Thousands of Iranians gather to celebrate ancient Zoroastrian fire festival

Anguille

Bane of the Urbane
Mar 8, 2008
Thousands of Iranians gather to celebrate ancient Zoroastrian fire festival - The Boston GlobeThousands of Iranians gather to celebrate ancient Zoroastrian fire festival

539w.jpg
An Iranian Zoroastrian priest ignited a blaze during the annual Sadeh, an ancient Persian festival marking the creation of fire. (Vahid Salemi/ Associated Press)Thousands of Iranians gather to celebrate ancient Zoroastrian fire festival

By Associated Press | February 1, 2010
CHAM, Iran - Thousands of Iranians gathered at dusk against a snowy mountain backdrop to light giant bonfires in an ancient midwinter festival dating back to Iran’s pre-Islamic past that is drawing new interest from Muslims.
Saturday’s celebration was the first in which the dwindling remnants of Iran’s once plentiful Zoroastrian religious minority were joined by thousands of Muslims, reflecting a growing interest in the strict Islamic society for the country’s ancient traditions.
The festival, known as Sadeh, celebrates the discovery of fire and its ability to banish the cold and dark. It is held in the frigid depths of winter.
Sadeh was the national festival of ancient Persia when Zoroastrianism was the dominant religion, before the conquest by Islam in the seventh century. Now it is mostly celebrated in the homes and temples of Iran’s 60,000 remaining Zoroastrians.
Recently, however, there has been an upsurge of interest among Iranian Muslims - 90 percent of the population - in their ancient heritage, when vast Persian empires held sway over much of central Asia and fought Greek warriors and Roman legions.
Zoroastrianism is a monotheistic religion predating Christianity and Islam and is believed to have influenced those faiths - and Judaism as well - being one of the first religions with a strong notion of good and evil.
Zoroastrians believe they must fight evil through good deeds, words, and thoughts, including charity and service. Fire plays a central role in worship as a symbol of truth and the spirit of God. Prayer is often performed in front of a fire.
The religion was founded in ancient Persia about 3,000 years ago, according to some scholarly estimates, by Zarathustra, or Zoroaster, whom the faith considers a prophet.

They're welcome to do so to their own detriment.

Hast thou not seen those who are given a portion of the Book? They are invited to the Book of Allah that it may decide between them, then a party of them turn back and they withdraw. This is because they say: The Fire shall not touch us but for a few days; and that which they forge deceives them regarding their religion. - 3:23-24​

Zoroastrians believe they must fight evil through good deeds, words, and thoughts, including charity and service.

Liberals.

No wonder Islam hates that religion.

HA! I learned about zoroastrianism when I was in the 4th grade. I had a teacher, Miss Moranto, who was pretty fluent in latin. She let us take turns every day, and look up a word in the dictionary. If she did not know the word, we would get a chocolate bar. She ALWAYS knew every word. She was awesome. Anyways- Zoroastrianism was my word.

What an amazing teacher. <memories>

PS- I do not see anything wrong with zoroastrianism. Why are some people so upset about fire rituals, anyways?? Just because it is in Iran, doesnt make it bad. There will eventually be a ton of christian and catholic guerrillas out there, fucking up Irans plans to use nukes as devices for terrorism, and many christian and catholic people are just as big of asshole terrorists as Jihad are. Zoroastrians are not terrorists.. they are peaceful people. Apparently, many muslims (mostly peaceful, also) are converting to this as well. We should be celebrating this!! =)

Zoroastrians believe they must fight evil through good deeds, words, and thoughts, including charity and service.
Liberals.

No wonder Islam hates that religion.

Good deeds, words, and thoughts, including charity and service are all part of what being a good Muslim means. Same with being a good Jew, Christian or anything.

The Muslim haters of today are the descendants of the Jew haters of a generation ago.

HA! I learned about zoroastrianism when I was in the 4th grade. I had a teacher, Miss Moranto, who was pretty fluent in latin. She let us take turns every day, and look up a word in the dictionary. If she did not know the word, we would get a chocolate bar. She ALWAYS knew every word. She was awesome. Anyways- Zoroastrianism was my word.

What an amazing teacher. <memories>

PS- I do not see anything wrong with zoroastrianism. Why are some people so upset about fire rituals, anyways?? Just because it is in Iran, doesnt make it bad. There will eventually be a ton of christian and catholic guerrillas out there, fucking up Irans plans to use nukes as devices for terrorism, and many christian and catholic people are just as big of asshole terrorists as Jihad are. Zoroastrians are not terrorists.. they are peaceful people. Apparently, many muslims (mostly peaceful, also) are converting to this as well. We should be celebrating this!! =)

Celebrate a religion that causes global warming ?

Forum List

Back