The 'Taliban' in Our Midst

The general was speaking about religion while in uniform and in public. That's a no-no.

The USAF doesn't think so. You're pissing into the wind

How do you know the USAF doesn't think so?

:asshole:

But the Air Force has decided that Olson did not break Air Force Instruction 1-1 by speaking at the "congressionally-supported event," said service spokesman Lt. Col. Pete Hughes.

"His remarks were his own personal opinions and do not represent the views of the United States Air Force," Hughes said in an email Thursday to Air Force Times.

A spokesman for the National Day of Prayer Task Force told Air Force Times on May 15 that Olson spoke at an event hosted by U.S. Rep. Robert Aderholt, R-Ala.

Air Force won t punish general for speech about God

From the OP:

What US Air Force Major General Craig Olson did was particularly egregious. Not only does he display by his remarks the naivete of a twelve-year-old Boy Scout -- and thus call into immediate, serious question the billions of dollars and hundreds of young lives entrusted to his care and leadership -- he also repeatedly calls on a single religion, indeed seems almost entranced by that religion, in uniform, in public, and on, of all things, God TV, an international broadcast. As a soldier of 31 years myself, I found his exhortations discomfiting, dismaying, and dangerous. Frankly, I also found them flatly incredible: I had never heard such words uttered by a general officer in my life.

From the OP:

What US Air Force Major General Craig Olson did was particularly egregious. Not only does he display by his remarks the naivete of a twelve-year-old Boy Scout -- and thus call into immediate, serious question the billions of dollars and hundreds of young lives entrusted to his care and leadership -- he also repeatedly calls on a single religion, indeed seems almost entranced by that religion, in uniform, in public, and on, of all things, God TV, an international broadcast. As a soldier of 31 years myself, I found his exhortations discomfiting, dismaying, and dangerous. Frankly, I also found them flatly incredible: I had never heard such words uttered by a general officer in my life.
81GNdMj.gif

The general was speaking about religion while in uniform and in public. That's a no-no.

But the Air Force has decided that Olson did not break Air Force Instruction 1-1 by speaking at the "congressionally-supported event," said service spokesman Lt. Col. Pete Hughes.

"His remarks were his own personal opinions and do not represent the views of the United States Air Force," Hughes said in an email Thursday to Air Force Times.

A spokesman for the National Day of Prayer Task Force told Air Force Times on May 15 that Olson spoke at an event hosted by U.S. Rep. Robert Aderholt, R-Ala.

Wilkerson already knew that when he wrote his OP.

Wilkerson already knew that when he wrote his OP.

He should have known better, nothing will come of this and another libtard wet dream will go to shit

n-US-AIR-FORCE-MAJOR-GENERAL-CRAIG-OLSON-large570.jpg

Military officers who wear their religion on their sleeve are a danger to our country at any time, but especially after the terrorists attacks of September 11, 2001.

Whether it's US Army Lieutenant General William G. Boykin telling his audience that "My God is bigger than his" in the close aftermath of that tragedy, or the more recent example of US Air Force Major General Craig Olson saying in uniform and in public -- and speaking in tones far more like a preacher than a military officer -- "I am a redeemed believer in Christ," these are dangerous men, making dangerous displays of religion.

Moreover, such displays occur in an environment where they are strictly prohibited by secular rules. These rules -- and in the case of the US Air Force, written regulations -- are in place for a reason.

First, they protect the Constitutional separation of church and state. No government representative should be seen advocating for any religion, period. We officers, when we take the oath of office, surrender for the duration of our service the privilege of publicly professing our religion, of "wearing it on our sleeve."

Second, these rules protect the good order and discipline of the military. Many religions -- and no religion at all -- exist throughout the ranks. To profess a particular religion from a leadership position is detrimental to that order and discipline. How might, for example, a Jewish soldier feel when his lieutenant professes his belief in Jesus before his platoon? A Muslim soldier? An atheist?

In addition, a flag officer (a general or admiral) must be doubly careful because so many men and women are influenced by or fall under the sway and power of his or her every word and deed. Sometimes it might be thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, as was the case when I served then-chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, General Colin Powell -- who, incidentally, would never have worn his religion on his sleeve.

Third, and becoming increasingly relevant every day that passes, public professions of religion by military officers give groups such as al-Qaeda, ISIS, al-Nusra and other religious fanatics superb propaganda to use against our soldiers in the field and against us, as a nation. We, in effect, become no better than they, some sort of American taliban. As such, we excite more recruits, more followers, more zealots to their banners. We also grievously undermine our own cause, just as we undermine our own Constitution.

Should the USAF punish him? Clearly, he has violated law and regulation. There is no doubt about that. But should he be punished?

The USAF is understandably afraid of certain members of the US Congress, as are all the Services when it comes to presenting an overt challenge to what these members of Congress believe is "every Christian's right to profess his or her religion, no matter the circumstances."

Congress' constant dalliance with such pseudo-Christian organizations as James Dobson's Focus on the Family -- whose members most remind me of the people at the famous Scopes trial in Tennessee, who for the most part were hopelessly ignorant -- exacerbates this fear.

It was Dobson's wife's organization that sponsored the event during which Olson made his stunningly impassioned remarks. The event was camouflaged under the aegis of one Alabama Republican's name -- Congressman Robert Aderholt -- but everyone with any insight into Washington knows that Dobson was behind the entire event.

More: The Taliban in Our Midst: Lawrence B. Wilkerson

The laws against religious proselytizing by U.S. military personnel should be more strongly enforced, and those who disobey should be dealt with severely. Upholding the U.S. Constitution should supersede all religious beliefs. The U.S. Constitution's separation of church and state does not give preference to any religion. The founding fathers were very wise in that regard.
You need to go to Texas and do a sun dance.

There is no Constitutional separation of church and state.

Why is it that only NaziCons believe such stupid shit?

Read the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. Nowhere does it say anything about separation of Religion and State. All it says is that Congress shall make no law respecting (concerning) the establishment of a religion.
Actually, by the Constitution the States retain the authority to make laws concerning religion.

Military officers who wear their religion on their sleeve are a danger to our country at any time, but especially after the terrorists attacks of September 11, 2001.

Whether it's US Army Lieutenant General William G. Boykin telling his audience that "My God is bigger than his" in the close aftermath of that tragedy, or the more recent example of US Air Force Major General Craig Olson saying in uniform and in public -- and speaking in tones far more like a preacher than a military officer -- "I am a redeemed believer in Christ," these are dangerous men, making dangerous displays of religion.

Moreover, such displays occur in an environment where they are strictly prohibited by secular rules. These rules -- and in the case of the US Air Force, written regulations -- are in place for a reason.

First, they protect the Constitutional separation of church and state. No government representative should be seen advocating for any religion, period. We officers, when we take the oath of office, surrender for the duration of our service the privilege of publicly professing our religion, of "wearing it on our sleeve."

Second, these rules protect the good order and discipline of the military. Many religions -- and no religion at all -- exist throughout the ranks. To profess a particular religion from a leadership position is detrimental to that order and discipline. How might, for example, a Jewish soldier feel when his lieutenant professes his belief in Jesus before his platoon? A Muslim soldier? An atheist?

In addition, a flag officer (a general or admiral) must be doubly careful because so many men and women are influenced by or fall under the sway and power of his or her every word and deed. Sometimes it might be thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, as was the case when I served then-chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, General Colin Powell -- who, incidentally, would never have worn his religion on his sleeve.

Third, and becoming increasingly relevant every day that passes, public professions of religion by military officers give groups such as al-Qaeda, ISIS, al-Nusra and other religious fanatics superb propaganda to use against our soldiers in the field and against us, as a nation. We, in effect, become no better than they, some sort of American taliban. As such, we excite more recruits, more followers, more zealots to their banners. We also grievously undermine our own cause, just as we undermine our own Constitution.

Should the USAF punish him? Clearly, he has violated law and regulation. There is no doubt about that. But should he be punished?

The USAF is understandably afraid of certain members of the US Congress, as are all the Services when it comes to presenting an overt challenge to what these members of Congress believe is "every Christian's right to profess his or her religion, no matter the circumstances."

Congress' constant dalliance with such pseudo-Christian organizations as James Dobson's Focus on the Family -- whose members most remind me of the people at the famous Scopes trial in Tennessee, who for the most part were hopelessly ignorant -- exacerbates this fear.

It was Dobson's wife's organization that sponsored the event during which Olson made his stunningly impassioned remarks. The event was camouflaged under the aegis of one Alabama Republican's name -- Congressman Robert Aderholt -- but everyone with any insight into Washington knows that Dobson was behind the entire event.

The laws against religious proselytizing by U.S. military personnel should be more strongly enforced, and those who disobey should be dealt with severely. Upholding the U.S. Constitution should supersede all religious beliefs. The U.S. Constitution's separation of church and state does not give preference to any religion. The founding fathers were very wise in that regard.
You need to go to Texas and do a sun dance.

No real indian tribe would claim someone like this turkey.

HUH?

Did you forget that since 1914 the US has become a warfare state:

"The cult of the uniform has spread to churches as well. Many churches encourage members of the military to wear their uniforms to church on the Sunday before the three national military appreciation days (Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Veterans Day). Woe be to the unsuspecting Christian if one of these days falls on a Sunday! Sometimes military guest speakers are invited for one of these services. Special military appreciation days are also held throughout the year. Prayers are offered for those serving in “harm’s way” (but never for their victims). Military chaplains are held in high esteem. Some churches put slogans on their signs or in their bulletins about U.S. troops dying for our freedoms like Christ died for our sins. Young men (and women) who announce that they are joining the military are applauded in church more than those who announce their surrender to some foreign mission field.
"

Lakhota

You know ISIS gives free flying lessons to gays and those who support them, don't you? Of course, they don't guarantee you'll soar like an eagle. Would you settle for flap like a chicken?

And if you disagree with the military's stance on religion, maybe you should enlist where you can go tell them about that!

We must honor all veterans on Memorial Day.

:disagree: with the "all"...... e.g.,

Nidal Malik Hasan (born September 8, 1970, in Arlington County, Virginia) is a Palestinian-American convicted of fatally shooting 13 people and injuring more than 30 others in the Fort Hood mass shooting on November 5, 2009.[3] Hasan was a United States Army psychiatrist and Medical Corps major who admitted to the shootings at his court-martial in August 2013.[3][4][5] A jury panel of thirteen officers convicted him of 13 counts of premeditated murder, 32 counts of attempted murder, and unanimously recommended Hasan be formally dismissed from the service andsentenced to death.[3][6][7] Hasan is incarcerated at the United States Disciplinary Barracks atFort Leavenworth in Kansas awaiting execution while his case is reviewed by appellate courts.
so you want to honor that fucking scumbag ?

:fu: .......... :asshole: ............. :up_yours:

We must honor all veterans on Memorial Day.

:disagree: with the "all"...... e.g.,

Nidal Malik Hasan (born September 8, 1970, in Arlington County, Virginia) is a Palestinian-American convicted of fatally shooting 13 people and injuring more than 30 others in the Fort Hood mass shooting on November 5, 2009.[3] Hasan was a United States Army psychiatrist and Medical Corps major who admitted to the shootings at his court-martial in August 2013.[3][4][5] A jury panel of thirteen officers convicted him of 13 counts of premeditated murder, 32 counts of attempted murder, and unanimously recommended Hasan be formally dismissed from the service andsentenced to death.[3][6][7] Hasan is incarcerated at the United States Disciplinary Barracks atFort Leavenworth in Kansas awaiting execution while his case is reviewed by appellate courts.
so you want to honor that fucking scumbag ?

:fu: .......... :asshole: ............. :up_yours:

I think I'll pass honoring this one.

Arlington Cemetery Gravestones Honor America's Fallen Soldiers Of Every (And No) Faith

On Memorial Day we honor the men and women who have died in service for their country. At Arlington National Cemetery, these fallen soldiers lie side by in a remarkable display of religious diversity within the U.S. armed forces.

Baha'is lay beside Jews; Muslims beside Christians; Hindus beside Wiccans. The cemetery offers over 60 religious symbols with which to engrave headstones -- some of which may be familiar and others rarely viewed in public spaces.

Here is a sampling of some of the religious and non-religious headstones at Arlington National Cemetery:

More: Arlington Cemetery Gravestones Honor America's Fallen Soldiers Of Every And No Faith

Honor all veterans who have served honorably.

Oh Gawd, he we go. Another Communist/Progressive wanker expressing their deranged hatred for Christians. These loons have no credibility. When they start attacking and insulting Islam with the same hateful zeal, i might give em some credibility. Till then, i'll just continue to say they're deranged hateful cowards.

Forum List

Back