Thompson drops out of Presidential Race endorses McCain

Waterrescuedude

Jul 18, 2007
Reno,NV
The press release will be officially issued tomorrow Friday 01-04-08. I was on the conference call this morning with the McCain campaign and heard the news. Nevadamedic is the volunteer coordinator for Nevada and he will verify this tonight. The only link I have got for today is: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0108/7682.html

DES MOINES, Iowa — Several Republican officials close to Fred Thompson’s presidential campaign said they expect the candidate will drop out of the race within days if he finishes poorly in Thursday’s Iowa caucus.

Thompson’s campaign, which last spring and summer was generating fevered anticipation in the media and with some Republican activists, has never ignited nationally, and there are no signs of a late spark happening here in Iowa, where even a third-place finish is far from assured.

This reality — combined with a fundraising drought — left well-connected friends and advisers of Thompson Wednesday evening predicting that he will pull the plug on hype and hope before the Jan. 8 New Hampshire primary.

Thompson’s departure could shake up the race more than his continued presence. Friends and advisers said they have long considered it likely that if the lobbyist-actor is forced from the race he would endorse John McCain, his former Senate colleague who lately has been staging a political revival in New Hampshire.

I heard this earlier today, then heard that everyone in the Thompson campaign has denied this and stated there aren't enough adjectives to indicate how vehemently they're denying it.

Guess we'll see.

But I just got off of a conference call with some people very high up on McCain's campaign and thats what they told me.

I heard this earlier today, then heard that everyone in the Thompson campaign has denied this and stated there aren't enough adjectives to indicate how vehemently they're denying it.

Guess we'll see.

Yep, and with style. Links to the original post of Politico and others:

http://theanchoressonline.com/2008/01/03/fred-thompson-sly-wry-and-dry/

FRED THOMPSON RESPONDS TO The Politico:

GOP presidential hopeful Fred Thompson said in an in-studio interview with KCCI-TV in Des Moines that there is no truth to rumors that his campaign will fold before New Hampshire if he doesn’t have a strong showing in Iowa.

“That is absolutely made up out of whole cloth,” said the former U.S. Senator from Tennessee.

Thompson said a rival campaign was likely the source of that rumor.

“Can you imagine such a thing in politics?” he asked.

Thompson is sly, wry and dry. He dares to mock and sneer at the absurd posturing and pretending that constitutes modern political campaigning which has become nothing more than spin and illusion, void of authenticity and substance. I don’t know if I am ready to say “he’s my guy.” I think it’s too soon to say that about anyone.

But I do note that Mr. Thompson is fast to correct the media when they blather-at-will about him; that’s certainly refreshing. And I note that he and Giuliani seem to be the only folks on the GOP side who make the other side squirm, which tells me they are perceived to be the only candidates who can give them real competition. And frankly, just watching Huckabee and Romney these past weeks, I’m inclined to agree - I don’t think anyone else from the GOP-side can overcome the Democrats and their friendly press. Romney still strikes me as too-groomed by half, and Huckabee as too slickly cynical; both ooze something I just don’t like.

But I just got off of a conference call with some people very high up on McCain's campaign and thats what they told me.

Yes, I understand that's what the the McCain high-ups are telling people. The Thompson high-ups are vehemently denying it.

*shrug*

Who knows.

Senator McCain's national campaign manager just told me so on the phone today so I am just gonna leave it as we will see either tonight or tomorrow.

It's certainly possible.

Then again, if you want to create some buzz for your own campaign and maybe hurt a political rival in the process, I can see someone "leaking" this information.

It's certainly possible.

Then again, if you want to create some buzz for your own campaign and maybe hurt a political rival in the process, I can see someone "leaking" this information.

Note Thompson's quote about 'politics'. :rofl: :rofl:

This sort of reminds me of the 2000 election mess when some news networks jumped the gun and declared, 10 minutes before polls closed, that Gore had carried Florida. The drive to be the first to get the news out often results in inaccuracies. I’d recommend that you hold your horses. There is no need to rush. Once you hear something, wait a few days and check again. Get it straight from the horse’s mouth. You will often find an “Ooops” in there somewhere.

Forum List

Back