love policemen! (The good ones only! :beer: )

Kathianne said:
My nephew I mentioned in the first post, is graduating from the police academy tomorrow, first in his class. I spoke with my brother today, to make arrangements on how to get my dad there, as the parking situation is tough regarding nearly a half mile walk.

Seems my brother will be dressed in his 'dress uniform' to present my nephew his diploma! His Chief, the other deputy chief, and the City manager are going to attend also. (BTW, the nephew is employed by another city, my brother did not want him applying where he works, though same county.)

Anyways, just another pause to say, I love policemen! (The good ones only! :beer: )
Honored that you quoted my post of so long ago.

My best to yer nephew, and your law enforcement family.

Shake his hand at Graduation, and say "Thank You" from Mr. P.:thup:

Mr. P said:
Honored that you quoted my post of so long ago.

My best to yer nephew, and your law enforcement family.

Shake his hand at Graduation, and say "Thank You" from Mr. P.:thup:
Thank you. Seriously, we do not stop and think of those who give so much for all of us. I'd mention teachers, but nah, too many aren't that great. Police, fire, military, medical personelle, sanitation workers/garbage men...

Forum List

Back