The State of American Trade Schools

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
cammell-laird-apprentice-bryn-jones-aged-19-works-on-a-news-photo-83940921-1552423061.jpg

With the huge cost of colleges and universities with slim career prospects, trade schools are booming. At a fraction of a cost, the practically guarantee good wages upon graduation.

This is a golden time for postsecondary trade and tech schools. Not just because they’re becoming more profitable than ever. But because, at least according to some, they’re finally shaking off the stigma that has dogged their students, instructors, and administrators for so long. Over the past year, media from The Wall Street Journal to PBS have hailed technology schools and programs as harbingers of a new economy and reformers of a postsecondary education system that’s become over-priced, over-valued, and often irrelevant.

The revolution covers both secondary and postsecondary education.

The one big pattern you see is the abandonment of the liberal arts in favor of vocational majors."

U.S. Undergraduate Degree Categories by Median Annual Earnings

1 Architecture and engineering: $85,000

2 Computers, statistics, and mathematics: $80,000

3 Business: $67,000

4 Physical sciences: $66,000

5 Health: $66,000

6 Social sciences: $62,000

7 Biology and life sciences: $57,000

8 Agriculture and natural resources: $57,000

9 Communications and journalism: $57,000

10 Law and public policy: $56,000

11 Humanities and liberal arts: $53,000

12 Industrial arts, consumer services, and recreation: $53,000

13 Arts: $50,000

14 Psychology and social work: $47,000

15 Education: $46,000

happy-professional-craftsman-standing-in-workshop-royalty-free-image-925273036-1552423184.jpg

I’ve read where graduates of 2year or less trade schools can easily make $60+ right out of school.

You can check out this – How to Become a Skilled Tradesperson @ Skilled Trades | How To Get a Skilled Trades Job

Much more of this article @ The State of American Trade Schools

The skilled trades have been undermanned for far too long.

I hope more people will avail themselves of a career in the trades.

Many skilled trades are dominated by unions, which have their own rules for apprenticeship, etc. Then there's getting a job, which is not automatic.

Many of these schools over-promise and under-deliver.

For young guys who are smart, have a lot of strength and stamina and are a team player with leadership skills, right now is a good time the get into cement masonry.

I'm going to be training guys next month when concrete season starts. If they work out they could be making six figures within a few years, while their friends who decided to go to college to delay the responsibilities of adulthood are still racking up student loan debt.

i have a cousin who is a master plumber ....hes not starvin
whenever i would do a building or one of my tenants had a problem

DOOOOde
go fix it

I'm going on 4 decades as a tradesman, it's been a grand living.

We're hard to outsource, insource, and i don't believe we'll be replaced by robots any time soon.

So, got a kid that's good with their hands & not afraid to get dirty?

Consider a trade

~S~

Many skilled trades are dominated by unions, which have their own rules for apprenticeship, etc. Then there's getting a job, which is not automatic.

Fortunately, the number of Right to Work states are increasing which means unions no longer have a lock on the trades.

For young guys who are smart, have a lot of strength and stamina and are a team player with leadership skills, right now is a good time the get into cement masonry.

I'm going to be training guys next month when concrete season starts. If they work out they could be making six figures within a few years, while their friends who decided to go to college to delay the responsibilities of adulthood are still racking up student loan debt.

My ex-son-in-law drives a cement truck. He has a 5th grade education and makes an amazing income.

There are 7 vocational/technical/career schools here in southern Nevada and it is very difficult to get into them. One much have good grades before and maintain them in order to graduate. Most attendees have jobs BEFORE they graduate and the rest are guaranteed good jobs upon graduation.

My granddaughter is taking civil engineering at UNLV and already has a very good paying job and she's in her junior year. Will do even better when she graduates.

My kids HAD no choice upon graduating high school. They had ONE and only ONE option. A college degree. They were not allowed to even think about ANY other options. It has served them well. If a kid struggles in school it's the parents who need to look in the mirror for the cause.

You definitely have to do your research before committing to a trade school.

I'm currently studying for a certification in medical coding. Before I chose a school to study with, I went to both of the major professional organizations for that field and asked them which schools they endorsed and worked with. The school I chose is one of only a handful endorsed by both organizations.

Forum List

Back