This Is Weird

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...ap_on_re_us/flights_grounded&cid=519&ncid=716

Two airlines? Same problem? Any engineers out there?

Technical Glitch Grounds American Flights

4 minutes ago

FORT WORTH, Texas - A computer glitch grounded American Airlines and US Airways flights from coast to coast Sunday morning, causing delays that were expected to last all day.

American had its planes back up after two hours, while US Airways flights were grounded for about three.

Federal Aviation Administration (news - web sites) spokeswoman Diane Spitaliere said the FAA (news - web sites) was alerted to the problem, and both carriers asked the FAA's air traffic controllers to help communicate with planes to keep them on the ground until the problems were fixed.

US Airways spokeswoman Amy Kudwa said the airline's flight-operation database malfunctioned, due to "an internal technology problem, not a safety or security issue."

A similar problem affected American's flight plan system, grounding about 150 flights, spokesman John Hotard said.

The problem forced US Airways, based in Arlington, Va., to delay about 100 flights. Separately, a number of flights were canceled Sunday morning in Philadelphia, an airline hub, and New York because of thunderstorms.

American planned to run its full daily schedule of 2,400 flights, but delays were expected.

"All flights could run up to two hours behind," Hotard said.

A few incoming international flights were in the air at the time of the grounding and continued to their U.S. destinations, Hotard said.

Kathianne said:

Yes I have a patient who is the Continental Airlines general manager for the computer systems that keep this airline running.

He hinted that there is no way to understand the nature of employees who have no business messing with the softwear or programs that keeps the airlines running smoothly.

He and his wife told me that they call him day and night concerning problems with their computer systems.

You are not talking about a home PC and its Windows based softwear.

His advisement to me during a visit was frightening indeed.

Forum List

Back