tick time...lets review some things

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and other diseases can be transmitted through the bite of a tick.

Symptoms include fever, chills, aches and pains, and a rash, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The illness can be mild or so severe it can require hospitalization. Untreated Lyme disease can spread to the joints, the heart and nervous system, CDC reports.

Health officials Tick season looms

be sure and check yourself and your pets after walks in the woods....

CDC - Tick Removal - Ticks

i've spent so much time out walking in the woods of new england over the years, i am absolutely amazed i never got a deer tick.

however, i do know many people who have found deer tics on them and ended up with Lyme's disease..

it's important for people to recognize the difference in type of ticks in their area...

Do All Ticks Transmit Lyme Disease?

No. In the northeastern and north-central U.S., the black-legged tick (or deer tick) transmits Lyme disease. In the Pacific coastal U.S., the disease is spread by the western black-legged tick. Other major tick species found in the U.S., including the lone star tick and the dog tick, have NOT been shown to transmit the Lyme disease bacterium. But beware: Lyme disease has been reported in all 50 states, as well as in Canada, Europe, Asia, Australia, and South America.

Lyme disease is an infection that is transmitted through the bite of a tick infected with a bacterium called Borrelia burgdorferi. Ticks typically get the bacterium by biting infected animals, like deer and mice. Most people who get tick bites do not get Lyme disease. Not all ticks are infected, and the risk for contracting the disease increases the longer the tick is attached to the body.

Within one to four weeks of being bitten by an infected tick, most people will experience some symptoms of Lyme disease. A circular, expanding rash (called erythema migrans) at the site of the bite develops in about 70%-80% of cases. Some people report flu-like symptoms at this stage, including fever, chills, headaches, fatigue, swollen lymph nodes, joint pain, and muscle aches.

If the disease is not detected and treated in its early stages, it can extend to more areas of the body, affecting the joints, heart, and nervous system (after several weeks to months after the initial bite). Additional rashes may occur, and there may be intermittent periods of pain and weakness in the arms or legs. Facial-muscle paralysis (Bell's palsy), headaches, and poor memory are other symptoms at this stage, along with a rapid heartbeat and some loss of control of facial muscles.

Lyme Disease Pictures Slideshow Symptoms Causes Treatments Tests Prevention

I live in der country, get 30-40 tick bites a year, maybe more, yet have never had this here disease you fellers from the Rockies get...

Forum List

Back