The value of Community college

BlueJay28

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2014
My friend John asked me today at work what I think of these "Fraternities", and places like Quaker "friends" schools, and certain special clubs like Mensa, and the like.

I said this.

Its all bullshit.

Its nothing more than a discriminatory institution that rewards potentially disgusting and evil people, and always does put the students that it rewards... above the rules.

That's all it is.

You're a whole lot better off going though the good ol' fashioned standard public school system, and then community
college.

You can do a whole lot more than what you think, with community college.
There isn't a damn thing wrong with it, and in fact, if you apply yourself and make the education worth it, its better than all that other bullshit.

There have been doctors, good doctors.. that started out in community college.

Excellent RN's come out of community college, CEOs have come out of community college.

Great nutritionists and Psychologists have too, and some of the best New York lawyers in the country.

There is also absolutely no question, or controversy about the educational value or accreditation of community college, unlike most colleges in America.

The truth of the matter is, most of these multi hundred thousand dollar schools are loaded with some of America's biggest assholes and criminals, and they are simply not as good as the common community college and their affiliates.

There is simply no such a thing, as a greater prestige than good solid footing... anything held as such is too good to be true, and the quality of the people within institutions that are called "prestigious" are full of assholes that a school principal who is also an asshole likes...

And in modern society where money only gets you so far..
Most people in these so called "prestigious institutions", fail at life within the first five years of graduation from school, out in the real world and they find themselves stuck in small and isolated groups and pretty poor too.

That's what I said.

Last edited:
I agree with you. I started my college degree at a Community College because my parents could not afford 4 years at the State University. I got my Associates and transferred and finished my degree at University of Maryland at nearly half the cost. I think the point you may have missed is that the 4 year degree is still the gold standard but you can greatly reduce the cost and not sacrifice much if any of the quality since you are taking Freshman and Sophomore level courses at the Junior College.

I agree. I think.

I attended the Community College of Allegheny County (Pittsburgh) for two years right out of the Army, then transferred to the University of Pittsburgh, and Duquesne University School of Law.

For a good student, "community college" can be a great way to get the first two years of college in a cost-effective way and with little pressure. But it's undeniable that community colleges are also home to a lot of people who have no business being in any real college. Professors, too.

Also, while most state colleges will accept CC credits, the higher up the "esteem" ladder you go, the less likely it is that you will be able to transfer your CC credits. Top schools have very few slots for third-year students transferring in (unless you have an African-sounding name and a non-U.S. passport), and the chances of a CC student transferring in to, for example, Columbia, are almost non-existent.

The point is that there are two ways to look at getting an education. You can get a great education at a community college, then a state 4-year school for the B.A., but the World places a low value on those degrees...even if you are the most knowledgeable and intelligent person in the world. If you want a degree that the corporate world will value highly, the word "state" had better not be in the name of the school.

Many of my friends have wasted tens of thousands of dollars sending their kids (mediocre students) to private colleges for 4 or 5 years, only to get a degree in "Hospitality Management," when they could have saved a great deal by sending those same kids to CC and a state college, with essentially the same result.

Working moms feel guilty about not being home all the time, and they want to prove their "love" for their children by sending them to expensive colleges. But the kids don't appreciate it anyway; they feel like they are entitled.

Generalize, anyone?

I went to a four year school for my bachelor's, my best friend went to community college for his first two years. He's a now a doctor (GP)-I'm not...just saying.

My son went to Community College and rather than pay $35,000 a year for entry level courses, he worked and went to class at night paying around $3000 a year and living at home

After two years, all of his credits transferred to Drexel University where he graduated

All fraternities are bullshit

Another advantage of community college is that 18-19 year olds don't always know what they want to do with their life. If you go to community college and realize you have chosen the wrong field you have wasted maybe $3000-$4000

If you go to a major university and decide to change majors you have blown $35,000 to $50,000

Another advantage of community college is that 18-19 year olds don't always know what they want to do with their life. If you go to community college and realize you have chosen the wrong field you have wasted maybe $3000-$4000

If you go to a major university and decide to change majors you have blown $35,000 to $50,000

I agree with everything except for the last comment. When I switched majors after my 1st year it didn't cost me anything extra, because the first 2 years you take pre-reqs for the school (for the most part).

I agree with everything except for the last comment. When I switched majors after my 1st year it didn't cost me anything extra, because the first 2 years you take pre-reqs for the school (for the most part).
It depends on what your major is and how many credits carry over to your new major

I know it proves nothing but I still find it interesting.

I was the only one of a group of five long-time friends who did NOT join a fraternity back in the day.

Today I am the only one (of the five) left alive.

Forum List

Back