The Wise Obama

Somebody tell me why a non Christian President would be a bad thing?

He would not share the same values as the vast majority of Americans. It would be even worse if he lied about it.
I'm not trying to pick a fight, really, but I'm confused by what you mean by values.

I know some would consider belief in God an important value to share...but Muslims believe in God.

I'm also not sure that "Christian values" neccessarilly require someone to be a practicing Christian. Almost everyone I've ever known, regardless of their religion thinks lies, adultery, killing, and stealing are bad.

Less than 1/2 of Americans (42%) believe in creationism that excludes evolution

While 75% of Americans believe the bible is the word of God, only 28% believe it is the "literal" word of God.

I won't go on much longer, and I could, but I really want to know what values, that a Christian possesses, that are critical to being a President who represents the majority of Americans.
Apparently Obama and his supporters are in that almost everyone you know thinks lying is bad. He does and they enable him to continue to do so by covering for him when he does.
Just to make sure I understand....a critical value for a President would include not lieing?...and supporters of him/her, wouldn't cover for him/her?

Sure. Now go on about how other Presidents do it so it's OK for Obama to do it.
No, I won't do that, because it sounds like you may be under the impression that other Presidents have told lies. Though I can't remember any who haven't, there is room for the idea that some do more than others. Now if you think there are any that haven't...we're probably done....

But...Islam also teaches that lies are sins, and we would never elect a Muslim President.

So I'm still looking for "exactly what" a Christian President would do, that a non Christian President wouldn't do, that is necessary to properly represent the majority of Americans

He would not share the same values as the vast majority of Americans. It would be even worse if he lied about it.
I'm not trying to pick a fight, really, but I'm confused by what you mean by values.

I know some would consider belief in God an important value to share...but Muslims believe in God.

I'm also not sure that "Christian values" neccessarilly require someone to be a practicing Christian. Almost everyone I've ever known, regardless of their religion thinks lies, adultery, killing, and stealing are bad.

While 75% of Americans believe the bible is the word of God, only 28% believe it is the "literal" word of God.

I won't go on much longer, and I could, but I really want to know what values, that a Christian possesses, that are critical to being a President who represents the majority of Americans.

I guess it depends on what is meant by a "non Christian" President. Obviously, Christianity itself has many sects and specific beliefs. There are also other religions which share many Christian values (e.g., Judaism). Even some "agnostics" share these values in a less defined way. Thus a sort of continuum exists.

However, there are some belief systems that also hold values that are antithetical to American Christian values such as religious freedom and separation of church and state (e.g., Islam). Others deny the existence of any external basis for morality, thereby eschewing any common standards for morality or personal behavior (e.g., Atheism).

I believe that the President should believe that there is an intelligence greater than our own, that the Ten Commandments represent the basis for our laws, that Jesus had a divine message, and that the United States is a unique country due to God's grace and the honest efforts of our founders to make it a reality.

I guess it depends on what is meant by a "non Christian" President. Obviously, Christianity itself has many sects and specific beliefs. There are also other religions which share many Christian values (e.g., Judaism). Even some "agnostics" share these values in a less defined way. Thus a sort of continuum exists.

However, there are some belief systems that also hold values that are antithetical to American Christian values such as religious freedom and separation of church and state (e.g., Islam). Others deny the existence of any external basis for morality, thereby eschewing any common standards for morality or personal behavior (e.g., Atheism).

I believe that the President should believe that there is an intelligence greater than our own, that the Ten Commandments represent the basis for our laws, that Jesus had a divine message, and that the United States is a unique country due to God's grace and the honest efforts of our founders to make it a reality.
There are 2 Muslim hose reps, Kieth Ellison (MN), and Andre Carson (IN), and a handfull of state legislature reps now. So far none of them support Sharia law.

If they became more numerous, do you think they might try to implement Sharia law?

Oh!...and by non Christian, I mean one of the religions that would teach values contrary to a majority of Americans

There are 2 Muslim hose reps, Kieth Ellison (MN), and Andre Carson (IN), and a handfull of state legislature reps now. So far none of them support Sharia law.

If they became more numerous, do you think they might try to implement Sharia law?

Oh!...and by non Christian, I mean one of the religions that would teach values contrary to a majority of Americans

?

?
Well, you put forth the notion that a non Christian President might "not share the same values as the vast majority of Americans"

I'm trying to find out exactly what those values are...and what religions don't have them.

?
Well, you put forth the notion that a non Christian President might "not share the same values as the vast majority of Americans"

I'm trying to find out exactly what those values are...and what religions don't have them.

Sorry, I thought you were interested in a serious dialogue instead of feigning ignorance. I am not an expert on every religion in the world, nor are you.

?

Sorry, I thought you were interested in a serious dialogue instead of feigning ignorance. I am not an expert on every religion in the world, nor are you.
Then why did you even answer my question, if you weren't interested in the resulting dialog?...which included...elaboration...?

?

Then why did you even answer my question, if you weren't interested in the resulting dialog?...which included...elaboration...?

Do YOU have any thoughts on the subject, or is this just a game of 100 questions?

the dictionary gives meaning to the term, if you live in a glass house, don't throw stones....I posted the link with the ''meaning'' that was in the dictionary:

people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones
saying
› This means that you should not criticize other people for bad qualities in their character that you have yourself.

That's not MY definition, it's the dictionary's, Cambridge.

And this is what Christ continually taught through these parables..

John 8, these men were criticizing this adulteress, and ready to stone her, as their religion required, (so they thought).... Jesus did not stop them by saying, NO, don't do that...don't kill her.

He said something much more powerful, He told them, ''Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone''.... and wrote something in the sand....many believe he wrote those among them who also committed adultery or the name of the man she committed adultery with.... either way, they got the point....don't throw stones in glass houses if you are in one.... or, don't be a hypocrite, clean up your own act, your own sin, before you cast down another sinner...(especially for the same sin, you have committed yourself, is the way it is interpreted by many of religious hierarchy)

The same with the parable about trying to pull a piece of sawdust out of another sinner's eye, when you have a plank of wood in your own... it's CHRIST'S Biblical message, to all of us.

You gave your opinion that it fit what was in the Bible
the glass house parable or 'saying' has the same meaning as the parable with stoning the adulteress and the parable about trying to pull a piece of sawdust out of anothers eye when you have a plank of wood in your own eye, remove the plank from your own eye, before trying to take anything out of another eye.

I agree the throwing stones in glass houses parable is not in the Bible, but its message is throughout the Gospel.
Obama said it was from the Bible.
He lied and idiots fall all over themselves protecting the fool, just like always.

Apparently Obama and his supporters are in that almost everyone you know thinks lying is bad. He does and they enable him to continue to do so by covering for him when he does.
Just to make sure I understand....a critical value for a President would include not lieing?...and supporters of him/her, wouldn't cover for him/her?

No, I won't do that, because it sounds like you may be under the impression that other Presidents have told lies. Though I can't remember any who haven't, there is room for the idea that some do more than others. Now if you think there are any that haven't...we're probably done....

But...Islam also teaches that lies are sins, and we would never elect a Muslim President.

So I'm still looking for "exactly what" a Christian President would do, that a non Christian President wouldn't do, that is necessary to properly represent the majority of Americans
Islam also teaches muslims to lie, it is a form of jihad. And yes I have researched that, it is in the Quran.

?

Do YOU have any thoughts on the subject, or is this just a game of 100 questions?
Sure I have thoughts.

I don't believe Islam is antithetical to American Christian values. Just some Muslims are.

I believe people can be moral without an external basis for morality, it helps, but one can be moral without it. Maybe not me, but I know some who are

I don't find it necessary that the President should believe that there is an intelligence greater than our own, and that the Ten Commandments represent the basis for our laws.

Jesus's message was exactly what the people of Judea needed at that time, and it stands on it's own merits, even without the divinity, but the divinity does help.

I don't think the United States is a unique country due to God's grace, I think it was purely the honest efforts of our founders that made it a reality. I don't think God favors the US over other countries now, or different peoples throughout time.

Islam also teaches muslims to lie, it is a form of jihad. And yes I have researched that, it is in the Quran.
I hadn't heard that before.

The Quran also calls the Quran the great deceiver.

Sure I have thoughts.

I don't believe Islam is antithetical to American Christian values. Just some Muslims are.

I believe people can be moral without an external basis for morality, it helps, but one can be moral without it. Maybe not me, but I know some who are

I don't find it necessary that the President should believe that there is an intelligence greater than our own, and that the Ten Commandments represent the basis for our laws.

Jesus's message was exactly what the people of Judea needed at that time, and it stands on it's own merits, even without the divinity, but the divinity does help.

I don't think the United States is a unique country due to God's grace, I think it was purely the honest efforts of our founders that made it a reality. I don't think God favors the US over other countries now, or different peoples throughout time.

Thanks for your input-

I am no religious scholar, but it my understanding that Islam calls for forced conversion, Sharia Law and political theocracy, all antithetical to American Christian values.

I find that many nonreligious people nevertheless adopt Judeo-Christian morality as if it was their own.

I value philosophical humility and knowledge of history in a President.

I think the United States is unique in that it was formed from disparate religious colonies that put aside their differences to agree upon the principle of freedom to worship God as one pleases.

I would hope that our Presidents share these views.

Regards,

Sure I have thoughts.

Thanks for your input-

I am no religious scholar, but it my understanding that Islam calls for forced conversion, Sharia Law and political theocracy, all antithetical to American Christian values.

I find that many nonreligious people nevertheless adopt Judeo-Christian morality as if it was their own.

I think the United States is unique in that it was formed from disparate religious colonies that put aside their differences to agree upon the principle of freedom to worship God as one pleases.

Regards,
Well, if Obama didn't espouse all of that, I wouldn't support him. In fact, I've never supported him, I just stick up for him when people heap unfair criticizm on him, which is most of the time. I did the same for Bush

It's called taqiyyah and is taught in the Quran. Lying to your adversaries is encouraged.

Sure I have thoughts.

Thanks for your input-

Regards,
Go to the Israel/Palestine forum or Mideast forum and you will get an education about Islam, the cancer of the world.

It's called taqiyyah and is taught in the Quran. Lying to your adversaries is encouraged.
My room mate does that. He owns an ad agency, and a few dental practices. He's always BSing the competition at golf matches

Sure I have thoughts.

Thanks for your input-

Regards,
Go to the Israel/Palestine forum or Mideast forum and you will get an education about Islam, the cancer of the world.
You may remember me...I'm the guy who has a Turkish Muslim ex wife. So I think I know all I wanna know about Muslims

Forum List

Back