The Upside Down World of Labor Unions

Shortage of lineman,,,,,,wonder if it has anything to do with the way they treat newbies, Knew a guy who was an apprentice lineman. Had to drive from north metro to Iowa and back everyday while they fucked with his schedule and head, finally told em to shove it and became a truck driver.
I agree. Some linemen treat their apprentices like shit. It can be a long 3 years but the work is difficult and dangerous and some linemen want to make sure the apprentice is dedicated to his work before he becomes part of the team.

Unions are not unlike the horse-drawn wagon. They were a great improvement over walking. Today they are less than worthless.

The gist of the thread is that one knows the requirements when one is hired and should simply accept that.

12 hour days at $2.00 a day is what people were supposed to just accept according to the argument.

One refuses to understand that business is a two way street. If every single Ford employee had just quit as opposed to simply accepting the long hours and low wages, where would Ford be today?

I agree. Some linemen treat their apprentices like shit. It can be a long 3 years but the work is difficult and dangerous and some linemen want to make sure the apprentice is dedicated to his work before he becomes part of the team.
Costs money to train people, to piss it away cause ya wanna be an ass seems counterproductive.

Last edited:

I've had many jobs in my life, both crappy and fine, both private sector and public. So I speak with considerable experience.

When you apply for a job, you have some idea of what it is, what it pays, and so on. If you are hired, they explain to you the details of your compensation, benefits, and working conditions. Usually there are some surprises, pleasant and otherwise, but at the latest, within a month you understand what you have gotten yourself into.

If you really don't like it, or if you have a chance to do better someplace else, YOU QUIT and go someplace else.

But not in the dream world of American labor unions. In that dream world you can get the information, take the job, then YEARS later say to the employer, "This is unacceptable!" and demand more money, better benefits, better working conditions, or whatever you like.

How does this work? You have accepted the job knowing all of those things. If it wasn't acceptable, then you shouldn't have taken the job. If you later find out that you can do better someplace else, then GO THERE! What moral, ethical, or legal right do you have to attempt to destroy the business because you changed your mind?

This phenomenon even goes beyond unions. What about the thousands of people who signed up to be Uber drivers? The paperwork emphasizes that YOU ARE NOT AN EMPLOYEE! You are a contractor. You are responsible for your own taxes, benefits, and working conditions. I went through all of that several years ago, and those things are emphasized over and over again in the paperwork.

Then they go to the State and demand that their status be changed to EMPLOYEE because they don't think this is fair. This is bullshit. If you don't want to be an independent contractor, don't sign the paperwork and don't drive for Uber. If you think you can get a better deal someplace else, then GO THERE!

And the Media, of course, reports these things a "evil employers trying to beat down their employees."

This is also bullshit.

I won't get into people who take out thousands and thousands of dollars in loans to go to school, then...

Well, you know all about it.

Also bullshit.
Many people don't realize that the only reason employers provide health insurance is because of WWII. It was started voluntarily by many employers to lure people to work for their company during a labor shortage because of WWII. It proved so successful that it has continued to this day.

The gist of the thread is that one knows the requirements when one is hired and should simply accept that.

12 hour days at $2.00 a day is what people were supposed to just accept according to the argument.

One refuses to understand that business is a two way street. If every single Ford employee had just quit as opposed to simply accepting the long hours and low wages, where would Ford be today?
Exactly where Ford Motors is today.

As you know, Henry Ford invented the assembly line, drastically reducing the cost of production while raising the pay of workers.

As I said, unions are a burden on workers today along with being worthless. The only place they have any growth is with government workers which are beyond corrupt and damaging. Even FDR knew that there should be no unions for public workers.

Do you have any question as to the value of unions having witnessed the tragic damage they have done to ur children today?

2021%20Teacher%20Unions-S.jpg

Many people don't realize that the only reason employers provide health insurance is because of WWII. It was started voluntarily by many employers to lure people to work for their company during a labor shortage because of WWII. It proved so successful that it has continued to this day.
Good point. Interesting that the fed froze wages for all employers to combat inflation.

I wonder how that would go over now?

Exactly where Ford Motors is today.

As you know, Henry Ford invented the assembly line, drastically reducing the cost of production while raising the pay of workers

After they went on strike. Ford understood that assembly line or not he could not operate without them.

As I said, unions are a burden on workers today along with being worthless. The only place they have any growth is with government workers which are beyond corrupt and damaging. Even FDR knew that there should be no unions for public workers.

With the labor shortages we see more and more standing up for themselves.

Do you have any question as to the value of unions having witnessed the tragic damage they have done to ur children today?

2021%20Teacher%20Unions-S.jpg

The teachers union didn't shut down the schools. Where I live it was the Republican governor of Ohio and WV.

In this particular case I stand with the employees 100 percent and against the employer 100 percent. The employer needs to stop being greedy and mistreating the employees.

With the labor shortages we see more and more standing up for themselves.
As you know, we do not have a labor shortage. We have the government paying far too many workers to not work and to stay home. It really is that simple.

2022-10-11_17-14-42-XL.jpg

The teachers union didn't shut down the schools. Where I live it was the Republican governor of Ohio and WV.

say-S.jpg

Hair splitting is a standard practice of the far left as well as that of fact-checkers. Once the government stupidly closed the schools, many, but not all governments kowtowed to the unions in not allowing them to re-open. We are blessed here in Florida to have Governor DeSantis who really did follow the science and NOT the unions.

As you know, we do not have a labor shortage. We have the government paying far too many workers to not work and to stay home. It really is that simple.

2022-10-11_17-14-42-XL.jpg

say-S.jpg

Hair splitting is a standard practice of the far left as well as that of fact-checkers. Once the government stupidly closed the schools, many, but not all governments kowtowed to the unions in not allowing them to re-open. We are blessed here in Florida to have Governor DeSantis who really did follow the science and NOT the unions.

Unemloyment benefits due to covid ended eons ago. Only bad employers can't find workers. There are no employee shortages.

I've also had many jobs, which two of them were union procured jobs.

I can tell you from experience that unions are more corrupt than the Democrats, Libs, Nazis, the legal system, and all CEO's combined!
They give you platitudes to seduce you into their web of lies and lethargy. Then they lie to you about everything they do for you. And if you have a problem with your job or company you work for, it's ALL a fucking puppet show for YOUR benefit......where NOTHING gets done and NOTHING is solved.

They lie, cheat, steal, and manipulate right in your face, and there's NOTHING you can do about it, because the government has given unions in this country Carte Blanche to do as they please. The ONLY time they "do" anything at all, is when their free money flow is questioned or can possibly be halted or stopped.

And the ONLY thing they DO do, is take your money, call it "dues", and sit on their fat, corrupt asses, laughing at all those people who they are supposed to protect and work for..............because also like the goverment, police, and CEOs, they just sit on their fat asses doing as they please, because they have SO many fuktards handing their money over to them every month.

What nice, cushy "job" unions have. If you ever think a union is working on YOUR behalf, I laugh!
So you refused the pay improvements provided by union collective bargaining, right?

Unions have become the perfect tool for Marxists. Sets up a formalized worker class divide and makes them resentful and passionate about demanding policies that will hurt their chances at future employment. Perfect set up for them.

Forum List

Back