"There's No Discipline! No Respect!"

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
I keep hearing people who haven't set foot in a public school in decades - if ever - declaring with great certainty that there is "absolutely NO discipline or respect, etc. in the public schools!" I'm here to tell you they're wrong. Are there problems with all that sort of thing regarding some students? Of course. There always has been. Kids are kids, and at a certain age some are not so good at impulse control. This is not new. Backinmydayitis makes some people say some foolish things.

As I've mentioned many times, I work in a (very) urban school district. Just the sort that seems to scare the pants of some loud mouths. I get "yes sir" and "no sir," "thank you, sir" -ed all day long every day.

Discipline? There are a number of students on my rosters who have been out for a rather long time now on suspension. The school where I am teaching night school is a school specifically dedicated (during the day classes) to educating students who have been "invited" to leave the other high schools in the district. A police officer is stationed in the school full time. Yes sir, no sir, thank you sir still applies there as well.

Yes times change, but not as much as we sometimes want to convince ourselves.

Oh and in case you're wondering, no "woke shit" is going on that I have seen.

I keep hearing people who haven't set foot in a public school in decades - if ever - declaring with great certainty that there is "absolutely NO discipline or respect, etc. in the public schools!" I'm here to tell you they're wrong. Are there problems with all that sort of thing regarding some students? Of course. There always has been. Kids are kids, and at a certain age some are not so good at impulse control. This is not new. Backinmydayitis makes some people say some foolish things.

As I've mentioned many times, I work in a (very) urban school district. Just the sort that seems to scare the pants of some loud mouths. I get "yes sir" and "no sir," "thank you, sir" -ed all day long every day.

Discipline? There are a number of students on my rosters who have been out for a rather long time now on suspension. The school where I am teaching night school is a school specifically dedicated (during the day classes) to educating students who have been "invited" to leave the other high schools in the district. A police officer is stationed in the school full time. Yes sir, no sir, thank you sir still applies there as well.

Do you think it's a bigger issue in America than in other modern countries?

And in fact, is modernity linked to the problem?

Ancient Greece had the same issues with discipline and respect.
Socrates:

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

Plato:
"What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law.They riot in the streets, inflamed with wild notions.

The first time I was robbed was when I was eight years old and two kids much older than me rolled me for my school trip money. That was over 40 years ago, in nice, polite, quant Canada. The world is only getting , more selfish and soulless. Thank the internet and human arrogance wth technology for mucn of this.

Last edited:

Measure of impulse control is also a standard measure for overall IQ. Coincidence? I think not....

Do you think it's a bigger issue in America than in other modern countries?

And in fact, is modernity linked to the problem?
Older people complain about teenagers just about everywhere around the world and they always have and they always will. That said, anyone teenager or adult tends to adjust to their environment. Put someone in an orderly environment and they will behave in an orderly way. Put someone in a disorderly environment and they will behave in a disorderly way.

I would not trust your word as far as I can throw you

But I have a cousin who is married to a former teacher in the Duncanville School District

He told me conditions are so bad that he used to lock himself in a broom closet and cry like a baby

Under those conditions teachers cant teach and students cant learn

Unfortunately the public education is controlled by liberals who are incompetent but highly politicized

Its a rotten failed system that needs to be torn down and all the libs run out of town

....t I have a cousin who is married to a former teacher in the Duncanville School District

He told me conditions are so bad that he used to lock himself in a broom closet and cry like a baby

Anyone hiding and crying like a baby in a closet has no place working at that job (or likely any other).

Good for you then.
What city area are you in or near?

Not all schools are hell on earth right now, no. There are some principals with actual principles that keep their schools safeguarded.

And we know the media blows everything out of context and lies, construes, and fakes a lot of everything they spew out in public.

Most schools, with actual, real, professional principals are mostly still set in their ways of how things have always been done.
That doesn't mean they WON'T change or cave in under enough pressure, or even be taken over by the lunatic left.

Just be glad you are where you are right now.

You expect respect under these leftists woke savages we are living under OP??

It ain't going to happen.

but surely......you know that.

You expect respect under these leftists woke savages we are living under OP??

It ain't going to happen.

but surely......you know that.
Did you read the opening post?

Forum List

Back