The St. Louis Six Rescue

buttercup

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2010
I absolutely love this story. It's about six cows who escaped a slaughterhouse and ran through the streets of St. Louis in search of freedom and safety. I don't want to give away what happens, so I highly recommend taking 15 minutes to watch this short film. It's a beautiful story. :) I think the best part is towards the end, so if you watch it be sure to watch it the whole way through! ❤️💚

It's about six cows who escaped a slaughterhouse and ran through the streets of St. Louis in search of freedom and safety.

The cows didn't know they were escaping a slaughterhouse, and they went to the streets of St Louis in search of food.

When it comes to Maslow's Hierarchy, cows (most animals) needs are fulfilled if their physiological needs are met.

Cows do not seek love, self-esteem, of self-actualization.

The cows didn't know they were escaping a slaughterhouse, and they went to the streets of St Louis in search of food.

When it comes to Maslow's Hierarchy, cows (most animals) needs are fulfilled if their physiological needs are met.

It sounds like you didn't watch it. They were "feeder" cows meaning they were fed nonstop. So no, they were not searching for food, they were trying to get away from being harmed. Animals heading for slaughter can sense what is going on. They can smell the blood, and when they are next in line, they can see their friends being stabbed in the throat and hung upside down while still conscious and then dismembered. They are more intelligent than you give them credit for. At the very least they can sense danger and they just want to get away, and I think any honest person would admit that.

That's your opinion. I never said anything about "self-esteem" or "self actualization" but they sure as hell seek safety, freedom and a home where they won't be exploited and killed.

It sounds like you didn't watch it.

It sounds like you watch too much Disney ... cows don't make plans. They don't sing, or dance, or have loving relationships with other animals. They don't have strategies, or plots. They respond to situational opportunities.

Cows are grazing animals, bred from grazing animals. Grazing animals wander in search of food.

If the cows are presented with an opportunity to wander, they will do so. Even if there is food present where they are, they will continue to wander when the opportunity presents itself. That is how grazing animals came to inhabit most of the temperate zones of the planet. It is instinctual for grazing animals to wander.

When they have wandered from one place, they will wander to another, with no specific destination or goal in mind, until they find something else on which to graze which will occupy them for a time until they feel the urge to wander again.

but they sure as hell seek safety, freedom and a home where they won't be exploited and killed.

Safety is an ephemeral idea for a cow, if they aren't being attacked by a predator, they are, in their own minds, safe for the moment. Cows don't build shelters or develop defensive strategies.

Freedom isn't a concept that cows understand in a theoretical way. A cow knows if he cannot pass in a certain direction and he will continue to wander until he find a direction that isn't blocked. If no such opportunity presents itself, the cow doesn't know that it's not free.

Cows don't have "homes", they don't nest. Cows aren't territorial.

A cow doesn't understand if it's being exploited and it certainly doesn't have any concept of its own mortality.

^ I was about to reply to your last couple posts, but you know? I didn't post this thread to argue with people like you. Especially when you like to post strawmen and ignore what is being said. You're clearly not an expert on animals, so don't try to act like one. If you're just in the mood to argue or troll, go away, there are plenty of other threads posted for arguing, this one is for people who love animals.

this one is for people who love animals.

I love animals. But, I love REAL animals for what they are and what they do ... I don't love them because of some Disney-esqe anthropomorphization about animals having higher-order needs for fulfillment.

Animals are awesome (and frequently tasty) you don't need to make them into some sort of magical human/animal hybrid in order to appreciate them for what they are.

Let me know the next time you're going to rescue some cows from their concentration camp... I'd love to watch.

Cows don't have friends... they don't have dinner parties, attend social events, or go on Spring Break.
Our neighbors invited us over for a 'cow barbecue' once. Family farm that has raised cattle for many years. Spoiled cows actually. When I asked her what do we do at a cow bq she explained it was a yearly tradition to go out, have and open pit fire and ultimately just roast marshmallows. It was all very interesting actually. The cows mulled all around us and watched us eat, talk and put sticks in the fire.

The most interesting part was when thunder rumbled in the distant. The cows formed a perfect circle of protection around us as to guard us from a threatening enemy. Neighbor said of all the years they have picnic and bq'd with the cows that was a first.

Cows don't have friends... they don't have dinner parties, attend social events, or go on Spring Break.

Wow, you just won't quit. Since you won’t go away even after I kept telling you that I didn't post this thread to argue, I’ll reply to some of your uneducated comments. Not for your sake though, because I get the feeling nothing is getting through that completely closed mind of yours, but for the sake of more reasonable people who may be reading.

Cows are herd animals, they're very social animals, and contrary to what you said they actually do form friendships and have the ability to recognize other cows or humans. That’s not only observable by people who have spent time with cows, but it's also backed up by numerous studies.

In fact just about everything you've said on the thread can be easily disproven.

... In their herds, cows keep close contact with one another and maintain their relationships using a variety of behaviours including touch, vocalisation, body language, and olfactory signals. Individual cows form particular associations, including both non-kin friendships and long-term mother-calf bonds (Marino & Allen, 2017; Reinhardt & Reinhardt, 1981;Tresoldi et al., 2015;von Keyserlingk & Weary, 2007)​

Here's more, even though I highly doubt you'll read these links, just as it appears you didn't bother to watch the video in the original post.

Last edited:
Cows don't have friends...

If you think the cow in the video below would act like that with a total stranger, then you don't understand animals at all, but that was already painfully obvious by all your posts.

And I doubt you'll click on these videos, just as you didn't watch the video in the original post, apparently.

You convince yourself of lies because facing the reality of the darker side of humanity is too uncomfortable for you to deal with.

I see God in every living creature -- particularly mamals. They absolutely do have the same THOUGHTS of living freely, the same emotions humans experience. Love, fear, anger, jealousy etc. They deserve better than Satan led humans in control of their lives

I absolutely love this story. It's about six cows who escaped a slaughterhouse and ran through the streets of St. Louis in search of freedom and safety. I don't want to give away what happens, so I highly recommend taking 15 minutes to watch this short film. It's a beautiful story. :) I think the best part is towards the end, so if you watch it be sure to watch it the whole way through! ❤️💚

We see the best and worst of humanity here. I really wanted to see Spirit make it. At least this creature was blessed to die with a loving human at its side at the end of its life.

And yes, they DO know when people intend to help them and harm them. All creatures understand this.

It sounds like you didn't watch it. They were "feeder" cows meaning they were fed nonstop. So no, they were not searching for food, they were trying to get away from being harmed. Animals heading for slaughter can sense what is going on. They can smell the blood, and when they are next in line, they can see their friends being stabbed in the throat and hung upside down while still conscious and then dismembered. They are more intelligent than you give them credit for. At the very least they can sense danger and they just want to get away, and I think any honest person would admit that.

That's your opinion. I never said anything about "self-esteem" or "self actualization" but they sure as hell seek safety, freedom and a home where they won't be exploited and killed.
Of course he didn't watch. But that won't stop him from voicing an opinion

You convince yourself of lies because facing the reality of the darker side of humanity is too uncomfortable for you to deal with.

I see God in every living creature -- particularly mamals. They absolutely do have the same THOUGHTS of living freely, the same emotions humans experience. Love, fear, anger, jealousy etc. They deserve better than Satan led humans in control of their lives

I couldn’t agree more. What’s interesting is that the average person (especially in first world countries) knows that dogs and cats have intelligence, emotions, the desire to live and enjoy life, and individual personalities. But those same people see other animals - namely the ones they eat - basically as objects, not worthy of kindness or respect.

The reality is that they’re the same as dogs and cats in all the ways that matter. In fact pigs are ranked even smarter than dogs, and according to some studies, even smarter than a three-year-old human child.

The horrific things that are done every day to farm animals – if done to dogs – would create the hugest outcry from the general public. But most people don’t blink an eye when it comes to farm animals, mainly because they don’t see it, it’s behind closed doors. And also many people choose to not look into it. I think because they know deep down that if they were to look into it, they would have to change their ways. So I think that there’s a lot of sincere ignorance but also some willful blindness as well.

Forum List

Back