These are who we call Heroes

I would like for the OP to explain why the title? Is he saying that the US troops are endangering the child and father by fighting with them present or he is saying what fine example these men are showing as American troops by using themselves as cover to protect these civilians?

The way the liberals treat and what they say about our men and women in uniform I have to wonder.

Doggie may have his leftist issues but that is not one of them. Not all liberals feel the way you think they do. Projecting?

Nope I was stationed at Ft Benning and saw first hand how liberals treat military personal. A buddy of mine had red paint thrown at his white car as he left the Post. We all had slurs screamed at us while coming and going out the gate.

The same thing coming out of the gate on All American Blvd. Ft Bragg at the beginning of the Iraq war. A bunch of anti war liberals with their little nasty signs calling us troops all types of names.

Its standard OP for most liberals to take it out on the troops for what the US govt is ordering us to do.

:eusa_boohoo:

I would like for the OP to explain why the title? Is he saying that the US troops are endangering the child and father by fighting with them present or he is saying what fine example these men are showing as American troops by using themselves as cover to protect these civilians?

The way the liberals treat and what they say about our men and women in uniform I have to wonder.

Doggie may have his leftist issues but that is not one of them. Not all liberals feel the way you think they do. Projecting?

Nope I was stationed at Ft Benning and saw first hand how liberals treat military personal. A buddy of mine had red paint thrown at his white car as he left the Post. We all had slurs screamed at us while coming and going out the gate.

The same thing coming out of the gate on All American Blvd. Ft Bragg at the beginning of the Iraq war. A bunch of anti war liberals with their little nasty signs calling us troops all types of names.

Its standard OP for most liberals to take it out on the troops for what the US govt is ordering us to do.

I experienced much of it myself, Military brat then Vietnam era Navy service. The ones you, I and others were/are dealing with are the fringe groups. I know a fair share of liberals here on this board and elsewhere that served honorably and are proud of that service. Kinda disingenuous to lump all liberals or conservatives in the same class as the extreme nut jobs.

:eusa_boohoo:

This time I have to ask. Are you trying to be funny or just stupid? Hint: you failed at funny.

I experienced much of it myself, Military brat then Vietnam era Navy service. The ones you, I and others were/are dealing with are the fringe groups. I know a fair share of liberals here on this board and elsewhere that served honorably and are proud of that service. Kinda disingenuous to lump all liberals or conservatives in the same class as the extreme nut jobs.

And people continue to treat Lost Soul with disrespect, but only because he is a 100% flaming asshole.

And people continue to treat Lost Soul with disrespect, but only because he is a 100% flaming asshole.

Maybe, but the incidents he is describing are probably true, I've seen similar stupid shit myself. The way I read you're boo hoo response is a condoning of what these anti war dip shits are doing.

Last edited:

Wow. That's strange. Ft. Bragg is in North Carolina. Not exactly a beacon of liberalism. I was stationed at Schofield Barracks in Hawaii at the same time and never heard of anything like that happening.

Nor did any of my friends who served with the 82nd or 18th Airborne Corps out of Benning ever mention this.

Wow. That's strange. Ft. Bragg is in North Carolina. Not exactly a beacon of liberalism. I was stationed at Schofield Barracks in Hawaii at the same time and never heard of anything like that happening.

Nor did any of my friends who served with the 82nd or 18th Airborne Corps out of Benning ever mention this.

My dad was 82nd. I didn't see the incident he was talking about (could have been an isolated occurrence) but I have seen similar incidents in the past in other areas, especially in the 70s. I saw small demonstrations outside some of the bases here in the DC metro area during the Gulf wars by small fringe groups who were yelling insults and carrying insulting signs.
Besides, just because some area is not a "bastion of liberalism" as you so eloquently put it doesn't negate the existence of radical liberal elements in the vicinity. Figured that would be obvious.

Last edited:

I have some pretty good friends who are "liberals". They are fucking nuts but fun to be around! One of them cooks real good too.:eek:

My dad was 82nd. I didn't see the incident he was talking about (could have been an isolated occurrence) but I have seen similar incidents in the past in other areas, especially in the 70s. I saw small demonstrations outside some of the bases here in the DC metro area during the Gulf wars by small fringe groups who were yelling insults and carrying insulting signs.
Besides, just because some area is not a "bastion of liberalism" as you so eloquently put it doesn't negate the existence of radical liberal elements in the vicinity. Figured that would be obvious.

And I think those groups you're talking about represent "liberals" about as well as those disgusting Westboro Baptist freaks represent "conservatives". Some people are beyond the political and into the insane.

And I think those groups you're talking about represent "liberals" about as well as those disgusting Westboro Baptist freaks represent "conservatives". Some people are beyond the political and into the insane.
I don't think Westboro freaks are conservatives, but your point is taken.

Exactly my point.

I don't think Westboro freaks are conservatives, but your point is taken.

They claim to be, but then again the far left loonies claim to be liberal. Neither really fits if you ask me. Batshit Crazy is a much better description - on both counts.

amazing....... kudos for that soldier, its soldiers like that, that make me proud to be an american.

You bet your ass they do.

Human shields. Don't think so. Civilians afraid of being shot and mucho glad to have the American soldiers to keep them safe.

Makes us all proud to be Americans. You bet your ass.

First, this is not the 1970s.

Secondly, there is always a degree of bad-will between the base community and the local community. If this incident did happen, it doesn't automatically make it a political statement.

Third, protesting is one thing. Destruction of property is quite another.

Fourth, since all bases were locked down after 9-11 and the gates were manned, I am curious as to how a vandal with a can of paint could carry out such a covert operation.

Incidents like this (and the veterans getting spit on) rise to the level of urban legend simply because they can't be independently corroborated. The truth could be exactly as the OP claims, total bullshit, or anywhere in between.

Well, duh.

Secondly, there is always a degree of bad-will between the base community and the local community. If this incident did happen, it doesn't automatically make it a political statement.
Again, well duh.

Double again, well duh.

Fourth, since all bases were locked down after 9-11 and the gates were manned, I am curious as to how a vandal with a can of paint could carry out such a covert operation.
I don't remember him stating it was "on base". Maybe just outside the gate.

Incidents like this (and the veterans getting spit on) rise to the level of urban legend simply because they can't be independently corroborated. The truth could be exactly as the OP claims, total bullshit, or anywhere in between.
Third well duh.

Read my posts again, essentially I'm agreeing with you but adding aspects you appear to be omitting, like the possibility it did occur. A possibility based on past experiences. Do you honestly think radical nut jobs have changed much since the 70s??!!

ok, who wants to educate me? what am i missing? where are the heroes?

Its the soldier using his body as a shield to cover the civilians.

Looks like to me they're in a firefight and the civilians are scared to death.

The soldier is just doing his job.

Sometimes it takes balls to do your job.

Last edited:

Agreed.

I have had some "issues" with Doggie, but I took his OP at face value and I agree with his assessment that the image reflects some fundamental heroics.

Well, duh.

Again, well duh.

Double again, well duh.

I don't remember him stating it was "on base". Maybe just outside the gate.

Third well duh.

Read my posts again, essentially I'm agreeing with you but adding aspects you appear to be omitting, like the possibility it did occur. A possibility based on past experiences. Do you honestly think radical nut jobs have changed much since the 70s??!!

If it occurred right outside of the base, that means some "liberal protester" was able to get close enough to the gates of a secured facility, launch a bucket of paint, and get away with it in front of some of the best soldiers in the Army.

Having had to pull gate duty (an unpleasant detail that fell on the infantry at Schofield), I have a hard time believing that. We caught people trying to sneak methamphetamine into the base. We'd have no problem responding to a vandal. The whole point is to secure the base.

At any rate, the problem with all these stories is, again, they can't be corroborated. That means it's basically up to you to believe or not believe the poster. I don't believe it. I'd be happy to look at a link or something that indicates the police were involved, but I doubt it exists.

Like I said, Hawaii is hostile to the military, and has been long before the war, and I never had an unpleasant experience with the locals during my almost three years there.

Actually, I take that back. I got screamed at by a bunch of military personal who felt they didn't have to follow the rules and one civilian who we refused to let on base to try and find her daughter (she didn't have ID or an escort). She called us "baby-killers" and sped off.

Not that any of us cared.

For one, the 82nd isn't at Benning. Ranger and Airborne schools yes, 82nd NO. So maybe if you are going to try and "OUT" someone maybe you should know what the fuck your talking about because it makes you look stupid.

BTW, All American is partly on Ft Bragg but runs into the city of Fayetteville NC. The gate, which was an open post up until 9/11 (funny you wouldn't know this because most Army Posts were "open"), is All American expressway. Once out the gate the MP's cannot do a damn thing on civilian state property. Unless they come on to govt property, which is about 50 yards before you get to the gate, the MP's can do a damn thing if a civilian is protesting off govt property. Funny you wouldnt know this.

And Fayetteville has its share of liberals seeing that Fayetteville State is in town.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back