The Watcher - Miniseries Malpractice

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

Historically, a "mystery" is a fictional story where the writer weaves a web of intrigue, and explains it at the end. If well done, the reader (viewer) looks back and realizes that there were clues inserted into scenes and plot lines, and if s/he were truly paying attention, s/he might have figured it out before the revelation in the final "chapter."

But as is the case with contemporary music and modern "art" today's practitioners lack the talent to do the hard work of their craft, and just throw together some cool-seeming garbage and come up with a product that is ultimately unsatisfactory. And the audience is often so unsophisticated that it fails to see that it has been, collectively, had. In this case, one is reminded of the long gone, not-fondly-remembered series called, "Lost."

It is not possible to present "spoilers" for this particular miniseries because the mystery is never explained. Oh, they present explanations, but then contradict them ("She was lying her ass off") or they simply don't conform to what has been presented during the course of the program. We are told that, since it is based on a true story (words that make me cringe), it's OK that the perpetrators of the various micro-atrocities - no one is actually harmed by anything - are never clearly identified. The series ends not knowing who the Watcher is (or possible, who they are).

And there is the usual shortcoming of characters not behaving as humans behave. The Jennifer Coolidge character plays a real estate agent who is so transparently phony and evil that NOBODY would ever exchange more than a grunt with her, and yet the Naomi Watts character not only gives credence to everything she says or suggests, but keeps treating her as a best friend. Not fucking believable.

At one point a local couple perpetrate a murder-suicide hoax (rather transparently, in fact), then show up a few weeks later saying, in effect, "Never mind," and the Authorities never come back and question them? Gimmeafukkinbreak.

DO NOT waste your time on this bit of garbage. If you have already started, quit. When you've seen the whole thing, you'll know.

And they are talking about a SEASON TWO???????

I remember a few months ago starting the series but never finishing because it was just as bad as the review said it was.

It started off well. It's main hook was to keep you wondering what is going on.... so you could find out what is going on. Only... you don't.
I agree there was a lot off peculiar things that were simply not explained at all, in fact completely reverse the outcome of something without explaining how that is.
I suppose this is what life would be like in the world if everyone was insane.

Forum List

Back