These are who we call Heroes

Are you still active duty? I don't know about Bragg but most bases are now (and have been for a while) civilian contract security/special police at the gates and in some instances augmenting the MP/SP element on post.

No. I'd venture to guess that most of those bases don't have active duty combat arms units like the Infantry to farm out the crappy detail to for cheap.

Even our MPs didn't do gate duty post 9-11. We did, and the job rotated from unit to unit a month at a time.

Luckily I was medical/dental and didn't have to pull that duty except one time and that was cut short. In 73 I was in Panama and we squids were assigned to do gate duty at the Marine Barracks for the Marines birthday. I had a late shift (don't remember what time) but about an hour into it Gunny and a couple of corporals showed up at the gate three sheets to the wind. Gunny took one look, parked the car (yes they were driving), told one of the corps to take over gate duty, took me back into the gate house (not a shack, an actual gate house), poured me some coffee, pulled out a flask then stiffened the coffee. I did protest, didn't really want an article 15 for abandoning my post and drinking on duty but all Gunny would say is:" Doc, you've been properly relieved now drink up. Who's gonna argue with the gunny? Not me. We sat there drinking "coffee" and shooting the shit until the relief arrived.

We got tagged with it at Schofield after 9-11. There weren't enough MPs to guard the gates. It screwed everything up, the training schedule, PT, etc, and we loathed it. My guys were always having to deal with some NCO trying to pull rank on them. The worst were actually the MPs. It got so bad, that I started to pull gate duty with my guys in case I had to line out an E-7.

I certainly don't miss that about the Army.

In 22 years I never pulled Gate duty. Some of my troops did just prior to and during the first Gulf war. We had to supplement the MP's checking cars for bombs. Also we had roving patrols in the Housing areas in Europe. If my troops were on duty I always checked in with them at least once every night. When I was at garrison that is.

Did you say you went to Iraq? Are you talking about the first one or the second one?

Why does it matter. You going to try to say I wasn't there? Anytime punk. Want me to post pictures?

I am not the one getting schooled on military matters. So you going to change your story now or do I need to post links?

I only ask because the Army I served in replaced the M-60 with the M-240B in the early 1990s.

Starting with the 75th Ranger Regiment, which you claim to have been a part of.

I don't care to see your pictures.

But thanks for showing me what a tough, bad-ass, mother-fucker you are with the negative rep.

That in no way makes you look like a ginormous pussy.

So you are telling me the M-60 is not still in service in the US Army? LOL

And I will prove you to be a liar.

Type General purpose machine gun
Place of origin United States
Service history
In service 1957—present
Used by See Users
Wars Vietnam War
Cambodian Civil War
Gulf War
War in Afghanistan
Iraq War

Production history
Manufacturer Saco Defense, U.S. Ordnance
Unit cost $6,000[1]
Variants See Variants
Specifications
Weight 10.5 kg (23.15 lb)
Length 1,105 mm (43.5 in)
Barrel length 560 mm (22.0 in)

Cartridge 7.62x51mm NATO
Caliber 7.62 mm (0.308 in)
Action Gas-operated, open bolt
Rate of fire 600 rounds/min (rpm)
Muzzle velocity 2,800 ft/s (853 m/s)
Effective range 1,200 yd (1,100 m)
Feed system Disintegrating belt with M13 Links

Shut up and sit down liar. As for being a pussy, I not the one lying about my time in the military. If you did serve in was in the Mess because you were sure in the hell not in a combat unit. Punk.

In 22 years I never pulled Gate duty. Some of my troops did just prior to and during the first Gulf war. We had to supplement the MP's checking cars for bombs. Also we had roving patrols in the Housing areas in Europe. If my troops were on duty I always checked in with them at least once every night. When I was at garrison that is.

You were lucky on that account.

I dont know what Army you were in but the Army I served in always had MPs at the gate. Us in lines units NEVER did gate duty because we weren't trained for it. If we did any guard duty it was at a ammo dump or a sensitive site. The only time were even near the gates was when we were behind the concrete slabs inside a bunker manning a M-60 or Saw. But the MP's were screening cars before coming to the gate. We were the last line of defense.

Did you say you went to Iraq? Are you talking about the first one or the second one?

Why does it matter. You going to try to say I wasn't there? Anytime punk. Want me to post pictures?

I am not the one getting schooled on military matters. So you going to change your story now or do I need to post links?

Take a chill pill.

Service history
In service 1957—present
Used by See Users
Wars Vietnam War
Cambodian Civil War
Gulf War
War in Afghanistan
Iraq War

Shut up and sit down liar. As for being a pussy, I not the one lying about my time in the military. If you did serve in was in the Mess because you were sure in the hell not in a combat unit. Punk.

It's in service, just not in active duty infantry units. They still use them in Helicopters, but that's the only place I can remember seeing them.

See, I can wiki too!

Starting with Ranger Battalions, the US Army began adopting and modifying M240 variants for replacing their remaining M60s in the early 1990s. By comparison, the M240 is several pounds heavier than the M60, and has a longer barrel and overall length, but is more reliable in use and testing.

M60 machine gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Take a chill pill.

I am not going to step by and let this asshole try to tell me what I did or didnt do while in the Army, esp when he is talking out his ass.

Service history
In service 1957—present
Used by See Users
Wars Vietnam War
Cambodian Civil War
Gulf War
War in Afghanistan
Iraq War

It's in service, just not in active duty infantry units. They still use them in Helicopters, but that's the only place I can remember seeing them.

See, I can wiki too!

Starting with Ranger Battalions, the US Army began adopting and modifying M240 variants for replacing their remaining M60s in the early 1990s. By comparison, the M240 is several pounds heavier than the M60, and has a longer barrel and overall length, but is more reliable in use and testing.

M60 machine gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No what you are saying is that the M-60 was taken out of service which it is clearly not. We had mounted m-60's inside almost every gate bunker. Why? Because they wanted the stopping power of the 7.62 over the 5.56 when it came to stopping a moving vehicle. I never said we still carried them in the field or was used as a squad service weapon. Maybe before you make yourself look like an ass again try to know what the fuck you are talking about.

No what you are saying is that the M-60 was taken out of service which it is clearly not. We had mounted m-60's inside almost every gate bunker. Why? Because they wanted the stopping power of the 7.62 over the 5.56 when it came to stopping a moving vehicle. I never said we still carried them in the field or was used as a squad service weapon. Maybe before you make yourself look like an ass again try to know what the fuck you are talking about.

Ugh, a 240B fires a 7.62 round too, there chief.

Loved the 60...... Was looking at Ar15's today. I want one.

They were long gone by the time I got on active duty. I only saw them in national guard armsrooms and mounted on helicopters.

I never saw them in any Infantry unit I was in nor at Ranger School.

I certainly didn't see the 75th Ranger Regiment carry them in Afghanistan when we operated around each other.

I was talking about a M-60 to a Saw, chief. And the MP'S still have M-60's in service, at least at Bragg.

I was talking about a M-60 to a Saw, chief. And the MP'S still have M-60's in service, at least at Bragg.

I wasn't talking about the SAW, I was talking about the M-240B replacing the M-60, which means that active duty infantry units stopped using the M-60 around the mid-90s.

This gets funnier and funnier.

BTW, I don't care about what the MPs had. I was an infantryman, and you claim to have been one too.

They were long gone by the time I got on active duty. I only saw them in national guard armsrooms and mounted on helicopters.

I certainly didn't see the 75th Ranger Regiment carry them in Afghanistan when we operated around each other.

I fired for a Firepower demo at Bragg in 76, A bunch of congress people including Ted Kennedy was there. But the best was when I was in charge of qualifying all the M60 teams in the Battalion. Thousands of rounds left over that had to be fired up....:lol:

M 60s were in use, primarily by some Special Forces units up until the late 90s when they were phased out in favor of the M240. In the early 90s Ranger units began replacing them with the M240 variants which was completed by the mid 90s. Today they are still being used by Guard units, Navy Seals (door guns on helicopters), the Navy (in general) and the Coast Guard. They are (as of this date) no longer used by the Army.

Last edited:

I wasn't talking about the SAW, I was talking about the M-240B replacing the M-60, which means that active duty infantry units stopped using the M-60 around the mid-90s.

This gets funnier and funnier.

BTW, I don't care about what the MPs had. I was an infantryman, and you claim to have been one too.

The M-60 hasn't gone anywhere or been removed from service. It is still used quite extensively in all branches of the Armed Forces. We used the E-3 version in the Navy at my commands. We even had some old Stoner's, a Swedish K and a Madsen M50 in our armory. Special operations units have armories full of them and they've seen action to this day in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I fired for a Firepower demo at Bragg in 76, A bunch of congress people including Ted Kennedy was there. But the best was when I was in charge of qualifying all the M60 teams in the Battalion. Thousands of rounds left over that had to be fired up....:lol:

If you like the .223 cartridge then I would recommend getting a Les Bear police special or a Wilson Combat SPR-15. The stuff directly from Colt isn't the greatest in my book....but if you got $2k to blow on a nice rifle may as well get a Sig 551 or 556. I just bought a Sig 556....tac driver at 500 yards...lightweight....easy to strip and clean.

If you like the NATO 7.62 round maybe a Stoner SR-25 would do the trick.

and SEALS don't have helicopters in their inventory. Any 60 you see in a chopper belongs to the Army or Marines.

Forum List

Back