The Sony Cyber Attack: A Different Perspective

Has Hollywood gone too far? Is "art" just an excuse now for peddling sensationalist crap?

• Yes.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No.

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

Silhouette

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2013
TOKYO — When Sony Pictures began casting last year for a new comedy to be called “The Interview,” early scripts included the assassination of a fictionalized North Korean ruler. It was not until auditions began that actors learned that the movie would portray something much more brazen: the violent killing of the actual leader of North Korea. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/15/w...l-incident-making-kims-head-explode.html?_r=0
I wonder how the US would feel if say Russia had a version of Hollywood where their media produced films that were seen all over the globe in huge popularity on a regular basis. A media giant so large there that their influence penetrated the cradles to the graves all over the world of how people think and act in their every day lives.

Hold that thought.

Now, imagine if that Russian "Hollywood" had made a comedy (made gleeful light and fun of) two of their famous people coming to America to assassinate our Speaker of the House, or Obama, or Dick Cheney. And not just psuedonyms but the actual person targeted, like the movie that targeted Kim Jong Un.

We wonder why we have such trouble in world relations. Our capitalism has made us completely blind to regular human relations. Hollywood is out of control and has been for decades. Using "freedom of expression in art" as their excuse, they have been whipping a bridleless horse deep into the furlongs of indecency and outright disrespect. It is no wonder that they seem taken aback, shocked that their unchecked hubris and arrogance suddenly met a brick wall.

I personally think that it's a much-overdue wakeup call. If you want to produce films that deeply offend foreign countries that are involved in despising our arrogance, then you should expect that they will fight from the corner they feel backed into.

I think the people who invested in this film are chumps that deserve to lose all their money. Next time, research your investment a little better. Indecency, smut and violence just aren't cutting it anymore. The films that seem to do the best nowadays are the ones that promote an anchor of morality in a sea of puke. Think of that storyline. It's always the one that gets the awards on the red carpet. Investors take note..

It's great seeing looney liberal George Clooneys panties get twisted by Kim Jong Un. What's coming next, a super-wedgie?

From a national security perspective, is it a wise thing to do to promote the assassination of a world leader when anger towards the US has revolved around our meddling deeply in the affairs of foreign sovereign nations to the point of criminalities? We were even attempting to meddle in our allies affairs. (Cyber spying on Germany's leadership, etc.)

There is an end to our hubris and it is called "The Sony Cyber Hacking". We have limits and legitimately so. We are soon to find that out if we keep pushing it.

My opinion, it is illegal for our country to target foreign leaders so the movie is promoting the breaking of the law. But I doubt that matters to the liberal left.

There was a movie depicting the shooting of a sitting president. Bad taste to do so.

I am thinking this film will be released in about two weeks after all the hype, what great advertisement. My wife wanted go just because of the fuss being made.

Its a freaking movie, fantasy, come on already! Possibly this is just another example of the progressive mindset that fails to distinguish between reality and fantasy and remains transfixed on political correctness regardless of expense. Ask yourself this question, have we collectively lost our sense of humor? I can understand North Korea's objection because humor doesn't exist in such dark restrictive environments, but in the free world?

Its a freaking movie, fantasy, come on already! Possibly this is just another example of the progressive mindset that fails to distinguish between reality and fantasy and remains transfixed on political correctness regardless of expense. Ask yourself this question, have we collectively lost our sense of humor? I can understand North Korea's objection because humor doesn't exist in such dark restrictive environments, but in the free world?
I had a pretty good laugh when I read the Sony exec's emails.

The hacking revealed Sony head Amy Pascal want the next James Bond to be black. This is most troubling.

The hacking revealed Sony head Amy Pascal want the next James Bond to be black. This is most troubling.

That's what I'm getting tired of; is these franchises willy nilly switching the races of franchised characters because after all, we're supposed to be 'color-blind.' Dude, you can't embrace multi-culturalism and then pretend it doesn't exist in the second place. Sony execs definitely has their heads up their asses.

Exclusive Sony Emails Reveal Studio Head Wants Idris Elba For the Next James Bond - The Daily Beast

TOKYO — When Sony Pictures began casting last year for a new comedy to be called “The Interview,” early scripts included the assassination of a fictionalized North Korean ruler. It was not until auditions began that actors learned that the movie would portray something much more brazen: the violent killing of the actual leader of North Korea. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/15/w...l-incident-making-kims-head-explode.html?_r=0
I wonder how the US would feel if say Russia had a version of Hollywood where their media produced films that were seen all over the globe in huge popularity on a regular basis. A media giant so large there that their influence penetrated the cradles to the graves all over the world of how people think and act in their every day lives.

Hold that thought.

Now, imagine if that Russian "Hollywood" had made a comedy (made gleeful light and fun of) two of their famous people coming to America to assassinate our Speaker of the House, or Obama, or Dick Cheney. And not just psuedonyms but the actual person targeted, like the movie that targeted Kim Jong Un.

We wonder why we have such trouble in world relations. Our capitalism has made us completely blind to regular human relations. Hollywood is out of control and has been for decades. Using "freedom of expression in art" as their excuse, they have been whipping a bridleless horse deep into the furlongs of indecency and outright disrespect. It is no wonder that they seem taken aback, shocked that their unchecked hubris and arrogance suddenly met a brick wall.

I personally think that it's a much-overdue wakeup call. If you want to produce films that deeply offend foreign countries that are involved in despising our arrogance, then you should expect that they will fight from the corner they feel backed into.

I think the people who invested in this film are chumps that deserve to lose all their money. Next time, research your investment a little better. Indecency, smut and violence just aren't cutting it anymore. The films that seem to do the best nowadays are the ones that promote an anchor of morality in a sea of puke. Think of that storyline. It's always the one that gets the awards on the red carpet. Investors take note..
Umm. There was a movie made which in it's main plot line was an assassination of Bush 43.....Aside from the usual protests and gum flapping on talk radio, it was more or less swept under the rug..
Now, if that same movie had been made about Obama as the target, I think the reaction in this country , at least from the political left, would be one of furious indignation.

Hold that thought.

Just idiotic.

Had Russia did that, we would not have even blinked because there is no reason to give a damn. It was not a 'wake-up' call. It was a pathetic capitulation into terrorist threats and is simply unacceptable in my book.

Try telling that to fanatics...
Remember the book "Satanic Verses"?
Forgot the name of the Author, but he was forced into hiding over the release of the book.
Whether fact or fiction, when it comes to people with extreme points of view or who have in their nature a propensity to become radically violent at even the most subtle of slights, there is no matter. These people are unable to reason. They are incapable of recognizing the difference between realism and satire.
All they know is "WHAT DID HE SAY!!!!!!?.......find him. Capture him. Bring him so that we will execute him."

American media has a funny way of becoming the expression of our culture. As such, movies like this only serve to agitate animosity towards our entire nation during a time of heightened worries about terrorism. And not just from North Korea but the world at large. This isn't a discussion about how right or wrong North Korea's government is. Its a discussion about how the US is perceived by ALL foreign eyes.

The film was sophomoric, irresponsible and wrong especially given the timing. I wouldn't go see it if theaters paid me $100. I don't generally support wanton acts of stupidity.

As usual, Obama without his own internal moral compass or a lick of common sense got his reaction wrong to the whole affair. Instead he looked to his campaign funders, the degenerate bigwigs of Hollowood and regurgitated their talking points; negligent of the fact that he runs an entire nation with vital interests separate from those of the uber left film club.

Last edited:
Just idiotic.

Had Russia did that, we would not have even blinked because there is no reason to give a damn. It was not a 'wake-up' call. It was a pathetic capitulation into terrorist threats and is simply unacceptable in my book.

What if there was a reason to give a damn? What if Russia was the one who invaded Iraq, a sovereign nation and destroyed it to steal its oil, shoving us out of the game? What if Russia had the most nuclear weapons instead of us? The biggest Navy? The most aggressive "Manifest Destiny"?

And they had a version of Hollywood too, molding and shaping all the minds of their soldiers and citizens "with entertainment!".

And then they made a movie about assassinating our actual leaders by name.

Then we would have blinked. We would be the dog backed into the corner. Try to see yourself through the eyes of others..

It's a fucking movie.
The US should buy the rights from Sony and then make it open source. Anyone can download it and burn it into a disk or whatever. Let the Chinese and Koreans copy it and dub it endelessly.
That will show that squirt what free speech is.

It's a fucking movie.
The US should buy the rights from Sony and then make it open source. Anyone can download it and burn it into a disk or whatever. Let the Chinese and Koreans copy it and dub it endelessly.
That will show that squirt what free speech is.
That's assuming flim and the influence of Hollywood on the collective psyche exists in a theoretical bubble. It doesn't. It has an impact. We'd ought to be a bit more careful in these troubled times. Hollywood is a pimp on meth and prostitutes any sensationalist crap it can to make a buck. I'm saying we shouldn't downplay the influence and the trouble this little pimp can cause the rest of us.

Don't forget, there was semi-serious talk of going to war over this. That this topic came up at all is beyond the pale. Let Hollywood rally troops and go to war for their 'freedom to peddle provacative, instigating sensationalist tripe". Let them pay for it too. They've got deep pockets. Leave the rest of us out of it.

Forum List

Back