Ticket to Paradise - On Prime and others

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
Ticket to Paradise is a romantic comedy that if you really love Julie Roberts and George Clooney you might enjoy this piece of fluff. Clooney and Roberts, two divorcees who fight about absolutely everything fly to Bali to stop the wedding between their daughter and an islander. Although you know how it's going to end after 5 mins, the journey will not be an unpleasant one. The movie might bring a few smiles to your face but no belly laughs, a of couple frowns but no tears.

Julia Roberts and George Clooney have been good friends for over 20 years. Ticket to Paradise united these two for some fun in one of the most beautiful places in the world. Earning about a million bucks a day each for of 25 days filming, should have made this trip to Bali a trip to paradise. The film is a 100 million dollar production and has grossed 172 million at the office. I'm sure glad I didn't contribute $20. There are plenty of very good movies these two have made. This is not one of them.

If you like Roberts, I would suggest Homecoming, a series available on Prime. It's a mystery with a number of surprises. Fine acting, a good story, and with enough suspense to compensate for it's lack of action.

Last edited:
I never got the fascination over Julie Roberts.
Never thought she was all that.
Gangly, HUUUGE mouth, no curves... almost a caricature of a pretty woman.
I can only think of 1 or 2 romcoms that I have any use for - Devils Prada and Shallow Hal.
I am a very practical person, probably too much, and romcoms are so overdone with unrealistic circumstances that I juts can't get into it.
You might say - "oh so Shallow Hal is realistic??" - it isn't supposed to be. It is a fantasy story.
Pretty Woman is supposed to be a real story. It is absurdly unrealistic.

I never got the fascination over Julie Roberts.
Never thought she was all that.
Gangly, HUUUGE mouth, no curves... almost a caricature of a pretty woman.
I can only think of 1 or 2 romcoms that I have any use for - Devils Prada and Shallow Hal.
I am a very practical person, probably too much, and romcoms are so overdone with unrealistic circumstances that I juts can't get into it.
You might say - "oh so Shallow Hal is realistic??" - it isn't supposed to be. It is a fantasy story.
Pretty Woman is supposed to be a real story. It is absurdly unrealistic.
I admit it. I like a lot of RomComs however I like good action, but with little violence and intense dramas. All providing they are done well which means a good story, good script, good direction and good acting. CGI, is OK provide it is not central to the movie

If you don't like Romcoms, it would be hard to like Julie Roberts, as that is where she had her greatest success. However she has made movies in most all genres, 4 academy award nominations, 1 win and dozens of others awards. Her unique laugh and smile coupled with great timing is what makes her a standout. She certainly is not particularly sexy nor very attractive which probably accounts for the fact that she is equally popular among women as men. Many of Hollywood's best actress are not that attractive, but that's another post. Much of Robert's success comes from good lines written for her or by her and knowing just how to delivery them. Timing is everything and she has it.

I remember one particular line she used in Notting Hill. Which was perfect

William: (Hugh Grant) I live in Notting Hill. You live in Beverly Hills. Everyone in the world knows who you are, my mother has trouble remembering my name.
Anna Scott(Julie Roberts): I'm also just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

She deliveries this short line with a tear her eye, very low key, tentatively followed by compete silence broken by comic relief which breaks the scene.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back