Those of you whose ancestors immirgrated here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had family in this country since the 1630's. I can't ask them. It has been a while.

I think back then, they didn't want to be told how to do their religion. They wanted to tell other folks.

My dad's family has been here since the 1613 or something, they were kicked out of France due to religious reasons and moved here after being in Ireland for awhile. My mom's side were Quakers, so probably religious reasons, and my other ancestors from my mom side were Native Americans so they came over on the land bridge or whatever they believe.

☭proletarian☭;1900830 said:
what did they come here to be?

farmers

My italian ancestors came over late 1800's and settled south of baton rouge along the Mississippi. My great-grandfather is known to have stood up to local mafia. They came to his farm demanding that he pay protection fees. He came out with a shotgun and told them to F off. He was the only farmer in the area who didn't have to pay the mob because they thought he was nuts.

My English ancestors settled north of Lake Ponchartrain in the same time period. Most of them were dirt poor until my grandfather who joined the army at age 16 (having lied about his age) and was sent to college by the army after WW II, eventually becoming a lawyer. Though he still farms trees.

Last edited:
They could have been free in any obscure borderlands.

They could have farmed the land in nearly any corner of the world.

They could have fled to Asia, Africa, South America, or Greenland.

Why America? What did they choose to become by coming here in order to be all of those things they knew they could be in this country?

Did they come hereto be Mexicans? Did they come here to be Spaniards, Koreans, or French?

☭proletarian☭;1901356 said:

Why America? What did they choose to become by coming here in order to be all of those things they knew they could be in this country?

Did they come hereto be Mexicans? Did they come here to be Spaniards, Koreans, or French?

They didn't come here to be Americans, they came here to eat. People were starving in Italy at the time.

I find it amusing so many Americans think that people immigrated here becase they just found the idea of America so awe inspiring. Bull crap. From the very beginning, the reason people came here wasn't because they thought Thomas Jefferson was an awesome thinker, but because they were fucking starving and they heard they could make a good living in the U.S.

Same with the Mexicans. They don't want our baseball or our apple pie - they want the jobs that we are apparently willing to give them. And they'll keep coming as long as they can get work. You can build a wall 1000 feet tall - Italians had to travel over 4000 miles to get here, you think a wall 100 ft thick and 1000 ft tall will stop Mexicans? All they have to do is go around it, unless you plan on building it all the way up both coasts and Canada.

Last edited:
☭proletarian☭;1901356 said:

Don't like answers? Don't ask questions.

My Dad's family came here in the very early 1600's. Not sure on my Mom's family. They probably came looking for freedom and land.

My ancestors came in 1600's but I believe has enough money where they were able to buy land, and were slave owners in South Caronlina. I know they were kicked out of France but from what they did I am guessing they had money when they immigrated to Ireland first.

☭proletarian☭;1901377 said:
They probably came looking for freedom and land.

And if it was the 1600's chances are they got indentured servitude and no land.

They kept coming. Must've been better than what they were leaving behind.

Not necessary. All that is necessary is that they think America is better than where they are at. By the time they get here 4000 miles later its a bit too late to turn around.

of course, invariably, for the first part of our history, America WAS better for anyone willing to farm the land, as there was plenty land to go around.

they didnt have much info back then, people came for a new start, for economic reasons, to not starve or to run away from poverty, to run from the law...
and yea, a lot also to run away from religous repression.

My parents came here to escape the corruption running rampant in their country - and nothing being done to correct the wrongs. God Bless America!!

My ancestors came in 1600's but I believe has enough money where they were able to buy land, and were slave owners in South Caronlina. I know they were kicked out of France but from what they did I am guessing they had money when they immigrated to Ireland first.

They were probably Huguenots, Luissa. At that time many were fleeing France because the Huguenots had faced persecution since the Reformation. Many were killed in planned massacres under a plan for total extermination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back