The Trump Administration

Romney is a neocon globalist of the 1st degree............surely you understand my reservations.
Did you just say that with a straight face? Donald Trump is the ultimate "neocon globalist of the 10th degree". Mitt Romney has more conservative bones in his left index finger than Trump has in his entire body.

How can you even complain about "neocons" while worshipping Trump? That is unbelievable...

You're wrong, which is why Romney will not become SoS. You took the bait........:dance:.
Uh....I took what "bait"? And why do you complain about "necons" while supporting the ultimate neocon the U.S. has ever seen? :dunno:

You no like my yellow-faced dancing man? You must think I'm stupid..............:slap:.

Because people from Oregon benefit from being able to go to good universities in SC and they also benefit from getting well educated kids from other states to come to Oregon universities, and every state benefits from having a better educated workforce... bottom line the better our education is in all states is a benefit to all of our citizens.
Yeah...Joseph Stalin, Fidel Castro, Saddam Hussein, and Hugo Chavez all made that same claim. It didn't work out so well.

And at the end of the day, it doesn't even matter if it were true. It is illegal. Making the claim that it "benefits society" and thus justifies criminal activity is like saying that it's ok to rape women since births are down in the U.S. Sorry, but it just doesn't work that way. It's not ok to break the law because you deem it "good" for society.
Instead of giving a long winded response let me ask why you think it is illegal to have a department of education?

Romney is a neocon globalist of the 1st degree............surely you understand my reservations.
Did you just say that with a straight face? Donald Trump is the ultimate "neocon globalist of the 10th degree". Mitt Romney has more conservative bones in his left index finger than Trump has in his entire body.

How can you even complain about "neocons" while worshipping Trump? That is unbelievable...

You're wrong, which is why Romney will not become SoS. You took the bait........:dance:.
Patriot, it's usually you and I going head to head but I must say it's quite amusing to be in agreement with you as you argue against a wingnut... they can be quite obnoxious in their senseless blubber

Because people from Oregon benefit from being able to go to good universities in SC and they also benefit from getting well educated kids from other states to come to Oregon universities, and every state benefits from having a better educated workforce... bottom line the better our education is in all states is a benefit to all of our citizens.
Yeah...Joseph Stalin, Fidel Castro, Saddam Hussein, and Hugo Chavez all made that same claim. It didn't work out so well.

And at the end of the day, it doesn't even matter if it were true. It is illegal. Making the claim that it "benefits society" and thus justifies criminal activity is like saying that it's ok to rape women since births are down in the U.S. Sorry, but it just doesn't work that way. It's not ok to break the law because you deem it "good" for society.
Instead of giving a long winded response let me ask why you think it is illegal to have a department of education?
Because the Constitution clearly restricts the federal government to 18 enumerated powers and education is not one of them. The same goes for the Department of Energy. The FDA. The list goes on and on.

Because the Constitution clearly restricts the federal government to 18 enumerated powers and education is not one of them. The same goes for the Department of Energy. The FDA. The list goes on and on.
I'm sure youve had this conversation many times involving many different subjects regarding the interpretation of "general welfare" in the constitution as it is basically what separates the liberal agenda and conservative agenda... I'm not a hardliner on either side, I read the Taxing and Spending clause of the constitution and see justification for congress to create initiatives like the DOE, but I also understand your desire to limit the reach and think that it is a fair discussion to have. It's all about interpretation and is not black and white. Congress has the right to create laws and appropriate funds to initiatives that they feel will benefit our citizens. I think it important to pursue good ideas that can progress our country but also necessary for conservative voices to keep it in check as the government hasn't proven be the most efficient of executors.

here are few people in politics that deserve more respect than Mitt Romney. He's bright, he's articulate, he's experienced, and he has a great demeanor.

And if he's joining Rump he's a flaming hypocrite after he laid it on the line during the primary.

In addition, there is nobody quite like Nikki Haley. She's almost like the female version of Mitt Romney.

Ah I think you're selling her short. Nikki Haley's a very smart cookie who can probably handle anything. And she deserves better that South Freaking Carolina. This one's a winner -- but put her in a spot where she can use her head.
Romney will be serving the country, and it's citizen's. Not Trump

"and it is citizen is"? :wtf:

Who will be serving apostrophes? Oprah Winfrey?
YOU get an apostrophe and YOU get an apostrophe and YOU get an apostrophe....

Oh well, I agree with the second part --- Rump will certainly not be serving the country. I've said that from the beginning.
Next time you say something asinine with a mouth full of food.... you can thank me.

I'm sure youve had this conversation many times involving many different subjects regarding the interpretation of "general welfare" in the constitution as it is basically what separates the liberal agenda and conservative agenda... I'm not a hardliner on either side, I read the Taxing and Spending clause of the constitution and see justification for congress to create initiatives like the DOE, but I also understand your desire to limit the reach and think that it is a fair discussion to have. It's all about interpretation and is not black and white. Congress has the right to create laws and appropriate funds to initiatives that they feel will benefit our citizens. I think it important to pursue good ideas that can progress our country but also necessary for conservative voices to keep it in check as the government hasn't proven be the most efficient of executors.
Yeah....but here is the problem Slade. Congress didn't create the Department of Education. Jimmy Carter did. All by himself.

Yeah....but here is the problem Slade. Congress didn't create the Department of Education. Jimmy Carter did. All by himself.
You are right, and despite the following administrations numerous attempts and campaign promises to shut it down, Regan couldn't get it done during his first term, dropped the call to dismantle during his second term, then you had Bush who evolved the GOPs position to fund and support it which has been what's happened for over three decades and 4 administrations

Last edited:
I'm sure youve had this conversation many times involving many different subjects regarding the interpretation of "general welfare" in the constitution as it is basically what separates the liberal agenda and conservative agenda...
The founders were very clear - "for the General Welfare" was in regards to the 18 specific powers delegated to the federal government by the states.

Congress had not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but were restrained to those specifically enumerated; and that, as it was never meant they should provide for that welfare but by the exercise of the enumerated powers, so it could not have been meant they should raise money for purposes which the enumeration did not place under their action” - Thomas Jefferson (June 6, 1817)

“[We] disavow, and declare to be most false and unfounded, the doctrine that the [Constitution], in authorizing its federal branch to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts, and excises to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States, has given them thereby a power to do whatever they may think, or pretend, would promote the general welfare–which construction would make that of itself a complete government, without limitation of powers.… The plain sense and obvious meaning were that they might levy the taxes necessary to provide for the general welfare by the various acts of power therein specified and delegated to them, and by no others. – Thomas Jefferson (December 24, 1825)

You are right, and despite the following administrations numerous attempts and campaign promises to shut it down, Regan couldn't get it done during his first term, dropped the call to dismantle during his second term, then you had Bush who evolved the GOPs position to fund and support it which has been what's happened for over three decades and 4 administrations
I don't understand that at all. Since it was created by executive fiat under the executive branch the president has full authority to shut it down any time he or she wishes. They do not need an act of Congress. Anything under the executive branch is under full control of the president.

All Trump needs to do is pick up the phone and tell them they are all being laid off, then sell the building.

I don't understand that at all. Since it was created by executive fiat under the executive branch the president has full authority to shut it down any time he or she wishes. They do not need an act of Congress. Anything under the executive branch is under full control of the president.

All Trump needs to do is pick up the phone and tell them they are all being laid off, then sell the building.
That's a good question, this is what wiki has to say about it... anything to add?

The Republican Party platform of 1980 called for the elimination of the Department of Education created under Carter and President Ronald Reagan promised during the 1980 presidential election to eliminate it as a cabinet post,[22] but he was not able to do so with a Democratic House of Representatives. In the 1982 State of the Union Address, he pledged:

“ The budget plan I submit to you on Feb. 8 will realize major savings by dismantling the Department of Education.[18]
By 1984 the GOP had dropped the call for elimination from its platform, and with the election of President George H. W. Bush the Republican position evolved in almost lockstep with that of the Democrats, with Goals 2000 a virtual joint effort.

After the Newt Gingrich led "revolution" in 1994 had taken control of both Houses of Congress, federal control of and spending on education soared. That trend continued unabated despite the fact that the Republican Party made abolition of the Department a cornerstone of 1996 platform and campaign promises, calling it an inappropriate federal intrusion into local, state, and family affairs.[18] The GOP platform read:

“ The Federal government has no constitutional authority to be involved in school curricula or to control jobs in the market place. This is why we will abolish the Department of Education, end federal meddling in our schools, and promote family choice at all levels of learning.[18][23]
(During his 1996 presidential run, Senator Bob Dole promised, "We're going to cut out the Department of Education."[23])

In 2000, the Republican Liberty Caucus passed a resolution to abolish the Department of Education.[24]

Abolition of the organization was not pursued under the George W. Bush administration, which made reform of federal education a key priority of the President's first term. In 2008 and 2012, presidential candidate Ron Paulcampaigned in part on an opposition to the Department.

That's a good question, this is what wiki has to say about it... anything to add?

The Republican Party platform of 1980 called for the elimination of the Department of Education created under Carter and President Ronald Reagan promised during the 1980 presidential election to eliminate it as a cabinet post,[22] but he was not able to do so with a Democratic House of Representatives. In the 1982 State of the Union Address, he pledged:

“ The budget plan I submit to you on Feb. 8 will realize major savings by dismantling the Department of Education.[18]
By 1984 the GOP had dropped the call for elimination from its platform, and with the election of President George H. W. Bush the Republican position evolved in almost lockstep with that of the Democrats, with Goals 2000 a virtual joint effort.

After the Newt Gingrich led "revolution" in 1994 had taken control of both Houses of Congress, federal control of and spending on education soared. That trend continued unabated despite the fact that the Republican Party made abolition of the Department a cornerstone of 1996 platform and campaign promises, calling it an inappropriate federal intrusion into local, state, and family affairs.[18] The GOP platform read:

“ The Federal government has no constitutional authority to be involved in school curricula or to control jobs in the market place. This is why we will abolish the Department of Education, end federal meddling in our schools, and promote family choice at all levels of learning.[18][23]
(During his 1996 presidential run, Senator Bob Dole promised, "We're going to cut out the Department of Education."[23])

In 2000, the Republican Liberty Caucus passed a resolution to abolish the Department of Education.[24]

Abolition of the organization was not pursued under the George W. Bush administration, which made reform of federal education a key priority of the President's first term. In 2008 and 2012, presidential candidate Ron Paulcampaigned in part on an opposition to the Department.
Mmmm...doesn't make any sense to me. If a president creates something by themselves under the executive branch, another president should be able to eliminate it themselves. I know if I were Trump, I would just eliminate it. At worst, someone would challenge it and it would go through the court system.

And yet Mitt really hasn't been that conservative.

And yet Mitt really hasn't been that conservative.
Such as?

I knew Donald Trump would let us down. I allowed myself to get exited for a minute and I knew better. It was bad enough he didn't appoint Mitt Romney to Secretary of State but not appointing Ted Cruz to the Supreme Court is devastating. The United States desperately needed him as a Justice. An Antonin Scalia comes along once in a generation. We had the golden opportunity to replace one Scalia with another Scalia and it was lost. :crybaby:

Here’s the Potential Short List for Trump’s Supreme Court Pick

This is who the Republican party chose to be our President

Trumps dark side.gif

Forum List

Back