CDZ This is what happens when folks haven't a lick of common sense....Harambe gets shot dead

Does it seem to you that there must have been a better solution than shooting Harambe?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One more reason to get rid of zoos.

I will never patronize any zoo
Meh. My kids LOVE the zoo and aquariums. Both very fun for them and very good. They also would not climb into an enclosure nor would I allow such a thing to happen.
I don't care about your kids I actually care about the animals and that's why I don't go

You don't care enough to think about it instead of just emoting over it.

Think about what? Keeping wild animals in captivity?

Thought about it disagree with it will not go to zoos

That is why I "inferred" you were willing to risk the boy's life to try other tactics with the gorilla.

Willing to take that risk while the zoo personnel, or even myself jumping into the enclosure, try other less terminal options? Yes, I'd be willing to take that risk. Indeed, by my own principles, I'd have to be willing to do so, be my kid or someone else's. Taking that risk is one of the downsides of my ethos that says "I don't get to have my cake and eat it too."

You might wonder from whence comes my will and commitment to that principle. It comes from Jesus' example.

And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.
-- Matthew 26:39​

So, no, I would not want the child to die. I would not want my own child to die were our places switched. I too would not care to die defending my child. But would I "risk it all" try to do the right thing by the gorilla, my child, and myself, before agreeing to destroy the gorilla? Yes, if it were to come to that, I would. By the same token, I put a lot of effort into not letting things like that happen in my life.

Luck is what you have when preparation and opportunity collide.
-- ???​

It is also what made me think of the question posed by PaintMyHouse, not the Trolley Problem: There has been a car accident and the car is about to explode.

Yes...I know. Her thread dilemma is just a variation the "Trolley Problem." PaintMyHouse somewhat bastardized the purpose of the question, but the question itself is substantively the same.

It seemed in this OP about the gorilla that you were choosing the gorilla, who is critically endangered, over the multitude of stupid kids and parents that are "easily replaced." Or not missed.

Your final comment "It's not about worth to me; it's about worthiness. They're not the same" seems to emphasize that. Harambe was a magnificent animal and this was a tragedy. I surely agree with you there.

Blue:
I'm not actively choosing the gorilla over the parents and kids. I am, however, giving it more opportunity to live than did the zoo keepers; I'd try more non-fatal options than did the keepers before conceding to killing the gorilla. I would shoot the gorilla if all else failed -- perhaps that's what folks are looking for from me -- if I'd tried other options like the various "shiny object" ones of the sort I suggested didn't yield the desired outcome.

The distinction between me and others is that I have a different extent of risk tolerance than do others, such as you. That is what it is. I realize that the distinction is very nuanced and folks may not want to delve to that degree of nuance. Heck, their principles may not even have that degree of subtlety, and that's okay, but those aren't my principles, and it's not my principles work.

Harambe was a magnificent animal and this was a tragedy. I surely agree with you there.

I am sure there's no or very little disagreement on that.

The zoo had ZERO choice. but to rescue that child as quickly and safely as possible, unfortunately that meant destroying an animal.

That has no bearing on the fact that the parents here deserve some blame. The kid reportedly said several times " i wan to get in the water with the monkey" or words to that effect. At that point , you ramp up the attention you are paying to your child.

One more reason to get rid of zoos.

I will never patronize any zoo
Meh. My kids LOVE the zoo and aquariums. Both very fun for them and very good. They also would not climb into an enclosure nor would I allow such a thing to happen.
I don't care about your kids I actually care about the animals and that's why I don't go

You don't care enough to think about it instead of just emoting over it.

Think about what? Keeping wild animals in captivity?

Learning about animals, raising awareness for animals, raising money for research on animals, learning how to help endangered animals, etc....

Forum List

Back