This might prove to be helpful in understanding the US's obligations under asylum law.

Okay, I’ll play along and play stupid with you….Does DACA policy function like a law functions?
No, because it isn't a law.

If a person arrives on US soil and claims asylum, does the US have to deal with their claim under international law?

Yes. Not only does the US have an international legal obligation to do so, based on the requirement of complying with the object and purpose of the 1951 Refugee Convention, and implementing legal obligations in good faith, it has an obligation to do so under its own domestic law.

Your lack of defense of your comment the Left has been spewing misinformation about immigration for 40 years is taken as an admission you have no defenD

What? I have no need to defend My comments.

The United States is a sovereign nation, and we are free to reject international laws that are antithetical to our sovereignty. You cannot claim otherwise unless you can claim that the world has the might to force it to do so.

Is it your contention that the world would go to war with the United States to force us to take people into our nation that we refuse to accept?

If so, you're an idiot.

1. The world has its own immigration issues and could care less about ours.
2. The world lacks the means necessary to force us to accept claims of asylum EXCEPT under conditions we set forth by law.

So, we CAN craft and tailor our laws to say that claims of asylum at our border will be summarily rejected and people who make such claims will be turned away.

We've seen that this is a legal condition given that the "Remain in Mexico" policy we had just 3 short years ago was not challenged by the international community and that our SCOTUS found the policy constitutional.

This means that the challenge of allowing asylum seekers into our country when they present at the border is on you, because we've seen that the policy is a utter disaster for this country.

I’ll give you a half point

Every politician running for office will say they are the only one best qualified for the job

I never heard a politician say otherwise

You are a typical trump hating lib who doggedly pursues the trivial instead of the bigger and more important part of my post

Specifically that we should try to cooperate on trade policy instead of fighting over every detail

But knowing how much joy libs get from bashing trump I wont get my hopes up
For the purposes of my reply to you I wasn't so much bashing Trump as proving you wrong. Your response gets zero points for integrity.

Is it your contention that the world would go to war with the United States to force us to take people into our nation that we refuse to accept?
It is my contention the world can recognize the US is in violation of international law.

Sinaloa cartel thrives on migrant trafficking thanks to Trump

Another example of how hoodwinked Trump nation is about his claimed success at controlling the border.

I have a silly question. Do you understand what asylum means?

People in Peru, Venezuela, Columbia, and many other places as an example. They offend the local drug cartels, and have to flee for their lives. Sometimes leaving the corpses of family members behind. According to you, they need to apply for Asylum before departing. Wouldn’t it be easier to issue them a bullet to commit suicide instead of an asylum packet?

What it really is, well to put it simply, is arrogance. I remember Trump saying that Mexico isn’t sending us their best and brightest.

Who do you think was on the Mayflower? It wasn’t the best and brightest in England, or anywhere else in Europe. It was the refuse. The unwanted scum who were taking up space.

No Father sat down with his family and said life is pretty good. We are literally tripping over gold bars we are so rich. But we are going to board a rickety leaky boat. This thing might hold together long enough for us to die of scurvy. But we are going to do this because the wild American colonies where we will be slaughtered by Wild Indians or die of starvation wants the best and brightest.

Australia was populated by criminals, and founded as a penal colony. We were too in a lot of ways.

Idiots.
Are you an idiot?

How many nations do they have to travel through before reaching the USA?
How is it that we are obligated to accept them whether they fear for their lives or not?

We are not a welfare state to the world.

Until such time as we put in place sensible and protective immigration policy in this nation, we have an obligation to turn away any and all people who refuse to go through legal immigration means. Those legal means do not include asylum.

For the purposes of my reply to you I wasn't so much bashing Trump as proving you wrong. Your response gets zero points for integrity.
As long as you concede that what trump said was not the big deal that some anti trumpeters think it is

Are you an idiot?

How many nations do they have to travel through before reaching the USA?
How is it that we are obligated to accept them whether they fear for their lives or not?

We are not a welfare state to the world.

Until such time as we put in place sensible and protective immigration policy in this nation, we have an obligation to turn away any and all people who refuse to go through legal immigration means. Those legal means do not include asylum.

We signed an international treaty. We joined the UN. Perhaps you have heard of these things.

That is the real problem with Conservatives. To paraphrase Reagan. They know so much about what just isn’t.

We signed an international treaty. We joined the UN. Perhaps you have heard of these things.

That is the real problem with Conservatives. To paraphrase Reagan. They know so much about what just isn’t.
We also have the ability to end those treaties. The problem with you clowns is that none you comprehend what you read.

I have a silly question. Do you understand what asylum means?

People in Peru, Venezuela, Columbia, and many other places as an example. They offend the local drug cartels, and have to flee for their lives. Sometimes leaving the corpses of family members behind. According to you, they need to apply for Asylum before departing. Wouldn’t it be easier to issue them a bullet to commit suicide instead of an asylum packet?

What it really is, well to put it simply, is arrogance. I remember Trump saying that Mexico isn’t sending us their best and brightest.

Who do you think was on the Mayflower? It wasn’t the best and brightest in England, or anywhere else in Europe. It was the refuse. The unwanted scum who were taking up space.

No Father sat down with his family and said life is pretty good. We are literally tripping over gold bars we are so rich. But we are going to board a rickety leaky boat. This thing might hold together long enough for us to die of scurvy. But we are going to do this because the wild American colonies where we will be slaughtered by Wild Indians or die of starvation wants the best and brightest.

Australia was populated by criminals, and founded as a penal colony. We were too in a lot of ways.

Idiots.
Much of the disinformation Trumpleton's believe about asylum/immigration is uncritically adopted because it helps them rationalize their fundamentally bigoted, ignorant, inhumane attitude towards asylum seekers. Again, I say that while acknowledging the standards for said seeker's admission to the US needs to be made more strict.

We also have the ability to end those treaties. The problem with you clowns is that none you comprehend what you read.

Ok. End them. Be my guest. And when other nations start ending agreements and treaties with us what then? You have this idea that the world depends on us and has to play by our rules.

That arrogance is on display with every Republican Presidential Candidate. Every single one of them says they’ll use military force on the Cartels. Mexico wouldn’t dare object. Right?

Well Mexico has rejected this and the Candidates have all assured us that this is not a real problem.

"The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." The irony of that brain dead fool's remark, a guy who never had an original thought in his life, is too thick to cut with a chain saw.

Ok. End them. Be my guest. And when other nations start ending agreements and treaties with us what then? You have this idea that the world depends on us and has to play by our rules.

That arrogance is on display with every Republican Presidential Candidate. Every single one of them says they’ll use military force on the Cartels. Mexico wouldn’t dare object. Right?

Well Mexico has rejected this and the Candidates have all assured us that this is not a real problem.
No, the world does not depend on us and I've never been under any such illusion.

What I do believe is that we have the right to enact OUR laws and OUR morality inside OUR country and that the rest of the world does not get as say in our survival.

The entire border issue is an existential threat to our survival as a nation.

If the rest of the world wants to end agreements with us (which they are already doing, given that we have the weakest President in office in modern history), they are free to do so. The USA was once self-sufficient, and we can go back to being that.

I'm pretty sure that over this issue, the world won't bother walking away from us.

No, the world does not depend on us and I've never been under any such illusion.

What I do believe is that we have the right to enact OUR laws and OUR morality inside OUR country and that the rest of the world does not get as say in our survival.

The entire border issue is an existential threat to our survival as a nation.

If the rest of the world wants to end agreements with us (which they are already doing, given that we have the weakest President in office in modern history), they are free to do so. The USA was once self-sufficient, and we can go back to being that.

I'm pretty sure that over this issue, the world won't bother walking away from us.

Actually. You do have that idea. One of the causes of the Pearl Harbor attack and even the invasion of North Korea into the South was arrogance on our part. We believed that they just wouldn’t dare.

That describes the attitude towards many issues, including our Immigration policy. We announce we intend to abuse and essentially leave the people to die. Then we expect nations to continue supporting us. We announce we don’t care about treaties, and expect others to follow the treaties where we are concerned. Idiocy and arrogance.

Asylum in the United States

As a signatory to the 1967 Protocol, and through U.S. immigration law, the United States has legal obligations to provide protection to those who qualify as refugees. The Refugee Act established two paths to obtain refugee status—either from abroad as a resettled refugee or in the United States as an asylum seeker.

There's a lot of info available at the link with respect to the actual asylum process. Not the process heard about from those with an interest in disinformation. After all, immigration will be a go-to issue for Repubs in the coming election cycle. And we can expect them to spew lots and lots of lies about it.

My personal feeling is the standards for qualification need to be made more strict. Something I believe is being negotiated in Congress as part of a compromise reform package.
Abused loophole that should be removed. They never show up for court and have new names and ids.

Blatent abuse if govt not enforcing laws

Best thing that could happen would be to challenge the Asylum law because of its abuse to SCOTUS

Untrue. They do have solutions. The DEMOCRATS block any and ALL efforts to change the system.

What solution? ... bar entry into the United Stated based on skin-color? ... remember: it was Caucasians who blew up the Boston Marathon ... and for less at $100 at Walmart, you too can kill hundreds of people ... forget assault rifles, use bombs instead ...

All you have to do is [deleted per USMB policies] and there you have it, 500 people people ... easy peasy ...

This may also prove to be informative.

Maybe instead of letting them in, we should give them guns and send them home ... that's how we get Mexico to build and defend a border wall ... and that's AMERICAN JOBS in the gun manufacturing sector ...

Forum List

Back