The State Of The Union Address

Obama claiming he is now going to freeze government spending is to fiscal responsibility what an arsonist who set a fire is to showing up to help put it out.

Just sayin'.

*Yawn*

Good morning all! Obama got everything fixed yet?

Not quite. He still hasn't defeated Evul Rush Limbaugh.

boedicca-albums-boedicca-s-stuff-picture2894-unicorn-obama-limbaugh.jpg

My absolute favorite part of the speech was the crap about 'high speed trains'..... quicker than flying and... apparently... without the 'pat downs'.... he's apparently not smart enough to recognize the massive potential terrorist threat for such a great target. What a fucking idiot.

you get up on the wrong side of the bed today?

Its just a giant shell game. The Agriculture shell has subsidies for food production, then we take money from farmers to pay for trains connecting the big cities in shell number two. All the time government holds your money and is "helping" people.

I don't think the gubbmint is good at running trains. Izz they? No! they izz not.

Obama claiming he is now going to freeze government spending is to fiscal responsibility what an arsonist who set a fire is to showing up to help put it out.

Just sayin'.

All that means,, as Krauthammer said it. is... obie wan will continue to spend at the levels he has been spending. vewy sly that obie wan. vewy sly.

And since it's not the kids fault that they were illegally brought to the USA then we should embrace them, educate them, clothe and feeds them...... BS

Lefties should be all over the place today with their praise for the president's eloquence but it don't seem to be hap'nin. The speech was lifeless and flat. The president's lame attempt as a stand up comedian fell flat. If you get a chance to see a clip of the "smoked oyster" joke look at Boehner's expression behind him. Obama was in a bind. He couldn't admit that his Trillion dollar stimulous was a failure so he prattled along with the usual B.S. about education and research while calling for cuts in spending.

Just sayin'.

But he doesn't want to freeze spendingt back at 2008 levels which were unsustainable over the long haul then. He wants to freeze it at the current trillion dollar deficit level which is insane.

Just sayin'.

But he doesn't want to freeze spendingt back at 2008 levels which were unsustainable over the long haul then. He wants to freeze it at the current trillion dollar deficit level which is insane.

He did his best to sound like he was moving to the right without pissing off too much of his base.

Obama was writing checks we can't repay.

What total stupidity to suggest we can subsudize illiegal's education and health care needs until they can take a job from someone here legally. It flies in the face of solving the unemployment problem, cutting government expenditures and providing affordable healthcare.

Money saving tip: Spend money on Americans, not illegals or for distant lands. Spending local ways improves the local economy faster.

What total stupidity to suggest we can subsudize illiegal's education and health care needs until they can take a job from someone here legally. It flies in the face of solving the unemployment problem, cutting government expenditures and providing affordable healthcare.

Money saving tip: Spend money on Americans, not illegals or for distant lands. Spending local ways improves the local economy faster.

A better money saving tip. Spend money on what the federal government absolutely HAS to spend money on and then stop spending altogether. Look to revise or eliminate ALL regulation that does not protect our rights and well being, revise tax structures, mandates, and fees so that American business will become world market competitive again and then turn it loose to do what Americans do better than any other.

The recession should be over within a few weeks or short months at most and the President's approval ratings would be going off the charts except with the hardcore political class. If he was a really wise man he could live with that.

A better money saving tip. Spend money on what the federal government absolutely HAS to spend money on and then stop spending altogether. Look to revise or eliminate ALL regulation that does not protect our rights and well being, revise tax structures, mandates, and fees so that American business will become world market competitive again and then turn it loose to do what Americans do better than any other.

The recession should be over within a few weeks or short months at most and the President's approval ratings would be going off the charts except with the hardcore political class. If he was a really wise man he could live with that.

I'd help circulate a petition to end term limits on the President, if he could do that.

heres my lowdown...I like many others including a healthy constituency of Dems were underwhelmed....same old same old lacking pizazz...

that's why I don't watch it, I read it.

Our free enterprise system is what drives innovation. But because it's not always profitable for companies to invest in basic research, throughout history our government has provided cutting-edge scientists and inventors with the support that they need. That's what planted the seeds for the Internet. That's what helped make possible things like computer chips and GPS.
Just think of all the good jobs – from manufacturing to retail – that have come from those breakthroughs.
Half a century ago, when the Soviets beat us into space with the launch of a satellite called Sputnik¸ we had no idea how we'd beat them to the moon. The science wasn't there yet. NASA didn't even exist. But after investing in better research and education, we didn't just surpass the Soviets; we unleashed a wave of innovation that created new industries and millions of new jobs.
This is our generation's Sputnik moment. Two years ago, I said that we needed to reach a level of research and development we haven't seen since the height of the Space Race. In a few weeks, I will be sending a budget to Congress that helps us meet that goal. We'll invest in biomedical research, information technology, and especially clean energy technology – an investment that will strengthen our security, protect our planet, and create countless new jobs for our people.

So hes just discovering all this ..now? No, its flowery prose to make it appears as if this all somehow just parachuted in…lest we forget hes made this same speech and framed this all exactly the same way last year and in his campaign btw….notice the date;

President Obama pivots to jobs as key theme
By MIKE ALLEN | 1/8/10 6:42 AM EDT
Updated: 1/8/10 7:15 PM EDT

President Barack Obama on Friday made his promised hard pivot to jobs, following up the morning’s news about a 10 percent unemployment rate by announcing $2.3 billion in tax credits for clean-energy jobs.

“We have to continue to work every single day to get our economy moving again. For most Americans, for me, that means jobs,” Obama said.
President Obama pivots to jobs as key theme - Mike Allen - POLITICO.com

At the California Institute of Technology, they're developing a way to turn sunlight and water into fuel for our cars. At Oak Ridge National Laboratory, they're using supercomputers to get a lot more power out of our nuclear facilities. With more research and incentives, we can break our dependence on oil with biofuels, and become the first country to have 1 million electric vehicles on the road by 2015.

Unicorn poopy.

And to help pay for it, I'm asking Congress to eliminate the billions in taxpayer dollars we currently give to oil companies. I don't know if you've noticed, but they're doing just fine on their own. So instead of subsidizing yesterday's energy, let's invest in tomorrow's.
Uh huh….

Yet he made a similar proposal last year that went nowhere. He sought $36.5 billion in tax increases on oil and gas companies over the next decade, but Congress largely ignored the request, even though Democrats were then in charge of both houses of Congress.

FACT CHECK: Obama and his imbalanced ledger - Yahoo! Finance

So tonight, I challenge you to join me in setting a new goal: by 2035, 80% of America's electricity will come from clean energy sources. Some folks want wind and solar. Others want nuclear, clean coal, and natural gas. To meet this goal, we will need them all – and I urge Democrats and Republicans to work together to make it happen

This is absurd, I mean completely and absolutely. Massive Unicorn poop. No detail, not a speck of it, just a cast it to the winds and the masses minus the loafs an fishes….

Over the last two years, we have begun rebuilding for the 21st century, a project that has meant thousands of good jobs for the hard-hit construction industry. Tonight, I'm proposing that we redouble these efforts.
We will put more Americans to work repairing crumbling roads and bridges. We will make sure this is fully paid for, attract private investment, and pick projects based on what's best for the economy, not politicians.

Talk about a throw away line- So, anyone for another stimulus, and more shovel ready jobs that don’t exist? And no, politics has zip to do with bids for projects….thats priceless :rolleyes:

Within the next five years, we will make it possible for business to deploy the next generation of high-speed wireless coverage to 98% of all Americans. This isn't just about a faster internet and fewer dropped calls. It's about connecting every part of America to the digital age. It's about a rural community in Iowa or Alabama where farmers and small business owners will be able to sell their products all over the world. It's about a firefighter who can download the design of a burning building onto a handheld device; a student who can take classes with a digital textbook; or a patient who can have face-to-face video chats with her doctor.

Hyperbole alert, and folks, the market place already does hits….the last thing they need is the gov. getting involved…more Unicorn poop.

To help businesses sell more products abroad, we set a goal of doubling our exports by 2014 – because the more we export, the more jobs we create at home. Already, our exports are up. Recently, we signed agreements with India and China that will support more than 250,000 jobs in the United States. And last month, we finalized a trade agreement with South Korea that will support at least 70,000 American jobs. This agreement has unprecedented support from business and labor; Democrats and Republicans, and I ask this Congress to pass it as soon as possible.
Before I took office, I made it clear that we would enforce our trade agreements, and that I would only sign deals that keep faith with American workers, and promote American jobs. That's what we did with Korea, and that's what I intend to do as we pursue agreements with Panama and Colombia, and continue our Asia Pacific and global trade talks.

Horse feathers democrat have been completely hostile and at odds with free trade agreements and trade pacts overall in the last 5 years, throwing up impossible roadblocks etc etc..…… Talk about playing fast and loose….so is this a major switch or just blarney?

So tonight, I am proposing that starting this year, we freeze annual domestic spending for the next five years. This would reduce the deficit by more than $400 billion over the next decade, and will bring discretionary spending to the lowest share of our economy since Dwight Eisenhower was president.

Uh huh. he bragged on the ‘Deficit Commission’ for a year and half….it came out with its proposals…what says he? Anyone know?

And because the American people deserve to know that special interests aren't larding up legislation with pet projects, both parties in Congress should know this: if a bill comes to my desk with earmarks inside, I will veto it.

My god, an outright lie.

On Education- Race to the Top, I give him his props.
He and Arnie Duncan recognizes one the larger issues ala education and the teachers Unions being the staunchest sppter of dems bar none he has had to pussy foot around them while trying to snare them at the same time, hes made progress and good for him.

On the war, he is basically Bush light. I think they took their eye off the shop in Iraq, but bush took his off of Afghanistan, so it’s a wash. He has been as Predatory as he can be considering, every chance he gets .

Pakistan is a time bomb, and none of his doing, he inherited that mess as Bush inherited it, because Pakistan has always been a mess.

Iran? Breathing space has been bought by Israel ala Stuxnet and Sanctions which appear to have bite, however the Iranian ruling factions are past masters of balancing these effects, dealing with what they have to along the lines of deprivation and the masses. They rule by force soooooo

Missing In Action-

-Housing crisis?
-Global Warming/climate change?
-Gitmo?

Last edited:
Smoked salmon joke was the highlight of an unconvincing and dispassionate SOU speech, not that Ryan or Bachmann really did any better.

I watched a little (30 minutes) of the SOTU last night before having something better to do (watch the final first season episode of Dexter on Netflix...the one where he kills his brother).

Obama seemed to achieve what he, or any other empty suit could: I don't expect anything more from him.

Frankly, I think it would have been more effective had he walked to the podium, slapped the hell out of Boehner (or at least cleared the chrome-plated alien spacecraft off the desk in front of him...WTF was THAT?), kicked Reid in the groin, and told the whole audience of congressman to, "GET THEIR SHIT TOGETHER," before walking out of the chamber.

The 'Sputnik moment' was an unfortunate metaphor I think. In the imminent threat from a super power USSR with a government who intended nobody any good, it was critical that the USSR not achieve space supremacy in a world with intercontinental ballistic missiles. The space race was absolutely in the interest of providing the common defense and promoting the general welfare. There was a specific goal to achieve and a specific directive to achieve that goal. We would beat Russia in putting a man on the moon. And we did.

That is vastly different than an initiative for billions dumped into R & D that will look for some vague possibility that is not defined. There is no specific target--can we still say target?--that will let us know that we have achieved success.

All the government has to do to promote clean energy, etc. is to dangle the carrot of a major tax credit or tax reduction for any industries that successfully come up with a workable prototype that can be universally utilized and mass produced. If it can be done, Americans can do it. Not one thin dime of taxpayer money has to be 'invested' in order to accomplish that.

And I cringed when he said lets stop subsidies to the oil companies. I have no problem with that, but how about stopping federal government subsidies to all companies but relax unnecessary regulation and mandates so that they can be more productive and profitable and won't have to lay off more people. Does the President all gung ho to create jobs have any clue how many Americans are employed in the oil industry and how many other industries are dependent on the oil industry for their energy needs and raw materials?

And government financed 'bullet trains' in a country about the size of a medium size or even larger U.S. state is possible. Not as practical in a nation with the third largest land area in the world.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back