Thoughts on the President-Elect's First Press Conference?

C'mon Paperboy, you know that is too simplistic a criticism to make. The purpose is to stimulate (hence stimulus package) the economy. Although we will borrow, thereby hurting the economy, to stimulate the economy, in the end the money that is stimulated will go toward keeping us from borrowing more and maybe even paying down some the deficit.

Over one trillion has already been approved and they want more? Are we all really that stupid?

Here's how to do it without spending money:

1. Announce a freeze on Capital Gains taxes.
2. Announce a freeze on spending.
3. Announce support of the renewal of the Bush tax cuts.
4. Announce support of the lowering of corporate tax rates to the level of Ireland.

Watch revenue soar.

Watch Obama get impeached.

Last edited:
If it's not a big deal why raise them to begin with?

Simple, you HAVE TO. To pay for implementing new plans to actually fix the economic crisis. You have to have money to be able to do something like this, you have to have that money to invest in new industry creation like renewable energy, fuel efficient cars.....etc. These things create new jobs, and rather than let people like you leave this money sitting in the pockets of the wealthy for a new jaguar or a trip to a spa, that money should be invested into creating JOBS. Its not like its going directly into the pockets of the middle class no, that is a fallacy.....his tax cuts have always been about stimulating the economy and creating jobs....you cant do that by giving blank checks to the middle class you do that by creating and implementing ways for the middle class to be able to make money on their own, which in turn makes money for those rich people that were taxed at a higher capital gains rate.

Allowing those bush tax cuts to be renewed is a temporary fix and only prepetuates that monetary creation of bubbles like the housing market. Bubbles will never end without regulating those fuckers and using their record profits to actually help the middle class find jobs......which as you know, helps those rich people actually make money because more productivity creates more efficient cash flow.

This is a new era of economics, its the trickle UP effect, not the trickle down effect.

Last edited:
Over one trillion has already been approved and they want more? Are we all really that stupid?

4. Announce support of the lowering of corporate tax rates to the level of Ireland.

Watch revenue soar.

BS... watch Obama fail the same way the repubs failed IF he continues irresponsible repub policies.

you really need to let the competent people take a shot at fixing up your mess. And if this country wanted the types of irresponsible and ineffective policies you're talking about, they'd have voted for McCain.

Guess what... in case you didn't notice... they didn't. And your policies were pretty soundly rejected.

Watch revenue soar.

The Bush "tax cuts" led to a $10 trillion dollar National Debt and a $500 billion dollar budget deficit.

You are going be so very, very, very disappointed.

Well if we end the trickle down theory, and implement an equalibrium theory where both the middle class helps build profits equally and the rich business owners allow some of thier tax dollars to be fairly put into the growth of such a project for the greater good of the economy, then i dont think I will be disappointed.

You heard it first here from my mouth. A new era of equalibrium theory, not trickle down theory. This new era will consists of the middle class leaning on the upperclass for allowing a tax of capital gains to benefit overall sales and economic growth........ and the upper class leaning on the more appreciated and larger working middle class.

Last edited:
Well if we end the trickle down theory, and implement an equalibrium theory where both the middle class helps build profits equally and the rich business owners allow some of thier tax dollars to be fairly put into the growth of such a project for the greater good of the economy, then i dont think I will be disappointed.

You heard it first here from my mouth. A new era of equalibrium theory, not trickle down theory. This new era will consists of the middle class leaning on the upperclass for allowing a tax of capital gains to benefit overall sales and economic growth........ and the upper class leaning on the more appreciated and larger working middle class.

Anyone other than a lobbyist or a politician who thinks the government is going to help them be successful is a fool.

What makes you successful is having a purpose, burning the midnight oil and having as little government interference as possible.

What the government wants is as many people dependent on governement as possible as that is how governement retains and expands it's power.

Now governement has it's place but that does not include the people being econmically dependent on government except for extreme cases of those in our society who really need the help.

Did I fall into a wormhole and end up in an alternate universe? If anyone read the Wall Street Journal today you'd see that Nancy Pelosi is sounding positively conservative!:
Pelosi Pushes Two-Part Stimulus - WSJ.com
WASHINGTON -- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called for a two-stage effort to boost the shaky U.S. economy: a $60 billion-to-$100 billion stimulus package this month, followed early next year by a companion measure that would include a "permanent tax cut".
In the long term, Rep. Pelosi said a capital-gains tax cut, as pushed by congressional Republicans, should be considered as part of a "tax simplification" bill, not a stimulus package. Rep. Pelosi did stress, however, that the "second piece" of the Democratic stimulus agenda should include a tax cut and would be part of a bill moved early next year.
Details have yet to be determined and will depend on further discussions with Mr. Obama. But the speaker prefers a tax cut over a tax rebate. The speaker said a tax cut would have a more immediate impact on the economy, especially if the government speeds dollars into worker paychecks by adjusting tax-withholding tables. "The impact is faster than a rebate, which takes a few months to get into people's hands."
I must be an alternate universe because she is making sense! :disbelief:

What we saw is a calm, deliberative, and responsible President elect. I think Obama has been wise to hold off Cabinet Nominees so they can properly vent them so the confirmation process runs smoothly.

He did a good job both from form and substance. If you hate him, you are going to say what you want. Compared to our previous prez, he is outstanding both from how he speaks and how he can respond to questions that aren't pre placed. To try and defend Bush as a better speaker is pure partisan stupidity.

He isn't at the level of Clinton or Kennedy as a speaker, but he is very good. He will get better the longer he is in office.

As someone who does public speaking as part of my job, I would say he rates in the upper 10% of speakers in politics today. He didn't get to where he is by being a poor speaker. He has that rare ability to motivate and excite people. That isn't a celebrity, it's called charismatic power. It is one of the basis of power that a leader can use.

As someone who does public speaking as part of my job, I would say he rates in the upper 10% of speakers in politics today. He didn't get to where he is by being a poor speaker. He has that rare ability to motivate and excite people. That isn't a celebrity, it's called charismatic power. It is one of the basis of power that a leader can use.

I'd say he is in the upper 1% as a public speaker. My gut tells me that is his one and only area of excellence. Time will tell.

He did a good job both from form and substance. If you hate him, you are going to say what you want. Compared to our previous prez, he is outstanding both from how he speaks and how he can respond to questions that aren't pre placed. To try and defend Bush as a better speaker is pure partisan stupidity.

He isn't at the level of Clinton or Kennedy as a speaker, but he is very good. He will get better the longer he is in office.

I agree, can you imagine four years of "my friends"

you guys want a nightmare? how about this speaker? who said he wanted to "deliver bottled hot water to dehydrated babies"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwWBZESBJDc]YouTube - John Bush McCain vs. Himself: Lime Green Speech Mashup[/ame]

Twelve years as a constitutional lawprofessor. 8 years as a state senator. 3 as a US Senator. Ran the most organized campaign in recent history.

He is a lot more than a gifted speaker. He will surround himself with people who are real experts and not political cronies. That's what real leaders do.

Wait and see.

What we saw is a calm, deliberative, and responsible President elect. I think Obama has been wise to hold off Cabinet Nominees so they can properly vent them so the confirmation process runs smoothly.

Agreed.

Absolutely dead on.

Personally, I thought he looked tired and had a look of 'reality is setting in'. After the intel meeting my guess is he did a Buckwheat (no racial intent in this comment; just think about Buckwheat's reaction to things that are scary).

Here's a link to the conference:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9VcS-EF7T0]YouTube - President-Elect Barack Obama Holds First Press Conference[/ame]

Twelve years as a constitutional lawprofessor. 8 years as a state senator. 3 as a US Senator. Ran the most organized campaign in recent history.

He is a lot more than a gifted speaker. He will surround himself with people who are real experts and not political cronies. That's what real leaders do.

• Was not a professor
  • Did nothing in the State Senate
  • Did nothing as a US Senator
  • Axelrod ran the campaign

My guess is that Obama's legacy will be that he was elected. Important and good for the country but I don't expect he will accomplish much more than that. His domestic agenda is nothing more than failed rehashed liberal silliness.

If he leaves a mark beyond his actual election it more likely to be from foreign policy successes.

• Was not a professor
  • Did nothing in the State Senate
  • Did nothing as a US Senator
  • Axelrod ran the campaign

My guess is that Obama's legacy will be that he was elected. Important and good for the country but I don't expect he will accomplish much more than that. His domestic agenda is nothing more than failed rehashed liberal silliness.

If he leaves a mark beyond his actual election it more likely to be from foreign policy successes.

do you have links to back up what you are saying? Or did you just skim drudge,malkin,and hannity sites?

do you have links to back up what you are saying? Or did you just skim drudge,malkin,and hannity sites?

Chicago Sun Times: No 'Professor' Obama at U. of C. Link here

Sydney Morning Herald: The man behind Obama's victory Link here

Sorry, but I do not have any links to what Obama did not do in the Illinois and US Senate. :D

Chicago Sun Times: No 'Professor' Obama at U. of C. Link here

Sydney Morning Herald: The man behind Obama's victory Link here

Sorry, but I do not have any links to what Obama did not do in the Illinois and US Senate. :D

so basically you are knocking him for serving as a professor in the law school without holding the title professor of law? and having a talented chief campaign strategist? wow, you guys have alot of work to do.

Forum List

Back