The youth: Is 18 to young to buy a gun?

There are plenty of kids who know how to handle a firearm safely. That doesn't mean they should be able to go buy one and be personally responsible for it. It's fine if parents want to take their kids to the shooting range or out in the woods to shoot targets or to hunt. It's these laws that are outdated related to age of consents that are really bothersome.
so they have a right to shoot it, but not to buy it? how do you justify that line? You know that kids raid mom and dad's liquor cabinet and steal money, a gun in the home is a gun in the home no matter who bought it. that's just silliness and sorely sad.

If they are under adult supervision, there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to use a gun. They shouldn't be able to go out and purchase one on their own though, especially considering that most of them are still completely reliant on their parents to take care of them in every way.

Yeah, we want to only be allowed to hunt with our mommy and daddy. You know how kids love only doing things with their parents. Great way to influence people to follow the law

Well, then they don't have to go and do it. Besides that, it is a good way to spend time with your older children and bond with them, and keep those family bonds strong. That is another part of the problem. A lot of parents are isolated from their children's lives.

As I said, my father was a deadbeat and my mother was always working to support us. So I'm just screwed? Sorry kaz, only the advantaged kids who have two reliable parents at home get this perk. Government is going to screw you ... again.

Yeah, thanks.

You have so far produced zero justification for this policy other than the utterly irrelevant fact that under 21 year olds commit murder in inner cities, so you want to punish responsible conservative kids who grew up outside the city so you feel better about yourself

And personal anecdotes don't mean shit in a debate. Stick to facts and statistics. While I am not calling you a liar, I have no way of knowing whether you are being truthful or not. Also, personal anecdotes don't tell the WHOLE story. We look at 18-year-olds and what MOST of them are doing. We make rules/laws that address age groups in a general manner and not every single specific individual, as that would be IMPOSSIBLE.

It's like you are telling me that I have no right to defend myself because some loon shot up a school, and I have to rely on the government to come and rescue me if I am in a bad situation? How can you NOT see that as a TOTAL VIOLATION of a natural human right? All of you who want to remain defenseless, by all means, go ahead. You cannot force other people to join you.

As long as one is over 18?

18 years old is still a child today. All you have to do is observe a group of 18-year-old boys (and I emphasize BOYS) and it is clear.
have you looked at the millions of 18 year olds that have been drafted over the course of our country and how hundreds of thousands have died defending our country? You really think they looked different? what a shame.

Yeah, we can give them weapons and teach them to kill cleanly and efficantly, but no, no beer, no guns, but you can sit there and make policy with your vote. You can do that. We can also tax your wages to pay social security you will never get to collect, but no, no guns and no shooting sports for you until 21.

I thought I already explained my position to you? Do I have to explain it again? Really? Quit doping. It is making you into a dope.

Kids seem to have regressed in the last twenty years. Perhaps no guns, voting or booze until 21. I might make an exception for a young person with a job and a home under 21.

The way I see it, you can't make kids more responsible than past generations since they've become more dependent and are staying in the home for extended periods until almost 30! How do we make them responsible for much of anything that's a victimless crime? :1041: :71: :agree:

Put them out on their ass so they have to work. Fixed!

^^^

This statement says SO MUCH about you. Not a responsible or caring parent. It's people like you who should never be parents. When you are a parent, you love and care for your child and would NEVER throw him out with nowhere to go. What in the hell problem is THAT solving?

Kids seem to have regressed in the last twenty years. Perhaps no guns, voting or booze until 21. I might make an exception for a young person with a job and a home under 21.

The way I see it, you can't make kids more responsible than past generations since they've become more dependent and are staying in the home for extended periods until almost 30! How do we make them responsible for much of anything that's a victimless crime? :1041: :71: :agree:

Put them out on their ass so they have to work. Fixed!

I don't like this guy . . . He is not living in the REAL world where it is damn hard to make ends meet, and if you are an 18-year-old CHILD with a minimal education (if you have even GRADUATED high school yet!!) is not going to have a very good life.

If 18 to young to buy a gun then it is too young to vote!
If 18 to young to buy a gun then it is too young to to be drafted
If 18 to young to buy a gun then it is too young to join the military!
If 18 to young to buy a gun then it is too young to drink or gamble!!

If 18 to young to buy a gun then it is too young to vote!
If 18 to young to buy a gun then it is too young to to be drafted
If 18 to young to buy a gun then it is too young to join the military!
If 18 to young to buy a gun then it is too young to drink or gamble!!

Exactly. Way too young and dumb for all of those things.

SCIENCE!

At What Age Is The Brain Fully Developed? - Mental Health Daily

It is widely debated as to which age the brain is considered “fully mature” or developed. In the past, many experts believed that the brain may have been done developing in the mid to late teens. Then along came some evidence to suggest that development may last until at least age 20. These days, a consensus of neuroscientists agree that brain development likely persists until at least the mid-20s – possibly until the 30s.

The fact that our brains aren’t developed until the mid 20s means that “legal adults” (those age 18+) are allowed to make adult decisions, without fully mature brains. Someone who is 18 may make riskier decisions than someone in their mid-20s in part due to lack of experience, but primarily due to an underdeveloped brain. All behaviors and experiences you endure until the age of 25 have potential to impact your developing brain.

At what age is the brain fully developed?
Although brain development is subject to significant individual variation, most experts suggest that the brain is fully developed by age 25. For some people, brain development may be complete prior to age 25, while for others it may end after age 25. The mid-20s or “25” is just an average age given as checkpoint for when the brain has likely become mature.

It may seem logical that those aged 18 to 25 are completely mature, the brain still is maturing – specifically the area known as the “prefrontal cortex.” Changes occurring between ages 18 and 25 are essentially a continued process of brain development that started during puberty. When you’re 18, you’re roughly halfway through the entire stage of development. The prefrontal cortex doesn’t have nearly the functional capacity at age 18 as it does at 25.

This means that some people may have major struggles with impulsive decisions and planning behavior to reach a goal. The brain’s reward system tends to reach a high level of activation during puberty, then gradually drifts back to normal activation when a person reaches roughly the age of 25. Adults over the age of 25 tend to feel less sensitive to the influence of peer pressure and have a much easier time handling it.

SCIENCE!

It is widely debated as to which age the brain is considered “fully mature” or developed. In the past, many experts believed that the brain may have been done developing in the mid to late teens. Then along came some evidence to suggest that development may last until at least age 20. These days, a consensus of neuroscientists agree that brain development likely persists until at least the mid-20s – possibly until the 30s.

The fact that our brains aren’t developed until the mid 20s means that “legal adults” (those age 18+) are allowed to make adult decisions, without fully mature brains. Someone who is 18 may make riskier decisions than someone in their mid-20s in part due to lack of experience, but primarily due to an underdeveloped brain. All behaviors and experiences you endure until the age of 25 have potential to impact your developing brain.

Although brain development is subject to significant individual variation, most experts suggest that the brain is fully developed by age 25. For some people, brain development may be complete prior to age 25, while for others it may end after age 25. The mid-20s or “25” is just an average age given as checkpoint for when the brain has likely become mature.

It may seem logical that those aged 18 to 25 are completely mature, the brain still is maturing – specifically the area known as the “prefrontal cortex.” Changes occurring between ages 18 and 25 are essentially a continued process of brain development that started during puberty. When you’re 18, you’re roughly halfway through the entire stage of development. The prefrontal cortex doesn’t have nearly the functional capacity at age 18 as it does at 25.

This means that some people may have major struggles with impulsive decisions and planning behavior to reach a goal. The brain’s reward system tends to reach a high level of activation during puberty, then gradually drifts back to normal activation when a person reaches roughly the age of 25. Adults over the age of 25 tend to feel less sensitive to the influence of peer pressure and have a much easier time handling it.

maybe the brain never stops developing? people develop new skills all the time late in life.

SCIENCE!

maybe the brain never stops developing? people develop new skills all the time late in life.

And obviously there are people whose brains have NEVER developed at all! :71:

Anyways, while some 18-year-olds MAY be mature, experienced enough to be a "responsible adult," the VAST majority of them are still children at 18 years old. They are still self centered, they still think they are indestructible, they don't consider the consequences of their actions, especially if it interferes with some instant gratifications.

SCIENCE!

And obviously there are people whose brains have NEVER developed at all! :71:

Exactly

Anyways, while some 18-year-olds MAY be mature, experienced enough to be a "responsible adult," the VAST majority of them are still children at 18 years old. They are still self centered, they still think they are indestructible, they don't consider the consequences of their actions, especially if it interferes with some instant gratifications.
I'll be 62 in April and I still feel like a kid.

18 year old's want to be 30 and 30 year old's want to be 18.

Well, everyone here must know by now that I am an unabashed 2nd amendment supporter. However, I do not have any issues with this law. I think the age of everything should be raised to 21 at least though. It's pretty easy to see how immature and thoughtless a lot of teens can be on a regular basis.
So they can go to war, but should be stripped of their Constitutional rights? Nope.
I'm talking about the the styling of assault rifles... No one under 21 should be allowed to have one dot-dot-dot or any civilian over 21. You people have totally ruined the country the last 35 years.
What is an assault rifle?
I'm talking about the styling of what are called assault rifles before we get into that dhoopdupe bulshit... The styling b*******... The Styling I think is bad, worse than anything else.
so the gun *looks* bad, ergo should be banned?

is this *really* want you're saying?
Yes. Just the kind of styling that makes the unstable think they are in a video game or are a nut job Rambo.

Well, everyone here must know by now that I am an unabashed 2nd amendment supporter. However, I do not have any issues with this law. I think the age of everything should be raised to 21 at least though. It's pretty easy to see how immature and thoughtless a lot of teens can be on a regular basis.
So they can go to war, but should be stripped of their Constitutional rights? Nope.
I'm talking about the the styling of assault rifles... No one under 21 should be allowed to have one dot-dot-dot or any civilian over 21. You people have totally ruined the country the last 35 years.
You people? Dems that murder LEO's? Bernie supporters that attempt to assinate GOP members? I agree liberalism has morphed into a mental disorder.
Insane people murder people, not Democrats. No I'm talking about the GOP wrecking the non Rich, bloating the rich, giving us all these damn guns, propagandizing the dupes into hate like yours, wrecking our infrastructure and the world economy and the mid East that's all....
How about Seth Rich?
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I heard a really good one today on the Morning Answer 560 WIND in Chicago from a text they received from a listener. Why should we genuflect to the young?

I quote, "If you don't want someone 18 years old to have guns or drive, why would you want a 16 or 17 year old to set public policy?

1:13:05 on the podcast for 3/12/2018.

This dude nailed it!!!!

Where is a '16 or 17 year old to set public policy'?
That is the proposal Democrats increasingly support.

I'm talking about the styling of what are called assault rifles before we get into that dhoopdupe bulshit... The styling b*******... The Styling I think is bad, worse than anything else.

Yes. Just the kind of styling that makes the unstable think they are in a video game or are a nut job Rambo.
Your cowardice and ability to lie is your main quality. The 2nd was always about being able to resist a tyrannical government. So instead of running away like muslims are doing, or bending over like the English and French and Australians have done, we don't have too and won't.

and when was the last crime committed by someone who thinks they're in a video game?

strawman argument here or prove it via facts, not your rampant speculation.

Forum List

Back